Aftermarket Kit Missing a few things

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Mark Whitfield, Monday 15th Dec, 2014.

1. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Hi

Moved from a 6th Generation Golf to my CR-V mainly due to buying a caravan which the Golf wasn't quite heavy enough for.

I do miss a few things from it though and was wondering if anyone had retro-fitted to or adapted their 2nd Generation CR-V being rain sensing wipers, auto headlights and auto locking doors

Thanks

Mark.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Technically all are doable. I couldn't give you any details though as I've not looked into doing any of those.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I believe the rain-sensing wipers were available on higher 3rd Generation trims, I know that doesn't help you much :Laughing:

Door auto-locking is complicated as it needs to be able to check whether the key is nearby (transponder) and not lock the car if the keys are within the vehicle. The immobiliser on modern Hondas is so locked down, I feel this may be hard to achieve. I'm assuming your car then doesn't automatically lock after so many minutes have passed? I can't find it in the 2nd Generation brochures at all, it is standard on many later models.

Auto-lights would need to utilise an ambient light sensor, I'm sure there will be off the shelf controllers you can buy somewhere. Wiring would be a little messy as you'd need a manual off, and you can't utilise the stock controls as you can't automatically turn the stalk to the "on" position when the sensor kicks in and to turns the lights on.

I'm not even sure how the auto-windscreen wipers work, I'm assuming some kind of capacitive film of the windscreen? Or a small capacitive module out of view somewhere? @Ichiban might be able to shed some light on this.

4. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Thanks, looks like a few projects for me. Auto wipers work by measuring infra-red light coming through the windscreen. Auto locking not a big thing but would like a lock / unlock switch on the dash, maybe in the blank near the cool box

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It'd love to see some of those options come into fruition.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance with the 2nd Generation, do you not have a control on the drivers door? There's always the old fashioned way or pushing down the locking pin on the door :Laughing: ...and you should be able to tap that feed to make up a switch without issue.

6. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    No mate no switch on the door but did see a pic of a door handle on ebay with one. Will tap into the door loom and mount switch on the dash. The Mrs keeps knocking the door pin down with her elbow and its a right stretch to reach around to pull it back up. With other cars you could pull the handle which would unlock and open but not this one

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

As the Sport is the middle spec, I'd assume then that door handle was either only on the highest Executive model, or perhaps only introduced on the Facelift. You would probably be better off grabbing that than going the complete custom route for ease.

8. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    I see your point but no fun in easy!

Found a retro-fit rain sensing wiper kit on USA eBay for about £70 but will probably look at a variable speed manual one first

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That's the spirit! :Laughing:

So what's the difference, one works at one speed, the other adjusts based on how heavy it's raining?

10. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Currently I have a fixed interval of approx 5 seconds. I can add a small circuit and knob to make that interval variable manually or the one with the rain sensor will automatically vary the interval to suit the rain intensity

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I follow now, the automatic interval certainly sounds best, I assume you can "tune" it to figure out the correct speed for a certain about of rain?

12. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Correct!

Also regarding the central locking switch it would appear that none of the 2nd Generation models had the switch on the door but the 1st Generation ones did. Generic switch time!

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Do you have a blank switch plate by the side of your steering wheel? That would work perfectly, could use a fog light switch, respray it and stamp a custom key emblem on it - about as close as I can think of for an OEM look.

14. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Hi Mark.
    I have an 06 CR-V and you can lock all the doors by pushing down the drivers door lock pin. The U.S. model has a switch next to the door handle to manually lock.

15. Mark Whitfield Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark UK
    Thanks Lango. Wish the UK ones did too. Working on wiring a switch into the dash so both driver and passenger can lock/unlock all doors