Service & Maintenance Mobile 1 ESP Vs Castrol Edge Oil (Also BG244 Diesel Cleaner)

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Accord_N22, Friday 23rd May, 2014.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Guys

Quick question.

My mate works at a garage and he is able to get me oil at his staff discount rate. Thinking of grabbing some of my next oil change. I know its weird, I've just serviced the car and thinking of my next oil service. Wife thinks I am strange. lol

He can get either the Mobile 1 ESp 0w/30 or the Castrol Edge 0w/30
    Which is better ? or are they both the same and it doesn't matter?

mobile1esp_zpsfc81c20a.

castroledge0w30_zps6b54f6d8.

Also he can get me something called BG244 diesel cleaner. He says its very good.
    Is this worth getting putting this in my car even though I am not getting any running issues at the moment? Preventative maintenance perhaps?

KGrHqRHJEsFEw0qQBJlBSVrZK5SQ60_58_zps8fd00866.

Thanks guys

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've ran Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge but at different weights and on a petrol so can't give you a direction comparison. Castrol Edge and Magnatec are firm favourites for a lot of members, Honda also recently launched a European partnership with them to promote their oils (that's probably more a marketing decision than anything mechanical). I'm a Mobil convert, but I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

I'd narrowly vote Mobil, just because I've personally had a better experience with them.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Either will be fine i would have thought,never used either of them so can't say which is better.
    As for BG244 i personally wouldn't bother, just use good quality diesel like BP or Shell if you can.

4. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks guys @Zoran @DeviateDefiant
    I would probably lean towards the Castrol edge this time as its slightly cheaper (by around £8) for the 6 litres
    Currently running the mobile esp at the moment so would be nice to see if there's any difference

I have a spare bottle of redex diesel fuel cleaner (left over from my other diesel car I had) - is that safe to use on Honda diesel engines?

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You'll definitely get that lovely post-service smoothness regardless of which one you choose :Smile: I believe we've had this discussion elsewhere on the site about diesel cleaner, have a search. I'd personally say don't bother unless there's something wrong, I've had bad experienced with Redex in the past.

6. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Oooh, what happened with the redex??

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Honda don't recommend any type of fuel additive.
    I wouldn't even show my baby any, yet alone give her some.

As DD said, unless there is a serious problem, don't.
    If something is that wrong, ask the guys on here, or consult a Honda dealership.
    On here, you'll get the straight hard truth ! :Tea:

Using a DPF compatible 0-30W will be far better than additives.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've been using Honda approved Tunap 973 every few months and the cars returning better MPG + is more responsive. I'm sure there's a Honda approved diesel version of Tunap @Ichiban ?

9. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I use Castrol Edge 0w30 in the winter and 5w30 for the summer, every 5000 - 6000 miles. Definitely sounds better on cold start up with the 5w30 :Wink:

Accord_N22 likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Didn't think Honda recommended any additives. :Sorry:
    Stand corrected.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They don't if you read the owners manual , but so many fuel companies now days making fuel just slightly above the BSI British Standards, supermarket fuels just scrape though with a very narrow margin which has made things worse. if the fuel exceeded the spec by a higher margin then we won't be needing these snake oils.

Nels likes this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That's okay then.
    I thought I'd been giving the wrong advice. :Grin:

Ichiban likes this.
  14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Just spotted this, effectively it turned a badly performing X16LET Astra engine into a worse performing one :Laughing:

Accord_N22 likes this.
  15. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Crikey. Will DEF avoid using it. I did use it on the seat Arosa diesel and use the petrol version redex in the Prelude. Seems ok. Although Modern diesels are a lot more sensitive I think.