Engine & Gearbox MIL on cold start

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by scottray, Friday 25th Oct, 2013.

1. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    My car idles rough, runs lean, on cold starts up until it reaches operating temp. Then it will be smooth as butter with a quick "on-off" of the key without letting the car die. And even still do it at random after that, it seems to be getting progressively worse . I've changed the coolant temp sensor, distrubuter, plugs,wires,map sensor. Anyone any idea what might be goin on here?

-scott

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Your car details say its turboed is that right ?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Possibly a vacuum leak on one the hoses. Or perhaps in a gasket that closes up when warm.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Fast Idle Thermal Valve perhaps?

5. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    Yes the car is turboed. But that is not having an effect on how it runs when its cold.

6. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    my fuel consumption is ridiculous when it does this. and I'm pretty sure its nit the fast idle control, if it was then the idle would fluctuate up and down which does not happen, it idles at normal engine speed (800-1000r/min) just really rough and lean, its smokes a lot (black fuel smoke) and shakes the car at idle, while driving this way it will not rev past 4r/min. this is really annoying and becoming expensive to fuel it

7. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    not running lean, its running rich. sorry about that. and could a dirty throttle body cause this?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Perhaps look at your fuel rails?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Disconnect your O2 sensor see if it runs any better, if it does, you've got a faulty O2 sensor.

10. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the turbo(bad seals maybe) it ran good for about 20mins then back to the same issue. lastnight I removed the ECU and disconnected the battery.(clearing all codes/system reset) this morning I reconnected everything and it started right up just like normal and has been fine so far today...I think it may be fixed yyaaayyyyy but we will see