Off-Topic Margaret Thatcher died

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Monday 8th Apr, 2013.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    miners around here are on the streets cheering her death..:Blink:

3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not many would have had the balls to go to war with Argentina.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not to forget sending in the SAS to sort out the terrorist hostage at the Iranian Embassy siege.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very true, the only time SAS been used on home soil.

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Facebook seems divided about her death. It's stirred up a lot of memories and feelings.

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think she'll be a never forgotten Briton. It'll be obvious that there's divided feelings about her death but she had balls not like today's pussyfoot leaders. RIP Iron Lady

rayhoop likes this.
  8. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I won't mourn her passing. I remember having to go to court for non payment of poll tax. I was 18 years old, and lived with my mother in our council house. I owned no property so was basically being taxed for being an adult.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I believe she disliked Scotland considerably, but even with that she did good things and bad things - you can't win them all I guess. But I believe it shows pretty bad taste to celebrate her death, it's not like she committed genocide.

Blair, on the other hand, has managed to wreck the UK with what I would predict to be problems that are not only irreversible but also exponential. I see nothing but pure greed and self preservation at all costs with him. When he dies I will expect a public holiday to be awarded to the people. :Smile:

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The passing of anyone shouldn't be celebrated. Aside from Huntley, Philpott and the like.

I was too young when she was in power to comment on her policies and actions.

11. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    I agree that Blair is the true snake, not Mrs T.

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Argentinians are celebrating her death as they blame her for the deaths of their soldiers.

Err who invaded who. Idiots.

13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton

Ah well simple folk :Wave:

Still never mind ..

Thatcher had many faults but what she did have was BALLS and the courage to stand up for what she at least believed in, I admire her for that. I don't think she got it all right by any means however compared to the current/recent bunch of limp wet farts running this messed up country she was great..
    Yeah poll tax was not one of her better ideas but then what she inherited from labour was pretty crap to - oh my - deja vu :Crazy:God help us if they ever get back into power...

I find it sad that she is slated to the degree she has been, not that I am No. 1 fan just that IMHO she does not deserve it. I think if she was PM now we would not be in the crap state we are tied in to europe and all but managed by eurocrats she would have told them where to shove their eu garbage.

I say RIP Margaret, an imperfect woman in a imperfect world but a winner right or wrong.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Exactly..people are jumping on the bandwagon with an almost village mentality..

15. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

We need more Maggie thatchers in this country -
    Having been born & brought up in a mining village, I saw first hand the suffering , Agro & divides the strike caused in 1984 & it was terrible - (sadly not helped by the metropolitan police either.)..however the blame in my opinion is not hers alone- it clearly became a battle between her & Arthur scargill- and miners were the pawns-but she was right to stick to her guns !

16. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton

Well said H .. G12 is also right about the Blair witch project good old Tony he did wonders for the country and came out of it a rather richer man for it. Shame about everyone else though, we will be paying for his wonderful leadership for some years yet me thinks..

Ichiban and John Dickson like this.
  17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm pleased her funeral will be with full military honours but think we should go the full hog and have at least the funeral day as a national day of respect. Agree or not with her policies, she was the best leader this country has had since Winston Churchill. We need this sort of leadership now to sort out the mess Blair and Brown have left. It needs firm decisions (good/bad, popular/unpopular) and stick to them. Too many U turns are being made at the moment.

Yes I know the pits were closed but this was more Scargill to blame and the mindset (labour intensive, costly, inefficient...) of the industry and bully boy tactics utilised during the strike. Morpeth is only 7 miles away from probably what was the largest mining village in the country (Ashington) and although I was only 7-8 years old during the strike I can remember seeing the picket lines and there were stories of intimidation against those who still wanted to turn out to work - beatings etc. by those who wanted to strike.

No one seems to mention the good points of her leadership; save for standing up to Argentina and one person who was greatful for the opportunity to become a home owner via the Council Tenant Right to Buy Scheme. Her Government brought Nissan and Komatsu plus 1,000s of associated jobs to the North East. Also Toyota to Burnaston and Honda to Swindon (not that many of us here think that was all a good idea :lol:)

In '79 the country was in a MESS - The Sick Man of Europe and needed sorting out.

We could've ended up as bad (if not worse) again thanks to Teflon Tony and Brown :telloff:. Teflon Tony was only interested in making a name for himself and going down in history - the man who broke the Union of the UK. He wanted to equal Thatcher's record of election victories hence when he stepped down when he did. He was a Conservative really. His father was a leading member of the party, public school (Fettes College in Edinburgh) educated etc. it was just the consevative party didn't want him so he turned to the party who would have him - The Labour Party.

Primarycare and Ichiban like this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try voting blue up North it like you're strange!! we have voted red just because my dad did it and his dad did it?

What ? why ..follow the sheep syndrome. then whinge North is left behind:Blink:

John Dickson likes this.
  19. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Exactly the mindset CJ. They could put a dog turd up for election for the Labour Party candidate in most seats up here and it will win by massive majority.

- - - Updated - - -

It was proved that we'll always be a lower priorty when Teflon Tony was Prime Minister. A north east MP gets the Premiership! Hooray was the cry the north east will become the main focus..... Yea right...

Labour need do nothing for the north east, they're guaranteed to get voted in here no matter what mess they may make. Conservative get very few seats here so it's not their area of focus. Liberal Democrat can promise the earth as they rarely get the chance to deliver anyway so it doesn't matter how feasible or not the idea is.

Last edited: Tuesday 9th Apr, 2013
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I fill my electoral card whenever it turns up and vote and when I see the landslide to the reds just wonder what will it take to get hillbillies around me see the light of day..

The red gravy train is milking this generation lifestyle now that it been put in focus just shows it worth not to work.