Dealers/Garages Minimum Thread depth for Honda Approved?

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by pauljdh, Sunday 24th May, 2015.

1. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    Hi does anyone know what Hondas' minimum tread standard is on approved used cars is?
    I bought one (Accord idect tourer) 8 days ago and this weekend was going round checking pressures etc and noticed the OSF tyre is at exactly 3mm.....think Honda service dept would recommend changing at 3.5-4mm, all others OK.
    My concern is that so far they have failed to give an MOT (its in the post) and I wouldn't be surprised if theres an advisory on it but we'll see, I won't be happy if there is and subsequently the 150+ point check for aa approved car let that one through.
    My experience is that theres so much to transact on collection day that things like this can be missed and to be honest buying from a main dealer you expect basics to be in order
    I know the legal limit at 1,6mm applies etc but Id never go as low as that personally. I also appreciate that 3mm may be the limit and as such technically its not required to be changed but Ill be looking at virtually buying a tyre for a Honda approved car within weeks of taking ownership which is not what I expected.
    I've probably done 100-125 miles in the week I've owned it
    Car purchased from Holdcroft Honda in Stoke.
    Thanks

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Unless tyres are right on the limit, I can't see a dealer choosing to invest in new tyres when selling a second-hand car. There's nothing wrong with having 3mm left, there's still a couple of thousand miles to go. I honestly don't see why they should be obliged to change them prematurely.

It might have been nice for them to point it out to you, but tyre treads (and brand) are something most people will pay attention to when checking over a potential new car anyway. I've got to be blunt and say I don't see the issue.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, I was asking what the limit on Honda approved cars were. I noticed it was low but was told everything that needed to be done would be done. I paid a premium for an approved car so I expect things like that to be sorted. Honda themselves insist that their used cars aren't used, they're Honda approved....

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm not aware of any limit being imposed, but one of the @Holdcroft Honda staff might be able to tell you otherwise. Nothing needs to be done right now, consumable items are always being consumed, you've got a while to go yet :Smile:

"Honda Approved" means they passed their safety and standards checklist, it doesn't mean all consumables have been replaced with new unfortunately. Regardless of any wordplay, it's still a used car.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I too am not aware of a 'Honda Approved' minimum as opposed to the legal limit.

Many dealers (other brand too) put some horrible, cheap, nasty tyres on the used cars they sell. The cost is certainly included in the price you pay. I would much rather have some part worn tyres so that I can fit what I want.
    Alternatively, it's an area for negotiating a set of decent tyres at the offset.

Irrespective of the stamped service history, I would also change all the fluids etc. That's something many on here would do too.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The tyres are legal, they have no need to change all four tyres for new ones. Thats like saying I want new discs, pads, entire suspension replaced and engine overhauled as it is not how I like it. Its a second hand car, its legal when it leaves the forecourt, if the tyres arent as the buyer likes them, they either don't buy the car or budget new tyres into their purchase and replace them themselves afterwards, which is what I normally do.

7. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, you're missing my point....of course the tyres are legal , Honda have a standard for an approved used car and I am interested in knowing how that relates to tyres....again in Honda words their approved cars are of a standard superior to a regular used car

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Tyres aren't actually mentioned, at least here... Why Buy an Approved Used Honda? | Used Cars | Honda (UK)

'Honda Approved' appears to be a meaningless sales phrase. All used car dealers make similar woolly claims about how carefully they check the cars they want you to buy!

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My understanding was that the warranty on a 'Honda Approved Used Car' was valid at any Honda dealer. Any other warranty would be limited to that dealer/chain.

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .