General missing locking wheel nut

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike c, Sunday 29th Dec, 2013.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    I had some replacement tyres fitted to my CR-V a few weeks ago at my local tyre depot. Yesterday I actually managed to give my car a thorough clean and whilst doing the wheels noticed that the locking nut on the front offside wheel was missing!
    The car went back to have the tracking checked after a couple of hundred miles and it wasn't noticed on this check. I rang the tyre depot but they are on skeleton staff so most of the fitters are on holiday.
    I wonder if it is possible to get a genuine replacement locking wheel nut to match the others ?
    Anyone had this problem ?
    Mike c

2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i had to replace all 4 because of similar event, but think they were about £20 with the removal key, try fitting place for compo but if you drive it then they gonna say you are supposed to check first lol :Hey:

3. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have contacted the tyre place and when all the fitters are back at work (Thursday ) they will check their toolboxes for the missing nut. If they can't find it I will ask them to replace the set. I have known the owner for many years so I am hoping to get a good response from him.
    Did the set you mentioned come from Honda?
    Mike c

4. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

no it was for my i30 but were good quality still on but I am thinking of doing away with locking nuts on all my cars, not often we get wheel pinchers nowadays. :Happy:

5. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ooh, I don't think that I am that brave. With tyre prices at around £120 to £190 each I think it is safer to keep the locking nuts in place.
    Mike c

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It usually states on the invoice that after driving about 50 miles you should check all the wheel nuts and re-tighten them. If it's taken you 2 weeks to notice then clearly this hasn't happened. I would be very surprised if any garage would entertain such a claim.

As you've known the guy for a long time is it really worth damaging the relationship for the sake of £20.

7. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

When I collected the car after having the new tyres fitted I was told to return to the depot for a check up after a few hundred miles or a couple of weeks. I did this, handed the fitter the keys and he took the car into the tyre bay to do his checks.
    As far as I am concerned he checked the fitting of the tyres, torque of the nuts and the tracking , which had previously checked/adjusted.
    It was only after this while washing the wheels that I noticed the locking wheelnut was missing.
    anyway I contacted my local Honda dealer to see if they can supply a matching nut , only to be told that they can only supply full sets at a coost of £52 (including a new socket to match).
    i have put a temporary locking wheelnut on but it is smaller than the original and unlike the original, has an external locking serration rather than the smooth close fitting type fitted by Honda. I have asked the tyre company if they are prepared to assist in the matter. They have promised to investigate and come back to me.
    Regards
    Mike c

8. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

it is tricky, but at least you know its only £52 to get it sorted lol let us know how it pans out :Unknown:

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I do away with locking nuts almost immediately.

As much as people think they are a deterrent, it took me very little extra time to remove mine when I got the car but no security key for them.

Majority of the time a 21mm socket will grip them enough when hammered on to remove them.

10. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for giving the world of thieves that little tip! Lol

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    If any theif is planning to go out and steal wheels I doubt very much a single post by me online is going to inform them of what to do.

The 300 scumbags mates of theirs would be the first port of call, followed by a quick search on Google which will bring up the same thing.

It's common knowledge amongst every single person that's ever had to remove a rounded off bolt or nut, and even the thousands of forum mechanics across the world.

Theives may be scumbags. But they generally aren't stupid.

12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Locking nut ket code

So my cousin bought a 2002 Accord from a place in London.

We've realised later that he hasn't got the locking nut key, and the code is nowhere to be found.

Is there any chance Honda UK holds records of those codes so that we can obtain it and order a replacement at a local dealership?

13. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I am told that Honda dealers ( and good tyre depots) hold master sets of the sockets so that they can get over this problem. They will sell you a new set which includes the correct socket. I presume that if they try their master set and can identify the correct one they may be able to order a replacement socket. No doubt a lot of garages will say they can remove the locking nuts and charge you for this service plus a new set of nuts and sockets.

14. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

as stated before its easy enough to remove locking nuts, so if you want to replace them it is relatively cheap for a set of 4 with key around £20 tops but maybe not Honda name :Wink: