General Midlife weekend car

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Saturday 30th Apr, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Been looking after a couple of cars for family whilst they travel the globe for a few months to ensure they don't run flat, and its not good for any car to sit for months without use. Today, being a nice enough day, I decided to go and dump the Volvo back and grab the other car for a bit of pre-midlife crisis weekend car. Lovely little thing, only got 21k on the clock with an electric hardtop which is really quite hard to find.

I don't drive cars which arent mine hard, especially when I have been entrusted to take care of them. She is a little 1.8 and fully specced out. She is great on country roads, but she could do with a bit of a VTEC or VVTI equivalent.

20160430_095339.
    20160430_095420_001.

boki_cu2, MickyB, exec and 1 other person like this.
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    MX-5 / Miata is probably near the top of my 'want to own one day' list. I have only heard good things about them and how approachable the limits are and how easy it is to not over do it.

exec likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

Was it one of your mates that has a GT86?

Handling is very much like that with loads of feedback from the tyres. Car really talks to you on the corners and you know exactly what its doing.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

nah. no one i know has anything remotely close to a GT86. but yeah I hope to own a NA/NB Miata one day.

5. Nighthawk Guest

Ok, I thought it was you that had a mate with a GT86 - Il put it down to getting old and losing more hair. It handles like a little go kart, very precise, predicatable and forgiving. It has enough power to kick it into oversteer if you are comfortable handling that although the only time I did it was when I was teaching the owner how to drive fast. :Laughing:

Today, I drove it like a granny, roof down, wind blowing through what used to be my ever reducing hair

legend-ary likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not sure what they are like to drive but just look at how horrible that engine bay looks.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

Its clean though, but yeah, the engineers could have made it a bit neater under there

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Probably cause of a tiny longitudinal engine. Looks messy but then again these damn playing covers are work of the devil. Nothing beats a beautifully designed rocker cover.

Might be because in their effort to centralise weight they put stuff into weird location like that battery is right in front.. Never seen that before

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Fantastic car nighthawk, add me to the MX5 appreciation list! I want to own a 1st Generation MX5 one day, love the simplicity of the whole car, a true legend in the motoring world. Hope you enjoy it, could always FI it for a bit more power.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also probably a much more sensible choice too, as the car is usable, an Impreza is a car you can easily lose your licence with. :Grin:

legend-ary likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

I havent bought it mate, it belongs to a member of my family. The scooby is still very much on the cards, but tomorrow is supposed to be quite a nice day so I will enjoy the roof being down before I return and pick the Volvo back up again

exec likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

Although, now that I have been looking back at those Supras......... :Wub::Wub::Wub:, the scooby might have a challenge on its hands

exec likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've always liked the look of the MX5 too, and there are automatics available, which is good for me.

One thing though - a friend used to have one (same shape as in your first picture) - and it picked up parking dents everywhere, a combination of the slightly rounded panels and the fact that they seemed VERY thin.

And she lived in London...:shock:

Nice, but I'd prefer a MINI Roadster.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hell yeah Supra ! PLEASE PLEASE let it be a Supra :Wub:

Nighthawk likes this.
  14. Nighthawk Guest

:Rolf:

Careful speedy mate, you are likely to self destruct if you look at anything non honda. :Laughing:

Have i made a convert ojt of you? :Rolf:

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No the Supra always been my guilty secret car. A neighbour use to have one when I was a young teenager that I use to drool over.

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    The mx5's are great fun, I had a 1st Generation before my accord and now the gf has a 3rd Generation hers is the 2.0sport though and is quicker than the accord :Frown:

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    My bad, the thing with the Mx5 is you will have fun in it at the limit, as the car is all about driver involvement etc. High-powered cars like Scooby etc just seem like unusable on the road, you can have fun in an Mx5 on your drive to the local supermarket, but with a scooby, supra, etc I'm not so sure.

Thats one thing that Honda used to do different too, the emphasis was on driver enjoyment and involvement and not outright power or speed.

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Nighthawk likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

To be honest..after experiencing HUK customer service and sloppy shoulders attitude, Honda are one of the last companies I am going to hand over 30k to. Once they can be bothered to respect their customers then I will be bothered to give them business.

Interesting read however and it looks great in white

AccordCU2 and exec like this.
  20. motorbikelover Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom david mee mansfield notts
    MX5 I have a 98 2nd Generation my daughter has an 02 2.5 VTEC sport 6 speed (i hate her for that) must be the best sports car ever made for the price. I was lent a S2000 it was great but it urged you to drive flat out and i would have lost my licence in no time.
    GT86. I had use of one for a day off my son. It was very nice and very quick but tail happy. If you like coupe.s it is a good choice but have you seen the new supra. Son has Gone back to the Type-R and all so has a mr2 turbo rev3 that is mental.