Service & Maintenance Milky Stream Seen on Air Con Sight Glass - Does this mean low refrigerant?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Accord_N22, Monday 29th Aug, 2016.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi All,

Noticed my air con output is not as strong anymore although still cold it takes a while to get cold on a hot day.
    I read somewhere that the air con sight glass should be checked, which should give you an indication of what the system is doing.

I ran the car and turned on the aircon full blast for 10 mins. See video of what is seen on the sight glass.

Video

A milky stream, does this suspect that the refrigerant may need charging?
    Of course there could be other issues like a leak etc.

I assume a Honda dealer would be the best place to go to recharge the system?

Cheers All

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I had my aircon redone 2 years ago at Aylesbury Honda. It cost £65 and a health check (of course there was nothing wrong). Its still cold across the range. Ask them to put a stink bomb in it too to clean it all out (no charge when I asked). They also did a full service check on it for that price too. Well worth it. Its possible to overfill, so for the sake of a bit extra, I took it to Honda for it to get done properly.

3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Doing work on Airco at the moment, so giving this a bump, anyone know what to look for in the sight glass?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The slight glass should not have too many bubbles when in operation foaming and misting would indicate low on refrigerant.