Introductions mbf001 - Intro - This is me

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by mbf001, Wednesday 16th Sep, 2015.

1. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Glasgow
    Hello everyone.

Just found this forum. I'm based in Glasgow.

My Car: Accord VTEC SE EXEC 1997cc 2007 (Mk.7) UK spec. Year of 1st Registration: 2002.
    I've had three Accords over the years and they've all been very reliable, better than most makes but ordinary cars. This one is my retirement vehicle....basically a runaround car. Now I only do a couple of thousand miles per year because we have another new Honda which my wife uses most of the time and for long runs we use that.

This Accord's To Do/Repair List:
    • Rear Fuel Pipes corroded - I've no idea how to tackle this. Advice, diagrams etc would be greatly appreciated.
    • Offside Front Droplink worn a bit - spares on the way.
    • Offside Rear brake calliper inoperative - a bit of poking around to do.
    • Rear droplink gaiters perished - I'll just replace the whole droplinks.
    • Offside Front fog light cracked - can't source a suitable replacement yet.
    • Power Asssisted Steering (PAS) Pipes knackered. I managed to get a used set of pipes after many hours of hunting around but they are yet to be fitted. They're a really daft design - designed to be unnecessarily complex and why oh why they put the badly protected metal cooling section right in front of the engine coolant radiator where they'll corrode fastest is a mystery. Maybe it has something to do with generating revenue for garages??? The metal pipework should be much heavier guage and far better protected.
    For the above jobs my local Honda dealers recently quoted me £2,100!!! Being on a pension income only I can't afford that sort of ridiculous pricing. They refused to give me the replacement part numbers. That's totally unacceptable.

I have been hunting around for some time to find a workshop manual and maybe some inside advice. I've avoided downloading the ebay manuals (?) because they look a bit suspect to me.

I've always found Hondas to be really good cars, particularly the engines. Admittedly this one is not exactly young but this is the first time I have encountered problems with one.

Zebster likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hello Mike and welcome to Honda Karma :Hey:

That's a fair little list of jobs but they are all age related faults but none of them are difficult to tackle.

Probably replace them with second hand ones I'd say.

You could use the Lings Honda parts website to see what pipes go where.

If you add your car to the Club Garage, we can a) see her and b) it helps us to help you as it will appear in the signature area of each post you make.

Also you can use the Project Log to detail work you have done and ask for help/opinions.

FAQ #10: How do I add my vehicle to the Club Garage?

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK Mike :welcome:

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I love ill-founded conspiracy theories like that. As if the Honda engineers back in 1995 thought to themselves "If we make these PSF cooler pipes really crap we can extort 3/4/5 generation customers in 20 years time out of £120"

Welcome anyway.

MickyB and Ichiban like this.
  5. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Bet they did!

Welcome @mbf001 to HK :welcome:

Zebster likes this.
  6. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    :welcome:

7. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Back to the main question which is: Does anyone know where I can obtain a workshop manual for my UK spec. 2002 Accord SE Executive 1997cc ?

The first person to reply with a valid answer gets the biscuit crumbs from under my car's back seat :gotcha:

8. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks SpeedyGee
    Tried the Lings webpage. Excellent resource.
    Ta.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ebay I guess and err I think I'll pass on that biscuit offer !

10. demian New Member Getting Started

Call the local plumber and tell him to make you an exact replica out of copper pipe. That part is just metal pipe bent into shape and doesn't take too much skill to replicate.
    Tell them to take a long walk on a short pier!!!

11. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Demian - Re the short pier - my thoughts exactly. Being new in 2002 the car is not young though so I've since obtained a used but very good condition full set of Power Assisted Steering Pipes.
    Cleaned them up, checked all, painted the metal parts to resist corrosion. Engine needs to be jacked up to fit them so a friend with a ramp and suitable jacks is going to fit them.

Next are the rear fuel lines ( pressurised feed, return and breather). I'm not sure about these or how to replace them and with what. What shocks my socks off are the prices for a few metres of OEM tubing plus a couple of joints and clamps. An online check revealed those parts to cost just less than £200. I've placed a query in this forum about using nylon and if there are any suitable kits that include joints, clamps etc.
    Waiting for replies.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's always the case with OEM parts, no matter what the manufacturer.

For the petrol pipes, don't try and fab these up, you may get them wrong, look for second hand replacements instead.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @mbf001 :welcome:

^^That is a high quote for an older car. I don't know if there is a Honda independent up where you are, but worth asking around.

After you've been a member for a while (25 posts and two weeks I think) you can get a discount at Holdcroft Honda - and you'll find the parts guys there very helpful and the service excellent. :Smile:

Announcement - Rank Titles and Premium Members

14. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

FirstHonda - Thanks for the tips.

15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hello and welcome.

16. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Bones126. Enjoy the biking. I gave it up several years ago but miss it greatly...worse than a divorce I reckon ;-)

Bones126 likes this.
  17. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Yep, it was devorce that stopped me riding. I miss that bike

18. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Welcome Mike! Have you found a workshop manual vendor yet?

19. mbf001 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Seb.
    Nope. Tried a link but it didn't work.

20. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:Karma
    Not sure if you have access to the market place yet but there is a 7th gendering broken for spares.
    For Sale - Breaking accord 2.2icdti
    Might be of some help to you.