General Minor leak in top of Tailgate

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Thursday 11th Jun, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I've noticed this for a little while, but haven't been concerned about it, as it seemed minor, so I kept putting off looking into it.

Today, after washing the car, it seems worse than usual, so I'll have to have a look at it this weekend. Basically, there are very light streams of water that I notice down the inside of the rear window, starting at the cover for the high level brake light
    IMG_20150611_193400.

I inspected the top of the tailgate, in the section circled in green, and that is bone dry. The area marked in blue is where the rear boot seal meets the tailgate, so as the area in green is dry, I can only assume the water is NOT coming in through the seal
    IMG_20150611_193559.

Inspecting the inside of the brake light cover, it seems like most of the water is on the top right, so it looks like the water is coming in somewhere just to the right of the high level tail light, which is under the rear spoiler.
    IMG_20150611_193442.

I'll have to look up how to remove the spoiler to have a look at this over the weekend.

Last edited: Thursday 11th Jun, 2015
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    May be the glass bonding is given away ever so slightly letting in water.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm suspecting something like that. Some silicone sealant should remedy that

4. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    ****Pedant alert****

Apparently silicone will attack the paint on the car. Use a PU screen bonder to avoid this or body seam sealant/caulking away from the screen.

Nels and RogerH69 like this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the warning. I got some of this stuff to use instead

Nels likes this.
  6. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    That will do nicely sir....:Thumbup:

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Now all I need is some dry weather....

8. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Can't help with that.......sorry:sorry::fingerscrossed:

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

It looks almost promising....

Untitled.

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Finally got round to taking the spoiler off to see if I can find the source of the leak. Spoiler comes off real easily, with just to nuts to unscrew (size 10 spanner) and then pull it away from the tailgate and a couple of clips will disengage. The seals at the sop of the window seemed ok on visual inspection.
    100_0036.

Having a closer look at the holes the clips go into, I noticed this one had some dirt and stain marks where the clip seal under the clip is supposed to be, and it also seem like it's bee pulled a bit hard, as parts of the hole seem raised
    100_0037.

Looking at the matching clip, I noticed it had no seal sitting between the clip and the body, and also that the clip was broken (in fact, the plastic bit under it was broken too, so a replacement spoiler may be in order some time). This looked like a likely culprit for the water ingress. The position of this clip could explain why it doesn't seem to leak when it rains, but it does if I use the pressure washer on the car.
    100_0038.

Checking further, I also noticed some rust under this seal (yay... rust). It was only minor, so I just cleaned it away for now, and sealed around this seal with some Tiger Seal PU Sealant
    100_0040.

While i had the sealant mounted in the gun, I decided to run a thread of it along the top of the existing window seal, just for good measure.
    100_0041.

I'm going to get a replacement clip for the spoiler clip that's broken (which should come wit ha seal on it), but for now, I used some of the thin foam sealant i bought to use on the tailgate trim, and stuck it over the hole for broken clip. I made the hole in the foam a little smaller than the actual clip, to make a better seal around the clip (seeing as the clip doesn't actually engage in the hole, this will help a little with any water ingress that gets in through here.
    100_0042.

I saw another clip that had a torn seal, so patched the hole for that clip with some of the foam seal as well.
    100_0043. 100_0044.

exec and Ichiban like this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Champion well done Rog simple fix.

RogerH69 likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good work @RogerH69

Did you try a leak test with hose to confirm it's fixed ?

RogerH69 likes this.
  13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Not yet. I am waiting for a replacement clip to arrive, so the spoiler is properly clipped in. I will then test the seals.

14. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

@SpeedyGee - after washing the car, there does not seem to be any water inside. I removed the plastic trim that covers the high level brake light, and it's bone dry. Job done it seems.

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :party: :clap::GoodJob:

RogerH69 likes this.
  16. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I've ordered some replacement clips, and will then take off the spoiler again and replace the clips. At the same time, I'll see if I can repair the plastic that's broken with some plastic repair glue and putty.

17. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Replacement clips for the spoiler arrived, so I popped it off, and here you can see where the one plastic clip holder has broken
    IMG_20150624_191103. IMG_20150624_191119.

One with some of the plastic repair glue. Once it had dried, I put in the new clip
    IMG_20150624_192105.

Followed by some repair putty
    IMG_20150624_192631.

And replaced the other 2 clips on the spoiler
    IMG_20150624_192039. IMG_20150624_192053.

I don't think I'll be getting any more water coming in now :Smile:

SpeedyGee likes this.