Body, Paint & Styling Modern Red Paint

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by davemazo, Tuesday 18th Dec, 2012.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is modern red paint still prone to fading?

I`m looking to change to an 8th Generation and just wondering whether to omit red cars from my search.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In a nutshell yes they are, one of the reasons I did not order one when I got my 8th Generation. Milano red R81 does have a clear coat which over time changes colour to pink and fades.

Car which are neglected not cared for or stand in the sun for hours will see accelerated fade.I would say to all Milano red owners it will never last as brand new, it affects all reds and not only to Honda.

3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thought so CJ but wasn`t too sure. I remember though about 18 months ago at my local Honda dealer I asked about red paint fading and he replied "no not any more with modern paints".

Just thought I`d check as I`ve spotted what looks like a nice red tourer. Think I`ll give it a miss

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I was going through Dupont,ICI and PGP paint guides and came across a new variant of milano red out which has a different formula and is less prone to fade. I forget the new colour code but will update it soon.

So the future of fade free R81 water base paints and their soft clear coats is here, but it won't be on your car.

I would avoid R81 for the time being, anyone who tell you R81 won't fade is wrong however they are right its a modern paint.

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think as long as you polish and seal once a year it should be ok, or get a detailer to do it for you. Modern sealants are easy to use and apply, cheap at Halfords, Meguiars NXT etc.

Depends how long you intend to keep it for, if like most people 5 years max, then it shouldnt be a problem.

Vauxhalls seem to be very prone to fade, no clearcoat to protect it.

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ironic you mention Vauxhall.

I had a Cavalier SRI in red, many years ago. Superb car, never missed a beat.

The colour however, was another story. Its only because I religiously cleaned, cured and waxed it EVERY Sunday for 5 years that it stayed pristine. I sold it to a mate thereafter, and within a month, it had gone from Flame Red to Rose Pink.

Personally, I'd rather shoot my kneecaps off and try to walk than buy a red car ever again.