Electrical & Lights MASSIVE bugbear !!!!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by declanswan, Saturday 19th May, 2012.

1. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

After owning an accord for 3 months im really pleased with everything, apart from the head lights !!! A, they blow every 3 weeks, i do alot of night driving and last time they blew at the same time !!!!! Couldve been very dangerous !!!! And B, when you replace the bulb its sheer pot luck as to werher youve got the beam right or not ? The other night i was lighting the tops of the trees !!!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need to look at the headlight bulb holders and check they are clean. The other option is to get your car electrics examined throughly for electrical gremlins. Use Honda genuine bulbs like me mine failed on a MOT.

3. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How are you achieving correct allignment ??

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Replacing bulbs does not affect headlight alignment? It a straight swap of your head light beam is all over the place then the bulb is not seated correctly.

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

CJ I didn't know you failed your MOT on a failed bulb. Saw no mention of it on here. :Tongue:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    When you replace your bulbs make sure you don't touch the glass as this can cause premature failure. Also if the lights are pointing in different directions every time you change the bulb it would suggest you're not seating them correctly when your installing them.

Also the type of bulb your using may be an issue. The blue tinted bulbs, which are supposed to be brighter, are far more likely to blow than original type bulbs.

8. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the replys

9. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    This seems to be a major problem with the 7th Generation i know lots of people having similar problems did't matter what bulbs i used i was going through bulbs like confetti,until i checked the fuse's.The fuse's were to high if im correct should be 10a fuse's mine had 20.s in. You will find people will tell you to put higher fuse's in but this is complete bull. Also when changing the bulb when connected give the connector a squeeze with some pliers as mine were very loose this seems to have solved the problem for me.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just for sanity check and not to rub it in with our diesel owners. No such headlight issues on the petrol cars :Smile: This bulb munching appetite is only seen on the diesels.

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine doesn't. :cool:
    As for fuse ratings, having a bigger fuse, will not make a bulb blow. All it will do is cause the wiring to burn out.

12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Yeah if I'd be getting 30mpg of my motor I'd be using it for popping in to a local shop only as well. Us diesel boys on the other hand, we spend our lives on the road, munching bulbs.:lol:

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Mad Max, road warrior...

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haha. Must be the diesels rattling away and destrying the filaments !!!

16. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Accord Diesels don't rattle, you must be thinking of VW's :Smile:

My bulbs so far have been fine have changed them all though for brighter ones but they are ok at the mo, I do a lot of driving and a fair amount at night so they do get used quite a bit..

17. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    To be honest, last summer I had to change both bulbs twice in a short period of time. Thought there was some issue but since then it went away and been on the same bulbs for the past +20k miles.

18. declanswan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its definately a strange one isnt it !!!!

19. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    I used to have this problem when I was doing up to 1k miles a week. It correlated with the lights being on for long periods (unavoidable, I don't recommend driving in the dark without your head lights on!).

I checked my connectors, which were ok. Was careful when fitting the bulbs etc... But it still happened more often than you would expect.

I found cheap halfords bulbs to be pants. The Bosch ones sold there were not much better. I had better luck with Osram nightbreakers (not nightbreaker plus). so a bought a small stock off these from Ebay. £10 a pair delivered and they tend to last better. It is far cheaper to buy a stock of spare bulbs from Ebay in advance, compared to having your pants pulled down when you are desperate.

I always keep a spare pair in the glove box (the bulbs come in a plastic storage box) just in case.