Off-Topic Michelin Primacy 3s - Any Opinions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DeviateDefiant, Wednesday 17th Apr, 2013.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've been weighing up my options for the inevitable replacement of my tyres.

Statistically the Primacy 3s seem excellent bang for buck with some of the most consistent reviews. Also being a reinforced tyre I'm hoping it will help on my quest to alleviate my extreme tramlining as I'm going to get the rear camber arms replaced and everything tracked at the same time.

Any members currently using them?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think I have these on my car. I say "think" because I haven't seen the damn thing for nearly 7 weeks now LOL.

They're are a good allround tyre.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have primacy 3s all round on mine.
    Always found them to be good tyre in wet and dry.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thanks for the feedback, think I'm definitely settled on them.

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm going to try Hankook K115 as they have a B-B-71 rating and at £118 fitted seem a good option.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

If I remember rightly the Primacy 3's are a C-A-69, I'd personally rather the extra stopping power and grip vs. fuel economy. Best price I have at the moment is £113 fitted.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's one thing that I noticed immediately was how much grip I got switching over from Dunlop Sports. The worn Dunlops would often lead to the ABS kicking in even under not so heavy braking. Hard as I might try I struggled to get the ABS to kick in with MP3's, that's how it should be !

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That sounds very reassuring, I just had a scary incident on the A14 where I was shooting along at a brisk pace and a truck pulled out in front of me doing about 55mph. Suffice to say worn tires did not help matters whatsoever. Think I'll be getting this sorted the second funds allow.

For the record, trucks snail racing should damn well be illegal, especially on duel-carriageways.

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Great stuff, thank you! They're pretty competitive at £115 so it's a no brainer.

11. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The 17" tyres on the 7th Generation seem reasonably priced, they 8th Generation ones are crazy money, for 225/50/17, Michelins start around £140. In fact anything fairly decent is £100. Must be a strange size.

I'm using Accellera Phi, Indonesian, apparently they make Continental under licence there, so can't be too bad...I hope....which are £67 each, not finding them too bad, as I'm not a racing driver. The EU label ratings are ok also. I'd rather have a new tyre than have to buy part worns etc. If I had the money I would get a decent brand.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Sounds like I dodged a bullet with the tyre size, I've found budget tyres for around £70 but all the decent brands are £100-130ea. I've had a lot of issues with tracking etc. which I still have to resolve so I just want to do the job right and go for some decent reinforced tyres which I should get at least a good 10,000mi out of.

I've got to get my rear camber arms sorted then everything tracked, I'd probably go for the mobile "event tyres" service to do it the same day before the arms are fitted.