General Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 4th Jun, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Saw one today on the today with trade plates out on a test drive, got to admit MMC has done a fab job..They claim it will achieve 148 MPG ,Honda may have to follow and come up with a suitable rival.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have to disagree on the looks of this car - both inside and out. The interior was nasty plastic, horrible to look at and was uncannily like a Mazda CX5 (thats not a compliment BTW).

Mitsubishi Outlander review - interior | Autocar

The rear lights look like an afterthought and the shape is akin to the boxy and cheap Chevrolet Orlando. Not really interested in their mythical PHEV with laughable 148mpg (yeh, as if it will ever do that in real life).

Drove one of the 2.2 diesels, can't remember which trim, but it was crap and boring to drive and leaned in corners like it was ready to topple over. Hideously overpriced for such a rubbish and underwhelming car.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I just saw the external side of the car nor did I see any reviews , exteriors look pretty pleasing to the eye TBH .it look better than Kia's

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Kia's arent anything special to look at either - choosing between the Outlander or comparative Kia Sportage would be akin to choosing whether you are shot or stabbed to death! Neither is desirable! :Laughing:

Superman001, Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh dear no convincing you is there.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The front looks crap. The rear and sides are ok but not stylish enough for me. Behind the steering wheel looks impressive along with 148mpg!

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL

don't take my word for it - go and waste 30 mins of your life with a test drive and then see if you can get those 30 mins back!

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm not convinced by the looks either, but the numbers look impressive and sure the technology is sound being Mitsubishi.

I would like to see a petrol/hybrid CR-V & Accord though - and sooner rather than later. I'll probably need to change cars at this point next year, and no idea where I'll be going! :Unknown:

A Lexus RX400h possibly, or a GS300h. Not convinced by the IS. Maybe look at the Volvo XC60 & XC70. And will then probably end up with a CR-V in the absence of a new Accord...:Smile:

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Looks really nice like an Evoque but the rear is awkward, the car itself sounds amazing if the stats and claimed figures are true in the real world and the price is superb, would be surprised if its not a sales success.

10. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The +140mpg is unobtainium. Even Mitsubishi admitted somewhere.

The "real world MPG" is more like 95mpg-ish but still impressive nonetheless.

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I doubt such a car will ever be a sales success for such poor quality, excessive price and nonsensical MPG claims. As noted by RoyalBlue, I too have seen (somewhere!) where Mitsubishi noted that the claimed performance is theoretical, not literal.

Doesnt change the fact that its still a overpriced and rubbish car from the ground up. I suggest people go test drive it and then tell me if I am wrong....

12. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Only Mitsi for me would be a blown Starion wide body.

John Dickson likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unless you have owned and driven, then sorry but that is just a silly and ignorant thing to say, sometimes you need to take off the rose tinted glasses and accept that there are other car manufacturers out there and they also make good cars. I'm a total honda fanboy myself, but i like and appreciate other cars, always been a Jap fanboy so no issues for me if its not a Honda.

This car is so crap that one of my colleagues is test driving one with a view to buying it! The technology in this is great and the price is great, will be ideal for company car, as zero tax, and for people who live in London no congestion charge, I have no doubt these will full up the roads of London soon enough.

Well done to MMC, and nice to see a Jap company making nice innovative product.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  14. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do agree with Exec.

It is:
    1. Cutting-Edge hybrid tech
    2. Big and roomy, and
    2. Not insanely priced for hybrid

If it as reliable as most general Japanese cars, I am sure it is going to be a winner. From what I hear, MMC already can't make enough of these puppies.

Heck, we are at the stage where it is £100 to fill a tank which is crazy.

15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    also to add, where is Honda now in regards to electric power and hybrid? For a company who has been developing electric and hybrid technology for well over 20 years they have very little mass market product to show for it, they haven't produced anything remarkable since the 1st Generation Insight, the 2nd Generation was remarkable and the CR-Z was another unremarkable product in terms of drivetrain and both a sales failure, they even had hydrogen technology and were leasing FCX Clarity's, yet havent been able to produce any proper mass market product, yet now you even have BMW releasing very interesting electric based products like i3 and i8.

Honda should be embarrassed, from being at the forefront of electric and hybrid technology and constantly shouting about it, they have fallen behind and been overtaken by others, and all they can churn out is boring diesels and petrols with bolt on turbos. Really they should have produced performance cars being powered by electric motors long time ago, but they can't even do that.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda is making a comeback in the hybrid section , even if you don't hear about it ..they will back with a MASSIVE bang ...but in Europe when all fleet departments flogging to diesel there is no room for the ridiculed hybrids. Let's face it the outlander will sell the same number of car as honda hybrid did. So please don't kid yourself this will make diesel owners jumping out of their smoke wagons.

Europe mindset to hybrids is NOT there so what can honda do withdraw until public perception to environment change.

17. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The likes of NSX are still long way away though and it is niche product, also don't think it's necessarily to do with Europe preferring diesels, Toyota have done fantastically well with hybrids, i see one Prius to every fiesta on the road and they now have a much larger fleet of hybrid mainstream cars like the Yaris, Auris, Verso etc, then you look at Honda and it is nothing but a failure, they have no product range to compete, why didn't the Insight sell as well as the Prius? It saddens to me see them in that state, they have all the ingredients to be the best in the world, but they just waste away and pitch themselves next to Vauxhall's.

As for the Outlander it won't get every diesel owner out of their car but I predict it will get a lot, particularly in London, they will also get the technology into other cars so if they come up with some decent MPV's with the PHEV technology i can see the likes of Addison Lee replacing their entire fleet with a PHEV Grandis or something.

I also predict the likes of BMW will change european mindset to hybrids, as they know how to market things and create perception, something Honda and other Jap marques can never get to grips with, perhaps because of xenophobic tendencies in Europe where asian stuff is seen as inferior.

18. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You should google the market research by BMW.

Their 'i' cars are mainly bgt by now-BMW owners. No need to say more.

Honda really needs to grab the marketing bull by the horns.

exec likes this.
  19. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can assure you the test drive I had was not a 5 minute spin at all. Granted, I don't own one (nor would I want to), but the drive I had was extremely comprehensive. I could equally say that your colleague looking to buy it is being silly and ignorant - we're all wearing rose tinted glasses in one way or another.

Its called individual opinions. I accept that - pity you didnt/can't/won't accept mine. But I digress.

I've always accepted others make good cars - thats why I am considering the Lexus NX for a start (see other Lexus NX thread)!! This has nothing to do with fan-boyism - I've only ever had 2 Honda's - hardly a platform for a fan let alone fan boy. And i still stand by my view that this car will not sell well nor clog up London at all. A good car from MMC does not quantify it as a good car for everyone else.

royalblue, exec and Ichiban like this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, just the way you expressed it seems very childish, calling something rubbish just because you don't like it for whatever reason doesn't make it rubbish, I hate Audi's with a passion for example but would never in all seriousness just call them rubbish, because they are still decent road cars and make some good cars that a serve a purpose to people. If your gonna call something rubbish so ambiguously then you should substantiate it. Fact of the matter is with the Outlander you are still getting a well built Japanese motor that is designed for fuel economy and low running costs that can transport a family and provide relative comfort, it serves it's purpose well and has cutting edge technology at a very good price, the base model is cheaper than a Civic, that says a lot, it's good value, you not liking it doesn't make it a rubbish car.