Engine & Gearbox Manual or Auto?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by steve4536, Saturday 29th Mar, 2014.

1. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

This has probably been done to death before but I'm going to ask anyway:Smile:; I've just stated on another thread I would not go back to a manual. My reasons are 1) 4 wheels are a tool for me and I want as least work to do as possible when I'm using it. 2) We seem to be constantly queuing in traffic and the idea of wiggling that stick and pumping your left foot up and down all the time is old hat and very tedious. 3) The CR-V auto is the best I've ever driven, mine has a superb gearbox on all levels. I've had it a year now and I've really bonded with car now.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good for you different people have different requirements from their cars , and if you want hassle free driving experience then an auto is the place to be :Devil: left leg on the dash , sloughed right back in the chair and chillax:beer

Auto's infuriate me I want to be in control of when I want to change not some machine., I may get one if I get past 89:vtec:

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Automatics are great for long commutes or a more laid back driving experience, but for those of us who like to drive spirited and are interested in the performance aspects - I just don't think they're upto scratch. Whenever I'm driving an automatic I always find myself missing that finite control of the car.

That said, I haven't actually ever driven a Honda automatic, @SpeedyGee was telling me the other day how impressed he was with the auto box on an Accord Tourer. My experience with autos only comes from a Mini Countryman and a Chevrolet Tacuma which both left a lot to be desired :Laughing:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try driving a Diesel auto then you will be mighty impressed.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Auto and diesel? I might as well sign a pact with the devil.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Many a word spoken in jest....

bmw.

7. gongoozler Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I like our CR-V 2.2 manual, but trying to drive with any enthusiasm with that gearbox is awful, and it's the worst thing about the car.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was dismissing the auto diesel from the outset but was impressive its really good . try to get a spin in it you will see for yourself.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not a big fan of autos myself, although when stuck in a jam on the motorway it is far easier than constant clutch work. Was driving a 2013 Shogun last week and it has a nice auto box when taking it easy and huge amounts of torque when flooring from a standstill for such a heavy car but the kick-down has at least a 2 second delay. Not sure what the CR-V is like but for me that's totally unacceptable as the opportunity may have passed by then.