Suspension, Steering and Brakes Master Clutch Cylinder

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Nighthawk, Tuesday 26th Aug, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    So, while my car is out of action due to the VSA modulator (now awaiting to be picked up and reinstalled), I thought I would take a good hard look at the MCC on the car. It has been clicking for a while, and resorted using the lubricant as suggested by Ichiban which took the groaning away and some of the clicking however there is a lot of freeplay in where the rod connects from the clutch pedal to the actual MCC. I can wiggle around the rod (no sniggering ...lol), and it has a lot of freeplay and can push it in quite easily by hand into the MCC by around 5-7mm. It has been rough for months now, just never had the time to get the car off the road to deal with it. Now, is the perfect time.

I am going for blueprint as, from my research, they seem the closest to jap cars. I am happy that I need to change the MC, however I am debating, seeing that I am going to be opening up the system again (only bled it a few months ago in an attempt to make the clutch a bit better - didnt work), I am debating about just changing the slave cylinder as well. My reasoning being - firstly, I hate doing half a job, and secondly, the slave has done the exact same amount of work as the master, however I appreciate that it is the master which gives the most amount of issues, and is known for this in the Gen7's.

What do you guys think.... waste of money? It is not leaking fluid at all.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    CMC are the ones to change personally get a price diffrential from HH on a genuine one and a blue print one to see are you really saving money.

3. Nighthawk Guest

Thanks Ichiban - chatted with HH a couple of weeks ago, they quoted me around 110 or so I think it was which was the latest Master Cylinder from them (46920-S7A-A04). Martin said that he is not aware of this version actually addressed the clicking and groaning and actually advised me towards blueprint. I would prefer staying with OEM parts if possible but want the issue fixed as well. Having spoken to a few clutch places, they have also advised Blueprint and I was advised by MrClutch, that blueprint actually supply OEM to Honda. No idea at all how accurate that is. I can get a blue print one for around £70 brand new.

If the new Honda replacement version has addressed the issue, I would prefer to go OEM. Never been a huge fan for aftermarket stuff unless absolutely essential.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    LOL martin :Innocent: recomending non genuine parts! :crazyeyes: can't say if the non genuine route is better bud. If it was my car genuine all the way.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd say by the sounds of it going for the Blueprint part is a pretty safe bet.

6. Nighthawk Guest

So, got a squeak from the slave cylinder today. Took a closer look and it was squeaking where the slave cylinder rod connects with the clutch fork. Common problem, so took the slave off, cleaned it up a little bit in order to put some copper grease/anti seize on the end of the rod to stop this from happening. I thought, whilst I had the slave cylinder out, I would strip it down and take a look to see if I needed to change it or not. The car, when bled, is lovely for a few days, then goes back to being a bit spongy. Anyway, stripped it down and looked inside. The best way I can describe it is that it looked like there was algae on the bottom of the chamber of the slave. Cleaned it out, had another look, there was scoring on the side wall near the bottom and what appeared to be a hair line crack inside as well. Tried to take a pic of this, but the camera/phone, couldn't pick it up. I am confused how that would happen... any ideas? The crack and the algae like substance I mean, not the pitting which I know is quite normal after a while.

Anyway, did grab one of how the mold was on the spring of the piston. This was cleaned off. I have reassembled it as I still need the car, and have a new one on order.
    IMAG0489_zpsc7f6614b.