Off-Topic Mercedes F1 controversial tyre test.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 11th Jun, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Whats you views on it?

I reckon they will get a ban and they will withdraw from next years championship together from F1 sighting injustice handed to them by FIA and pressure from other teams demanding they be punished.
    if they give Pirelli a hefty fine they will exit at the end of 2013 , return of Bridgestone and Honda a bit earlier :Unknown:

2. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lost interest in F1 years ago. Moto GP all the way :Thumbup: .

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't really either but with Honda coming back started to take interest . Motogp is the best of prototype racing out there at the moment until Mclaren Honda are back in 2015 :Happy:

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    In regard to the actual arrangement of the test I think Mercedes will come out of this with out a punishment, and rightly so. Pirelli are allowed to conduct tests during the year and only 3 weeks earlier conducted a test with Ferrari. The test was Pirelli's responsibility, they were the one who sought the permission to do the test from the FIA, and then approached Mercedes. It was for Pirelli to make the test known to the other teams not Mercedes. But I fail to see how the other teams are claiming the test was done in secret. Mercedes were hammering their car round a track which all the other teams were still at, packing their kit away after the race. It's not like the track was deserted.

I think Mercedes only issue is the car they used to do the test, but even this will come down to the request from Pirelli. They won't get a ban, other teams have done far worse in the past and not been banned. There's too much money involved with sponsorship to ban a car from racing. Mercedes might get a fine or at the very most a few point deducted from the constructors championship. But even a points deduction in the circumstances would be an extremely harsh punishment.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I still think this equates to mid season testing no matter what spin you put on it and so called "allowed" tests. The argument is why did you use a 2013 chassis for this test?

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    That is the key point to all this, why did they use a 2013 car. Were they asked to or did they choose to?! Hopefully the hearing will be before the British GP so we'll have an answer in 3 weeks.

It's about time they got rid of this ridiculous ban on testing it's completely ineffective. It was designed as a way to save the teams money, but all they've done is taken the money they've saved and ploughed it into very expensive R&D and computer modelling which will never be as effective as actually running the cars and getting real data.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Personally I don't like the new tyres I know why they have done it and to shake up the field and make it a level playing field but it not flat out racing its racing with tyre strategy.

Its similar to lemans racing with a fuel cap ,prototype racing with conditions is a waste IMHO.

Mercedes will get neck for using 2013 chassis they will be dished out a harsh penalty, it will be a picture to see Hamilton's gloomy face or has he got too much on his mind :Unknown:

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Completely agree with you on the tyre issue. I can see why they've done it as well, but they went too far. F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing but it's turned into 20 cars circulating round the track at the same time, all on different strategies, unable to race each other in an attempt to make their tyres last till the end of the race.

The hearing on the tyre test is due on the 20th June. Should be interesting!

The drivers won't get penalised personally it will be the team that suffers if they get a punishment so I can't see how it will affect Hamilton or Rosberg. Hamilton seems to be quite relaxed this season. He knows this season is a learning and development period for Mercedes so there is no real pressure on him to deliver results, any results they do get is effectively a bonus. Next year though will be different.

Last edited: Wednesday 12th Jun, 2013
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    'High placed F1 sources' what a load of tripe! I don't believe for 1 minute that after ploughing 100's of millions of pounds into a sport that they would just walk away from it over something so trivial. Typical red top paper making a story out of nothing quoting 'sources' without names because they don't exist! Why wouldn't they honour the engine supplies to Mclaren etc even if they did leave, they've been supplying them for years when they weren't racing under their own brand name. Must be a slow news day in the office. The journalist (and I use that term loosely) clearly gets paid by the article.

Mclaren stated categorically when they announced their Honda partnership for 2015 a month ago that Honda wouldn't be allowed to look inside a Mercedes engine.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Ross the Brains Brawn suggests he has an email from Charlie Whiting to say its ok Mercedes to reveal FIA email that gave them 'permission to test' | Sport | The Observer

I reckon poor Ross will be managed out of his role for Paddy to take over..I have a lot of respect of Ross but he will be made the fall guy.

Mercedes you would have been nothing with Ross and still will be. Paddy well jumping ship is always good for one CV:Wink:

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It seems a bit unbelievable that someone like Ross Brawn, on the face of it, seems to have made such a school boy mistake as not getting permission for the test?? There's certainly a lot more to this story which will come out after the verdict when people can speak openly. They all seem to be arguing over the wording of the rules not the acts which took place.

I do like the implication that Ferrari'Type-S test was also illegal, which I can see Ross' point of view on.

I think Ross will move out of his position at the end of 2014. Paddy is moving to Mercedes for a step up but that will put him in line with Ross, 2 people 1 job...

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't think Ross is that naive to make such a bold step with consultation without the rest team knowing ,he has come away from such hearings in the past without a scratch. He is a master of rule interpretation.

It seems there was an effort to get rid of Ross and he fallen into a trap ?