General Maybe buying an FR-V

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by richb87, Wednesday 8th Jul, 2015.

1. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom richard rhyl
    So I'm thinking of buying an FR-V. They look a lot more child friendly then my accord with more head room and an extra seat!? I never knew, its pretty cool!
    Plus the Mrs is learning to drive and I think she would struggle with the length of the accord.

So I have a few questions for you guys...

Petrol or diesel?
    If I went petrol I would be inclined to have LPG fitted for better MPG. I'm a bit concerned about buying another ICTDI engine as they do have some issues (premature chain, aux belt, manifold crack etc)
    And is there anything I should look out for when buying one?

Advice appreciated! Thanks :Smile:

Bones126 likes this.
  2. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi @richb87

I can only speak from the 2.2 ICTDI point of view, but firstly I find mine a great car. drives nice and handle not to bad too. I have the Sport so have the leather interior, satnav, heated seats, elec pac etc. The 6th seat is great and folds down for a nice arm rest and divider for when the mrs ain't happy with you lol

Only problems I have experienced with mine so far is the squeaky clutch which can be fixed with some rapid g spray and the frequency solenoid MIL warning comes on intermittently dependent on where I get my fuel from (honest, I kid you not), I have been warned that the clutch is susposivley made of chocolate and where out quickly, but mine has almost 80k on the clock and is fine. I think the issue is made worse by chipping the engine so the clutch doesn't cope well.
    Tyres seem to where on the inside on the back when tread life is low, which gives off a rubbling sound which can be mistaken as a worn wheel bearing, but by replacing the tyres gets rid of this.

Apart from those gripes. nothing else seems to be a problem and I happy I have the car and can cope with these little issues as it serves it's purpose as a 6 seater family car. HTH

richb87 and Nighthawk like this.
  3. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    I found them so good, that I have 2 at the minute, one is for my daughter, as she will soon have 3 girls.....Both are diesel, as with twice the torgue of a petrol they can be hustled along quite quickly. My main issue is the brakes, it does seem very underbraked, and I do find that I have to double pump sometimes(when driving alone!!) I have an 07 ES and a recently acquired 58 EX. Sometimes the width can be noticed on narrow side streets(especially meeting a Chelsea tractor coming the other way) but it does make it good on a long run.

I have used the ES for towing a bike trailer, and there's enough room to change etc for track days with a couple of friends.
    Decide your colour and interior option, then go for the lowest miles you can afford. Go for a test drive first, especially to compare petrol and diesel. I am glad I did!
    Good luck.

richb87 and Bones126 like this.
  4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I have owned mine for nearly a year..
    2.2 diesel , bought with 20000 on the clock and now 27000 ..

Absolutely love it. . Can get the missus and all 4 kids in and still fit all the buggies etc.
    comfortable and a nice drive.

Only gripe I have is I am used to getting a lot more MPG.

5. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your replies I have been offered a 2.0 petrol at a good price its 2005 with 92k on it. Full service history and new MOT. The car is in excellent condition.
    What you think?
    Screenshot_2015-07-09-11-38-00.

6. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think it has been for sale for a bit, but can't be sure. I had been looking since Jan so have seen a few adverts! Check what has been towed with it. It looks OK in the picture........not always the same in the flesh!

richb87 likes this.
  7. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its been up for 4 weeks I think. Does look nice in the pics and FSH is good. I have asked her a few questions just waiting on a reply

8. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay she said she has never used the tow bar obviously could be a lie. But she has receipts for all the maintenance including a recent cam change.

Is the 2.0 a reliable engine?

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cam change???

I'd walk away now!
    - - - Updated - - -
    2.0 is usually bullet proof

10. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cam belt I mean

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ain't got one squire

richb87 likes this.
  12. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chain then lol. Doesn't matter now anyway its a bloody scam! Woman won't allow me to pick up she wants me to pay via PayPal and she will have it delivered after.
    Also had someone interested in my accord and PayPal the money but was saying I need to go to western union and pay 300 for their courier. Email said they sent over the amount I asked, phoned PayPal and they had no record so would have been down 2300 if these two clowns had me but I'm to suspicious to fall for that

DeviateDefiant and garf8v like this.
  13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    What a joke! Sorry to hear that.

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    PayPal for a car purchase??? I'm really not surprised she's being cautious! I wouldn't use PayPal for anything other than low-value eBay crap (and even then I don't trust a buyer not to pull a fast one). Cash only for car selling/buying, so far as I'm concerned, why use anything else?

Regarding buying an I-CTDI, I would expect that the usual problems - chains, manifold, clutch (no aux belt concerns!) will have either been fully addressed or made themselves blindingly obvious by now... personally I'd happily buy one!

Bones126 likes this.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    NEVER EVER accept paypal payment for anything you sell that is a pick up item. Even if the money does get through the buyer can claim they never received the item or claim item is not as described and ebay/paypal always side with the buyer so you will lose everything.

DeviateDefiant and Bones126 like this.
  16. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah it was a bit sus when she said I wasn't able to view it and I had to make payment before 'delivery' I reported the ad as someone might be silly enough to fall for it

17. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why do people try it on so brazenly? At least you sussed it early. I always get an Experian check done, saved me two bad buys....
    I eventually bought from a dealer, not without it's own problems, awaiting Honda UK response. But at least I could pay a legitimate business, so can trace payment etc.
    Good luck with your search....

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The parts group I run on Facebook has really opened by eyes to how low some people can go, literally signing up for Facebook accounts, to advertise parts they don't have and try and convince people to make "gift" payments via PayPal. The horrid thing is that so many people fall for it no matter how much we try and warn them.

It became so bad we've stopped letting people into the group registered on FB for under a month, with really low friends counts, no content, no profile picture or whatever.

19. richb87 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Couldn't believe it mate to think some people would be ripped off like that for their hard earned money. Luckily the as has now been removed but I'm sure they will just make another.

On a positive note I bagged myself a very nice FR-V in black its a 2.0 i-VTEC and I love it! I'll get some pics up as soon as I can. Its even better then I thought it would be I'm surprised Honda haven't made a 2nd Generation

Bones126 and DeviateDefiant like this.
  20. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Glad you got sorted with one..
    Looking forward to seeing the photos.

Chris