General Mid-life crisis

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Phil P, Thursday 3rd Apr, 2014.

1. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    So called Mid-life crisis arrived the other day. A bit late I must admit as I am 61 years old. I have a perfectly good CR-V, my wife has a perfectly good (albeit automatic) Civic, but the problem is what to do if my perfectly good (but old) Honda Accord Gen 6 (1999), 123K mileage car finally, expensively, fails the MOT?

Mazda MX5. Must have. Let's go to a Mazda dealer and sit in one. Five star reviews in every motoring magazine. Must be good....

Sat in it, hood up. Gloomy and depressing. Windscreen tiny, wipers like pencils. Let's take the hood down. Ah, that's better. But suddenly I'm looking up at the salesman who seems ever so tall this far down. It's all very well whizzing this car around windy country lanes but I have to use the motorway to get to them and the thought of being sandwiched between a skip lorry and a National Express coach whilst in the middle lane in a summer thunderstorm or a winter anything brought me back to my senses. Nah, don't want that. Feel safer in a bigger car

I should have gone to Honda, which I did. I wandered around the used car lot and there are no cars that cater for Mid-life crisis victims like me. They are all for either sensible people (like me), or old people (also like me). Except......ooh, what is that? A Honda Civic Type-R 2008. Must sit in it!

Different coloured seats and things look a bit boy racer to me. 19" wheels. Why? The ride is hard enough on the 17's on our Civic but these wheels don't look like there is much tyre on them at all. I like the colour though - Milano Red.......

There were a couple of Accords, 7th and latest Generation, which looked rather nice, especially the Tourer. I sat in and felt the luxury, but unfortunately the small window glass area makes the cabin gloomy compared to my Accord, and what has happened to opening Sun Roofs?

I also tried the new Civic Tourer. Looks beautiful but again the window area does not let enough light in or give much of a view out. It felt claustrophobic to be honest.

My old Accord has lots of light, and opening Sun Roof, decent performance and is a joy to drive, either Motorway or winding B Roads. And it's Red. I gave it a clean and polish yesterday and I'm keeping it. Honda do not appear to have anything at the moment to make me change my mind

Phil

AccordCU2, Racy Jace and AndyB1976 like this.
  2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get an S2000 or an old NSX. You know you want too. :Whistle:

bijomaru likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'd say an S2000 is an awesome call, mid-engined RWD convertibles that are as refined a driving experience as you can ever. They're not full of technology, they don't have much room or storage space - but from a driver's perspective they are simply breath-taking. I'd buy one in a heart-beat as a weekend car if I had the money going spare.

I've only owned Type-S 7th Gens, but I'd have been sure the Exec has an opening sun roof :Unknown:

Civic Type-R isn't for me either, no class about it and too much red. I would suggest looking at the Legend KB1 if luxury is your thing.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

6th & 7th Generation EX(ec) both have an electric tilt & slide glass sunroof.
    Well at least the ones I had did.

Last edited: Thursday 3rd Apr, 2014
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phil, you are not alone.
    Were I to upgrade my motorcycle, I would be choosing from an array of overly complicated computerised BMW's that resemble constipated insects. Since I choose not to explore this green and pleasant land on something incomprehensible, with my bum in the air, I stick to my 35 year old model. It is so well designed and built that it can be mended ad infinitum, and upgraded (electronic ignition, dual plugs etc) while remaining totally trustworthy in everyday use.
    If my "new" 7th Generation Accord is any good (which I'm beginning to think it is) it will share this attribute.
    Unfortunately, unlike the bike, it will not be worth a little bit MORE every year.
    So I admire your decision to keep what you've got, not least because millions of advertising pounds spent on making us unsatisfied with our present situation has not been successful in your case - or mine.

Sunbeem

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I can sympathise with this. Since I got rid of my last classic (1974 Mini Clubman automatic) I've regretted it, and wished I had something else in the garage...except then sense kicks in and I remember that the reason I sold it was that I never used it! :Blushing:

At the moment, my mid-life crisis is telling me that I never used it because it wasn't really practical for modern roads (it was only 37hp and even the brochure only quoted a 0-50 rather than 0-60!)...so I'm going round the madness loop again.

My requirements are quite specific in that I need an automatic, and that narrows the field. A lot. I'd also need something not too big to get into the garage (I'd say current Civic size maximum). I also don't want to spend much, say £3k maximum.

So, although I'd love a Hillman Imp or a Skoda Estelle (I know, I know) neither came automatic, so they are both out. Don't really want another old BL car (been there, done that, have the oil stained t-shirts), so that is Maxi/Marina/Princess/Allegro out. And I'd like something interesting...:Devil:

My thought process is taking me towards Japanese classics - lots of autos around. A 1990's Honda Prelude or Accord Coupe would fit the bill nicely, or a Nissan 200SX or even a Toyota Celica. On the size front the Accord might be a bit big.

I'm sure this phase will pass again, (bear in mind I already have my 2004 MINI Cooper that I don't use much!), but days like this (Classic car day) and the ease of looking at eBay and AutoTrader don't help much... :SOS:

Any thoughts on other likely candidates that I might have missed? Thinking about it, I quite fancy a 1980's Vauxhall Cavalier for some reason...or a BMW Z3...or any number of others. AARRRGGH!

Phil P and dbrooks65 like this.
  7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Sorry but this has great glass area. :Nuts:
    mclass-popemobile.

Phil P likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    This is the right line of thinking :Whistle:

9. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Yep, can't go wrong with Jap classics in my opinion. Some models are surprisingly powerful - a red top Prelude vti is 200bhp I think.

Don't do this to me Ed - I've managed to stay away from the classifieds for a few days......I was doing so well...........better put the kettle on.

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    There's a Triumph Dolomite Sprint in a garage near me that is possibly for sale, but to be honest our Civic is better in all respects.

I can also vouch for the Civic Coupe 1.8 (made in the USA if I recall. We had one (1996 model I think) and enjoyed it immensely; and it was automatic. Well worth looking out for in my opinion.

I think Honda could easily make a Roadster similar to the Mazda MX5 and sell it to us old mid-life crisis tearaways in some volume. As much as I'd love an S2000 or NSX they are both too powerful for my slowly decreasing reactions - and the local villains around here would have them both away before I had time to pay the first instalment.

Phil

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

When I was younger, when tHovis was tHovis, I would have loved a Dolomite Sprint...
    Still understand how to take one of them apart and put it together again.
    Nowadays, I've got to learn about it before I tackle some jobs on my Accord.

Hey ho...

12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Think I need to take a deeeeeeep breath and think about this!

Have always liked (don't shoot me) the Hyundai Coupe, and even 2005/6 cars are only £2k ish. Not many Celicas about, few more Nissan 200SX which are nice. Accord Coupes too, although they seem to be higher mileage generally.

^^Lots of scope for internet trawling on Sunday when it is forecast to rain...but MUST keep sensible head on :HobbyHorse: I've been here before...:ShelfShoot:

13. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi phil
    I was thinking about an mx5 a few months ago after I had sold all my bikes. Decided against it. Peppy little motor good handling and all thatbut a little claustraphobic under the roof...fine when open though.
    Mystifies me as to the dolly sprint though!!!!!
    Rick

14. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Rick

No mystery. It's a car I lusted after in my 20's. It was different, had a very good performance compared to other cars of the time, had walnut dashboard and door cappings, alloys, overdrive etc etc. I also owned a Triumph 2500S for some years, which, to me at least, felt like a distant relative of my current 6th Generation Accord. Anyway, the Accord outperforms both Triumphs in every way but the thing is my mid-life crisis (thankfully receding) demands that I own a car I would have liked but could not afford when I was in my early twenties - and this would not have been a Truimph 2500 or a Honda Accord. It would have been an E-Type, or an MGB GT, or a Triumph Sprint/TR6, or a TVR or a Lotus Elan. Notice how all of these are British made? What I think I am (was) looking for is a Japanese equivalent of those lovely British sports cars of yesteryear - and thus my thoughts on the MX5, Civic R etc. The Toyota MR2 is another I've considered but to be honest I should act my age. I'll have an old Range Rover V8 please! (although of course my CR-V is much better:Grin:

Phil

Nels likes this.
  15. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    Nice reply phil. Actually if my memory serves me right the dollys were quick for their time and the aluminium heads were somewhat problematic. I presume you liked the 2.5pi triumph then??? AAgain nice car but problematic petrol injection. Not trying to put them down they were quite forward thinking for their time. But would you want these problems now when we are so used to highly reliable brands like honda and the like....
    Regards
    Rick

Phil P likes this.
  16. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Hi Rick

Yes, if I remember correctly the dolly aluminium engine had a habit of not wanting to separate its two parts above and below its head gasket when you needed to get at the pistons. Overheating caused it to stick badly; I remember the engines having to be suspended in some way from garage ceilings and wait for gravity to do its work (or was that just the mechanics winding me up? The pi's were nice too but the earlier ones had injection problems, which I think were Lucas, but were solved when replaced with Bosch? I think.

I think the main problem with cars from this era was, from my experience, primarily rust, and especially BMC/Leyland. And especially Triumph

No I wouldn't want these problems now. I'll stick with Honda and the like. I am cured. Thank you:Happy:

Phil

17. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi phil
    I am glad you are now cured!!!!!
    Rick

18. salopian adas Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I grew up on dolly sprints, wow, what a car, also having a mid life crisis at 50 myself and was only telling a mate today how I hanker after another dolly, just to get my spanners oily again. that's the trouble with Accords, you never get to spanner again!!

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Today I'm mostly being tempted by a SAAB 9-3 convertible and a BMW Z3...:Whistle:

...but have been "told" that I don't need another car :Search:. Which is for the best probably as these phases usually pass!

Am I right in thinking that the Dolomite Sprint was the first (or one of the first) cars with a 16 valve engine?

20. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    MOT due in a couple of weeks on my 6th Generation Accord. Looking at the paperwork from last years test (and first ever full service from Honda) I have driven it a magnificent total of 1,800 miles. The CR-V has been doing the Motorway mileage wonderfully, the Accord, being petrol, is just the local run around. OK Accord, I'm sorry, let's go out and give you a real stretch and show you why I want an MX-5, or a Dolly, or an MR2, or a Lotus, or a blah blah.

I think I already have one! Rarely has it been into the V-TEC zone; rarely, if ever, over 80mph, and old fart as I am, rarely flung around country B roads at a gallop.

:eek:LOVE IT

And on the Motorway home the rain chucked it down - and was very pleased not to be in a little claustrophobic roadster. It felt just as grippy and assured as my wife's Civic, and that has proper tyres on - not the budget squidgy £40 a piece rubber that I have been on for the past five years

This teenage driving style won't last of course but the feeling of actually driving a car, as opposed to being mostly cosseted and driven by the CR-V, has convinced me that my beloved Accord is up there with the rest of mid-life crisis motoring desires.

I shall probably get it some Michelin's

Phil

exec, DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.