Queries & Feedback Mobilio Spike tweaks

Discussion in 'H-Tune' started by JayG, Thursday 5th May, 2016.

1. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom JayG London
    I have just won a 2003 Mobilio Spike at auction in Japan and I have already plans for it involving lowered springs and a new set of wheels (black or gunmetal with polished rim ideally - it's for a silver car).

There will be further moderate tweaks such as air filter and possibly exhaust down the line. I realise, as it's a CVT auto, it will be limited as to what performance enhancements can be made but I think a more purposeful stance will be a good start aesthetically.

Do you stock anything suitable? What steps would you recommend to my budget conscious self?

jay's spike.

legend-ary likes this.
  2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I know the Mobilio came in a iDsi and VTEC (L15a) version, pretty sure the GK1 Spike was only VTEC, but not positive, so a bit better on the performance. Same engine in the sport version of the FIT so root through engine modifications from that perspective. Personally if I were to modify the Mobilio I would focus on handling, but without a large injection of cash there isn't much to do with the engine and would be concerned about keeping the transmission in one piece. It's a rear beam suspension so only so much you can do with the handling aspect possibly polyurethane bushes (it shares the same lower control arm as a GD1) and as you said coil-overs and lower it a bit.

Best bet in my opinion spend your cash on a good in car entertainment system, go over all the servicing, and some good quality detailing products.

Waiting is the hardest part when importing, but it looks good from the photos hope it does well for you.

PeteMM and JayG like this.
  3. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Er, hope you don't mind me butting in here :Blushing:

After seeing the recent discussion about the similarities between the Jazz and the Spike i had a look at the suspension diagrams between the two:

Spike front:

B_28_.

Jazz front:

B__2800.

Spike rear:

B_30_.

Jazz rear:

B__3000.

There are some differences in dust covers, and other rubbery bits but i bet Jazz parts would fit on the Spike, and there is a massive tuning scene around the Fit/Jazz, unfortunately just not in the UK.

For cheap and cheerful wheels you might be able to find a 15" set of the ZCW R5's i have on my car with a sort of polished lip and gunmetal centres, Rota do some funky 15's too but they are normally quite aggressive fitment.

Stuff to mull over anyway.

JayG likes this.
  4. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

BB Baboonface likes this.
  5. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No worries, i think we are exited like you to see a funky modded Spike roaming the UK streets! :Wink:

Had a quick look for specific coilovers for your application, BC Racing do a set, although despite the similarities shown above they are different part numbers.

The units offered both are from the same (V1) range but the spring rates are different, likely tailored to work with the individual weights of the vehicles in question. Also those particular sets require that you reuse the cars existing top mounts, so if it was a case of using that brand then it would be worth making sure the top mounts were in good nick and up to the task of running a stiffer setup.

Also, one thing to watch when wheel shopping is that for a given wheel many companies tend to show a picture of the most aggressive fitment they offer in that particular design. This means the picture you see will have the width and super deep dish we might crave, yet is actually a picture of the 12J ET -30 configuration of the design, and something that suits your particular vehicle might actually be far tamer in looks/lip depth.

A good way to see what you will really be getting is to do an image search for your chosen rim with search terms using the specific parameters offered/chosen for your car, it will give you a better idea of what to expect.

To illustrate what i'm waffling about here is a pic often used when looking for the Enkei Tenjin:

TENJIN-GM-LR.

Very nice and all, super deep lips etc. etc.
    However, that is the 9.5J (9.5 inch wide) low offset configuration of the wheel in question, something that fits your particular application might be narrower and have a higher offset, thus in the flesh looking more like this:

hYudFfQ3DRqW.
    Not ugly perhaps, but certainly lacking in the dish you might be expecting given the first picture that is used to sell the wheel on most sites.

Maybe not important to everyone but worth consideration, it has always bugged me anyway!! lol.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry, just to clarify on the coilovers, i meant different part numbers for the Jazz compared to the Spike.

JayG likes this.
  6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I don't mind in the least the more the merrier thanks for pointing out that there are differences :Thumbup:

In my post I was looking on the front lower control arm for bushes for polyurethane replacement (personally don't like them, but then again don't push my cars that hard and squeaking is always an issue) and didn't event look at springs and struts - even finding standard OEM style replacement parts for those is a nightmare the struts are very long and thin in comparison to the GD1. Lowering a car in Ireland is not always a wise thing to do given the state of the roads, the need for engineers report on modification for road test and insurance so on and so on.

In terms of aftermarket parts the rubber bits at least cross between the gd1 fit, Mobilio gb1, and Spike gk1 - REAR ARM BUSHING FRONT ARM - Febest #HAB-140 - old.febest.eu FRONT ARM BUSHING FRONT ARM - Febest #HAB-141 - old.febest.eu BALL JOINT FRONT LOWER ARM - Febest #0320-JZ - old.febest.eu the stabilizer bush for the Spike does not fit the Fit. The aftermarket dust covers, bearing mount, and several others match, but then again many don't. The front link ends you could rob off a Renault Master 3 and slot them in no problem :shock:.

@JayG To modify your Spike you'll need to do your research, as I said you can swipe a lot from the GD1 Fits but as pointed out not all will work. I've seen some bits and pieces specifically for the Spike trawling Japanese auction sites coil overs, strut tower, rear pillar and sub frame supports are out there, but you'll pay through the snot to get your hands on them. One place to look for ideas is みんカラ - 車・自動車SNS - ブログ・パーツ・整備・燃費 there are several blogs, guides and reviews on it but it can be a bit difficult to navigate even with a good translation program.

JayG, legend-ary and BB Baboonface like this.
  7. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

^^Oh we cookin now! lol.
    Nice finds on those interchangeable parts Zack :Niceone:

I reckon the main difference on those BC coilovers will simply be the spring rates rather than strut design. 6kg all round on the Jazz, 5kg up front and 8kg rear for the Spike, found a set of Tein street basis for the Spike too.
    Been looking into camber kits, there are bolts for the front, but i guess the rear is more tricky due to the design of the suspension, seen someone fitting spacer shims under the rear knuckle but it looks like a pain, and accuracy of shim thickness would be important.

Found some bits for camber adjustment, accurately made shims will be a big help: http://www.spcalignment.com/index.php?option=com_spc&task=details

And a link to a DIY on the Jazz (assuming the Spike is similar here) DIY rear camber mod for gd!! - Unofficial Honda FIT Forums

@JayG Sorry man, going off on one here! I know you mentioned springs rather than coilovers, Tein do sets for your car.
    Obviously a cheaper option, but they can sometimes be hard on the original shock absorbers. You could get a set of springs to start with and perhaps change to coilovers if the stock shocks give up the ghost.

JayG and legend-ary like this.
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Haha I don't know if @JayG will go all out on mods or not but I fear that if I keep looking at this thread I am in real danger of falling down this rabbit hole ;D
    Top links coming through. Haha

JayG, jd1959 and BB Baboonface like this.
  9. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys.

Some really cool resources there.

On the Fit forum there was mention of air suspension kits from Monroe :: PASSENGER CARS

This might be another way to go. More expensive but, as I'll be loading the Spike with band gear fairly regularly, might be kinder to it.

Not sure if I'll be going into camber kits, but then I too tend to get drawn in when I start things.

Office Satoken on YouTube, a Spike owners club, have some ideas that I can pull from too.

This could be a long and gradual project but I'm really excited about where it could lead.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

10. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I have a set of 8.5 and 9.5 Ultralite Daiki for sale in the classifieds might suit your needs and very similar in design to those pictured above

11. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

They look pretty cool.

Will check if they'll fit. Also have to see how much money I'll have as still waiting for the full price of the Spike to be sent over.

Thanks though. Really dig how they look.

PeteMM likes this.
  12. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    More than happy to deal on them as I need the room/cash sadly

JayG likes this.
  13. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @PeteMM - as soon as I find out what I need to hand over to my agent I'll have a better idea of what cash I have to play with.:peace:

PeteMM likes this.
  14. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I reckon this will be one of the first things being ordered from @H-Tune - BLOX Racing Performance Air Filter Kit (w/ Velocity Stack and Silicone Hose) (BXIM-003XX) - UK Dealer (just need to know what the correct size I'll need for the Spike - guessing it will be the same as a Jazz).

Would people recommend Blox, Skunk2 or Eibach for lowering springs? Looking for a more aggressive stance, to be matched with wheels when I can afford it, but they'll still have to cope with a fully laden vehicle at times. Are springs the way to go or should I be looking at coilovers or maybe air?
    Reckon I'm going to start creating a wishlist as I can see this project taking up most birthdays and Christmases for the foreseeable future :help:

15. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Jay, heard many people say good things about Eibach springs, they are usually progressive too, so are not too rough on ride comfort for general driving but get stiffer under load when cornering. Not heard much about the other two brands TBH.
    As above, you need to make sure your original shocks and top mounts are in good condition, sometimes changing height and spring rate on original damping settings can be tough on the stock components.

Air is pretty epic, but i'd imagine costs for fitting all the lines and a decent control system will soon mount up. Also, if you want to keep space free in the vehicle it may be a pain finding somewhere to fit the control and compressor units.

Coilovers offer the ability to tune your height and should have a matched spring rate to damper setting tailored for your vehicle. The kits above require use of your original top mounts, so again worth making sure they are up to the task, basically not full of play and knocking like a mofo!
    Hopefully coilies or springs should have enough load bearing "headroom" to allow for a fully laden vehicle, i'd guess more so with coilies being a matched setup, but i'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to that sort of thing!

16. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks again @BB Baboonface - That all makes sense to me, which isn't easy, believe me! Heh.

I'd a feeling that coileovers might be the better way to go so that also helps. I guess there's much to be said for doing things properly the first time. It might take longer to save up but you should only need to do it once.

~makes note to self not to go half-arsed on stuff~

Cheers.

J

17. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Haha! We all have to start somewhere, hope i'm not patronising you too much. Not an expert either, so always worth double checking on your chosen products, forums are usually a good source for balanced opinions at least, less of the hard sell element.

Good idea to get the best you can afford, it does save headaches in the long run.
    Also worth remembering that any suspension component is essentially still a service part, so a brand that has spares available is useful, just in case.

Keep us posted, will assist where we can :Smile:

18. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Heh. Not patronising at all buddy. I've only ever done 'Halfords' style mods on the modern cars I've owned before. The rest have been more on the classic side so things like working out what wheel/tyre combo will fit, tweaking suspension, etc is all new for me.

I am looking to use known and supported brands - but a good point about replacements/spares.

I am really wanting this Spike to end up a bit of a cruiser but with a 'sleeper' element to it. Being an auto, I can't see it winning many traffic light drag races but with some tasteful tweaks it can sit better, run smoother, look and sound better. If I get a few more horses and extra usable torque and handling, bonus.

I am sure that @H-Tune and the like will be able to assist.

19. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Reckon you are going about things the right way and will end up with something truly unique.

Who cares about traffic light grand prix if your car is one of a kind and makes you feel good, H-Tune do have a monster catalog of stuff on offer too, got to hit them up for some stuff myself.

Check out Autostreak.jp for inspiration too, they have all sorts of JDM body kits etc. MOBILIO SPIKE Aero Parts / Tuning Performance Auto Parts Online Shop - MOBILIO SPIKE Online Shop - autostreak.jp - Japan Car Parts JDM Parts (Quite like the Value Sports kit for the Spike :Smile:)

20. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the link to Autostreak - there's some interesting kit there and some crazy shipping costs. Handy for the smaller bit though.

Nice one @BB Baboonface :Niceone: