Reviews Michelin CrossClimate Tyres (All-Season)

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by DeviateDefiant, Monday 16th Nov, 2015.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    So I'm currently running Michelin CrossClimates on my '07, they're 225/45 94W XL on stock 17" x 7j rims.

Many here know I love my Michelin tyres, you can always trust in them, at their best they are stellar performers which excel in all attributes, but as a brand trait they often wear quite fast and when low don't grip as well as they get low. CrossClimate are what Michelin call the first summer tyre that's approved for winter use, wearing the 3 snow flake symbol showing their regulatory approval. Receiving pretty rave reviews throughout, I had to give them a shot as the rubber to mate on my winter wheels.

My two points of comparison with these tyres are Michelin Primary 3s, an all-round summer tyre not aimed at performance or economy particularly (those roles falling to Pilot Sport 3s and Energy Savers) as well as Michelin Pilot Super Sports, their flagship balls-out summer tyre for fast road and track use, one of the best in the world. Of course, I've driven a shitload of tyres, but these are the easiest for me to compare to.

Handling

In essence these tyres perform quite like Primary 3s in terms of overall handling ability, similar above average cornering, traction actually quite a bit better considering the power I'm putting down with far less wheel spin, but also some points where they struggle.

The traction limit through tight corners is also surprisingly good for an all-season tyre, I can pull 90 degree bends at 45ish without feeling like the backend is going to slip. A subjective statement and very much based on a car's suspension set-up, but for mine that's pretty impressive. Like most Michelins I've driven you feel yourself coming up to the limit of traction and it doesn't just flail out like many cheaper tyres I've driven, you can trust in them and find your limits quite safely. Thumbs up.

I mentioned wheel spin, these are really grippy tyres in general. If I go WOT on an fairly bumpy surface I will get some minor slip and VSA light flicker on, but for an all-season tyre it's utterly fantastic. My Pilot Super Sports here wouldn't slip, they're insanely good, but for what the CrossClimates are I cannot fault them in the slightest. The biggest shock to me was that they slip far less than my old Primary 3s, a dedicated summer tyre.

Braking

Dry braking isn't great, and wet breaking is pretty poor. This isn't a case of, don't buy them, you can't brake - but more these tyres are marginally worse than your average summer tyre. This is a trait probably inherited from the winter tyre tread pattern used despite the summer tyre compound. I find myself braking a lot earlier than I did previously and for the first time feeling I nearly "ran out of brake" a few times over.

Once you've learn them, they're fine - but don't expect summer tyre like braking.

Wet Performance

Superb in the wet in general. You feel safe within your limits and even though I like to push my car, I've never experienced anything close to a skid. But there's one thing these tyres really suck at, and that's their anti-aquaplanning properties. I've never come across a tyre which gets so affected by puddles and pools of water, you get grabbed pretty hard and the car wants to pull to the side, far worse than any other tyre I've driven. I'm talking here about standing water a couple of inches deep, surface water in the rain there's no issues at all and handling is great.

Snow/Ice Performance

I've had very limited experience with this so far, almost feels like I'm prematurely writing a review because of that - though I know many people here are most interested in how a winter approved tyre performs in standard conditions. Anyway literally only two mornings I can think of where it's been below the freezing point. I can recollect I was surprised at how little the slightly icy roads felt like they affect the car, but I'll have to update this review with further comments once we're further into winter.

Summary

Comments are based on this being a winter approved all-season tyre, if it were a summer tyre it won't be quite as much to rave about but overall I'm quite impressed.

+ Impressive Dry Handling
    + Great Traction
    + Quiet
    - Braking Performance Isn't Great
    - Terrible Anti-Aquaplanning Properties

Overall I'd give them 8/10 and would buy them again happily for winter wheels. I'll update this thread further into winter.

ACC-CDI-2T, SpeedyGee and dbrooks65 like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I found that Anti-Aquaplanning was poor on the Michelin Primacy 3s as well. Which was part of the reason I moved away from them, the other reason being they wear too quick.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I can't remember it being particularly bad on them tbh, but they definitely did wear super-quick.

Did notice that while I paid like £120 a corner when I first bought them, you can now buy them for under £75.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There a few spots on the outside lane of the A46 dual carriageway from M40 J15 towards Coventry where large pools of water can gather in heavy rain, the Premacy's didn't at all handle those well even when they were new.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I wouldn't run Primacy 3s again regardless, can you remember mine at the end of their life with the amount of slippage they had? Pilot Super Sports are in another league entirely.

6. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I need to replace two Michelin Energy tyres on my Accord. I looked at the Cross Climates but there are mixed views on only fitting two tyres. Honest John says you shouldn't do this but Michelin says it should be fine. I'm concerned by the braking comments above and might choose
    Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance tyres which are rated better than Michelin Energy tyres for economy and noise.

7. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I'm running the Cross climates in 205/55-16 I find them very good, no problem with aquaplaning at all. Maybe the narrower section tyre works better?
    I had Nokian Weatherproof before these and I rate them highly as an all weather tyre, maybe a little quieter as well.
    Personally I prefer All-Weather tyres as they do away with messing between Winter and Summer tyres.

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Thanks for the review :Niceone: The aquaplaning would be a big issue for me given the amount of standing water on some of my frequently traveled roads. I'd +1 @Bounder for the Nokian Weather proof as I have them on the Fit and find them quite good all around as an all season. In saying that I'm not overly aggressive as a driver and I seriously doubt I ask anywhere near what you do out of your Accord.

9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Many thanks for your feedback. I´m just running 205/55 R15 94V Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons XL FP and I am quite satisfied
    with them. Nevertheless Ì wanted to try CrossClimetes next time. But now I think better of it - it´s raining cats and dogs
    over here ... :depressed: :depressed: :depressed:

10. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good review that I read with interest. I am thinking of crossclimates for my next set as they seem to tick all the boxes.
    Running Dunlop sport Maxx RT at the moment.

11. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Update, the fronts are now 60% worn with 14k miles on them since fitting, I have to say I am slightly disappointed with the wear characteristics of these tyres.
    Second point I would add is with some heavy rain and standing water the aquaplaning that others complained of but I had never experienced has come to light.
    Hitting puddles at 60mph would result in the VSA light flashing and noticeable lack of adhesion.
    Having had these back to back with Nokian Weatherproof I am going to go back to Nokians when this set is worn.

Pottermus likes this.