General Mirror Glass Replacement

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by MickyB, Wednesday 19th Nov, 2014.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just a little help needed.
    Yesterday when I went to pick my car up from the works car park I discovered that my passenger mirror glass was cracked, as it was folded in I don't know if someone had caught it or if it had just cracked with the cold.

Anyway I've sourced a replacement but looking at the parts diagrams I'm not to sure if I can replace the glass without taking the whole assembly off the door.
    Can anyone help. The new one can be clipped into place when the old one is removed, does this mean that I can just prise the old one out of position and put the new one in?
    Cheers.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You shouldn't need to take the mirror assembly off, to replace the mirror.

Have a look at Rogers guide Side Mirror Indicator Lens Remove and Replace
    Ignore the first half, scroll straight down to where Roger takes the mirror part off.

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    As @SpeedyGee says, you shouldn't need to take the whole thing off. Just tilt the mirror all the way up, and then 'pop' the mirror out (as described in my guide). New one should then just clip in place. I'd recommend you use a thick cloth as some cushioning when pushing the replacement mirror back in place, so as to distribute the force when you press on it.

MickyB likes this.
  4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Also @MickyB if the cracked mirror was heated, make sure the replacement is heated too as its definitely something we take for granted! I made the mistake of buying regular glass and it is very annoying to see it misted up while the other mirror is clear.

MickyB likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Some good advice there guys :Thumbup:

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great write up Roger very very useful. I am going to change it tomorrow had a long hard night at work and a bit sleepy so knowing me I'd change the wrong side or something.
    The mirrors on mine are not heated so no worries of the wires.thanks chunky.
    Big fat cloth at the ready for tomorrow.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Glad you found it useful @MickyB . Let us know how you get on.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Epic failure!!! Followed the guide to the letter,Great, got the old one out then looking at the replacement the back was slightly different but I thought it will just slot in ? How wrong I was and trying to get it in I broke some of the locating pins off the back.
    I contacted the seller on EBay and he asked for a photograph which I sent him. He rang me straight back and said oh you need the old type back plate you have ordered the wrong one to which I said I used your automated selection which chose this for me. It's ok he said we'll send you the right one you send that one back and I'll refund you the return postage.

Only problem I said was that trying to get it to fit I had broke some of the locating pins off !!!

Oh he said well in that case it will be £18 to which I said sorry mate but you cocked up by sending me the tong one.

After some discussion we came to a mutual agreement and I got it for £6 which was the difference between the two.

As the old one had cracked severly on removal I had to totally break off all the fitments on the back of the wrong replacement and double side tape it to the original as I needed a mirror to get me to work.

Well the correct one arrived on Saturday and following the guide again I got it in in about four minutes.

So all in place and ok.

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

LOL well you got there in the end. :GoodJob:

MickyB likes this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks to a great write up:clap:

11. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

*blush*

Glad if it helped (that's why we do them after all)

DeviateDefiant and MickyB like this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    :Need Pics:

C'mon @MickyB, you're slacking :Laughing:

MickyB likes this.
  13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The wife has took it out. But I'll get some later It's not much different to Rogers write up, I was we'll miffed though cause I got the replacement from EBay and the guy had a comparison chart set up, you entered the car details and it told you if the one you were ordering was for your car and it said it was.
    When I spoke to him on the phone he said oh you have the OLD type backing plate which wasn't even showing on his lists at all.
    But anyway its in now and at least I can only see one thing that's following me not a dozen all in little bits :Grin: