General Michelin Cross-Climate - fitted today

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by pauljdh, Friday 18th Dec, 2015.

1. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    I've just had a pair of Michelin 's new cross-climate tyres fitted at Costco, £125 each. Ordered for the front but per Costcos policy the new tyres went on the back moving the rears (Primacy 3's) up front.

225/50/17 extra load

They measure (Grip/Noise/Fuel efficiency etc) as good as A Primacy 3 but are a summer tyre with real ICE/snow capability.

Early days but they feel lovely and sound nice and quiet.

Link MICHELIN CrossClimate - Arm yourself for every weather condition.

Anyone know why Costco insist on fitting all new tyres to the rear of the car?
    (ps. just as I ordered they increased up to £137 each but Costco honoured the lower price, Primacys were £106 all in)
  2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    so they put your summer tyres on the front and your winters on the back??
    if so I would swap your wheels around d as you want your winters on the drive wheels.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've always been told that you should have a full set of Winter tyres, and not mix them at all, even though lots of people say you only really need them on the 'driven' axle.

Mind you, I'm not sure these are full Winter tyres, I think these are 'multi-season.'
  4. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats the thing..... they aren't winter tyres, but all season ones that are excellent regardless...thats the theory anyway
    - - - Updated - - -
    Agreed, Michelin have a brochure to assure that nothing is compromised, in fact the winter performance is enhanced
  5. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Why put new tyres on the rear of a front wheel drive car?? Because the makers recommend it, Just been googling and all the experts say it should be so
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Always put them in the rear, or change all of them at the same time.
    Racy Jace and Zoot like this.
  7. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    very interesting. .. didn't know that.

I have a full set for summer and a full set for winter.
  8. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Excellent info CJ. I'm another one who didn't know! Will certainly know for the future.
  9. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Interesting I knew previously that this was the case in front wheel drive, but that it extends to rear and AWD as well is new info to me. Thanks for posting it.

I usually did summer and winter tyres as well but have ordered a set of Nokian Weatherproof tyres for the Fit and am interested to see how they get on throughout the year. Given the climate here there really isn't a need for full winter tyres, but giving a bit of extra grip on frosty mornings really makes a difference on some of the roads traveled on the daily commute. In saying that all you could test this winter so far is wet handling.
  10. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Paul, how are you getting on with the Michelin Cross-Climate tyres?

These were just announced when i bought my last set of tyres, press (or marketing) was going mad over them, but I couldn't wait until they were available in my size. Went for Goodyear Vector 4Seasons (225/50 R17 98V XL) all-season tyres in the end.

They Vectors are well respected but are like all traditional all-season tyres in that they began as a winter tyre adapted for summer use, while the Cross-Climate's are summer tyres adapted for winter use. Unfortunately the Vectors have made my car feel like a bus with sponge tyres, the soft and delayed jelly feel of the steering response has destroyed the driving joy of the Accord.

I went for all-season tyres after reading many articles on discussing summer vs winter and maintaining that - for all year round use a winter (or all-season) tyre is less of a compromise than using summer tyres in winter (as summer tyres are useless in winter, UK roads in winter will testify to that). But the winter based all-season tyres appear to have soft sidewalls and certainly have a softer rubber to stay pliable at low temperatures.

I know its hard to compare with the 2 all-seasons on one axle and 2 summers on the other - but do the Cross-Climate's maintain the steering and handling response compared to your previous tyres?

Thanks. Regards, Mark.
  11. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Absolutely great so far....lots of surface water around but very surefooted, my worn tyres were beginning to wander, they had 3mm plus on them, but I never go near the legal limit. They're very quiet too. Haven't monitored fuel consumption etc yet but will do. Running them at 33psi and very comfy but assured.
  12. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info Paul.

I'm not sure whether to just go for Summer tyres next time (or spend on spare rims for summer/winter sets), or possibly try the Cross-Climate's.
    I even considered moving to 18" wheels to reduce the chances of a future tyre set being soft and wobbly (smaller harder sidewall), but I would only spend that money if I could change to Delta 18's (gorgeous) and they don't come cheap and nobody was selling 2nd hand.

I tried various pressures up to 40psi (sidewall stated max is 50psi) and it made surprisingly little difference to the jelly steering/handling. I think 33-35psi is about normal for most folks on the standard 17's.

Regards, Mark.
  13. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    If I was looking to buy tyres soon I would seriously consider Cross Climates. Loads of tread left on my Eagle F1's so not an option just now.

They are still very new though so it'll be interesting to find out how people rate them over the coming months and years.
  14. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good user reviews so far and impressive cold weather results from professional testing roundups:-
    Michelin CrossClimate | the Michelin CrossClimate reviewed and rated - TyreReviews

"the new CrossClimate tyre doesn't like to be called an "all season" tyre, but a summer tyre with winter capabilities. This has left us wondering whether it's the perfect tyre for the UK climate, as traditional all season tyres overly focus on snow and ICE performance, instead of the wet grip we need for the UK winters."

Cheers, Mark.
    dbrooks65 likes this.