Fuel Efficiency Might as well have bought a petrol.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by jaytip, Friday 25th Jan, 2013.

1. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Photo says it all really. :Frown:
    This is just town driving, but it should still be a LOT better than this. Only fuel used in it since I bought it is Shell.

image.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I get the same mileage in my 7th Generation 2.4 Tourer in town.. you need to stretch the legs of the car on long distances to get the true mileage of the car. Town mileage will be poor and there may an issue how much throttle you are using.

Next time you fill up treat the throttle as it there was an egg behind and you have to be careful not to break it . try that for a week on a full tank of fuel ..

Then compare.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's from an I-DTEC Accord ?

That surely must have some issue.

4. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are u having DPF issues with doing all short journeys?

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Might be worth getting it booked in for a free Honda health check, also check out the air filter, tyre pressures and is it running on the right oil? Does seem a bit too low.

I get 28mpg out of my 2.0 petrol auto around town.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I can almost get 28mpg town driving in my 2.4 litre petrol Accord.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't drive slow and not bother about the fuel efficiency ..it messes with your head. I just want a super reliable car :Hooray:

SayamaAccord likes this.
  8. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    IMAG0065.

This is all town driving CR V 2.2 diesel , normally with combined town and long runs, it is nearer 40 MPG

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If this is just town driving then what do you expect?

Petrol would have been about the same or worse depending on engine size. Modern diesels simply do not make sense for urban stop-start driving.

If the car is seldom or never being used on long runs, you'll never see, let alone appreciate the higher MPG that the I-DTEC can achieve. I know, I've achieved it countless times - putting hybrids to shame as well with the near 1,000 mile journeys I have done before refuelling.

I don't get your constant "gripes" with the car - change it if its not to your liking but don't complain about poor MPG if all the car is ever gonna get is a stop-stop lifestyle. Not meaning to be rude when I say that, but it is clear from this and your prior threads that you're having a hard time liking what the car is all about when you're clearly under/mis-utilising it.

10. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Woah Dark Night, hold your horses and back up a bit. I have said in previous posts that I love the car and the only thing I don't like is the fuel economy. This is not my first diesel accord. I have also owned a 7th Generation that regularly returned me 38mpg town driving.
    I drive a taxi for a living and the vast majority of my work is stop start town driving. My previous taxis and MPG are as follows.
    Skoda Superb 1.9tdi=40mpg
    Citroen C3 Picasso=44mpg
    Audi A6=33-35mpg
    Skoda Octavia=45-49mpg
    So I am not new to diesels, and not driving them incorrect. Maybe there is an underlying issue with the car, I will get it checked out, but please don't accuse me off driving the car wrong when I have had MUCH better economy out of all my other diesel cars.

Hoq1 likes this.
  11. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

And for the record, the official Honda figures for the type-S around town is 38mpg

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Need to get it looked at, it may need a proper service full service, check for binding brakes etc.

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You misinterpreted my post my friend - not accusing you of anything. Just saying that pottering about on stop start journeys is going to result in a lower MPG as defined by your image so there's nothing surprising about that.

As said, if the car is not used in that style or instead is used on longer runs, MPG will go up considerably. I'm not casting any aspersions on your experience with diesels, I don't know your motoring history and never remarked on it either, so likewise please don't accuse me of things I havent said - the door swings both ways. :Thumbup:

As for the car, sure, get it checked - only you know if its running sweet or not and whether it needs diagnosis - we can only surmise things from what you post.

14. Oilburner26 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Surrey

15. bigroncoleman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As your car is the type-s, assuming it has 18" wheels as opposed to 17" on ES GT etc.

Does the 1" bigger wheel affect MPG much?

BigRon

16. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

BigRon, I have no idea. However Honda claim 38 mph for the type-s around town.

17. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Jay your a taxi driver like me I still have not but the 8th Generation on as a taxi yet but get the feeling not going to be as good on fuel as my 7th Generation. Next time you fill up can u fill to the rim then zero your mileage then next day/week fill to the rim again.
    Then with the cost of your fuel do this simple maths divide your fuel cost by your mileage ie today I did 127miles cost £17.54 so in your calculator enter 17.54 divide by 127 this = 13.8. Which equates to 13.8p a mile this is how I keep a check on fuel cost like you stuck in heavy traffic most days but had run out today normally costs me 14/15p a mile.

18. saleem Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I drive a ES GT as a taxi it averages about 39 around town

19. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    many things affect your MPG. check your tyres and there preasures are correct, as cj has suggested check your brakes. are they free? is it breathing as efficiantly as possible? check the air filter. when was the fuel filter cartridge last replaced? its in-expensive to replace so get it changed. if you are checking your MPG religiously don't forget that your last few journeys average is stored and can effect your current and bring it down by about 10 MPG or so. zero your average each time your set off to get an accurate real time reading for that journey, you may find it higher than previously.

20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very respectable for urban stop start driving. :Thumbup: