Detailing Moldy Carpets

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by legend-ary, Tuesday 15th Dec, 2015.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello,

As many of you might know, I recently bought a Civic that has been sitting for a while. The carpets are all good but have patches of light mold on them. I thought about spraying some cleaning product and rub it with a brush but that will just ruin the pile of the carpet so I am thinking, has anyone done this? Any particular (budget) brush/product that you can recommend?

Mats I can throw away if I can't rejuvenate them but the actual carpet has some patches too. IMG_2312.JPG IMG_2318.JPG IMG_2319.JPG

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Personally I would actually take out the whole carpet from the car, wash it outside of the car, full dry it and then refit it.

It's not a bigger task as it actually sounds, take out all the seats, take off centre console around the handbrake area, take off some trim panels, unbolt seat belts and that's carpet should be free to pull out.

I think trying to clean in situ, you won't be able to clean it well enough. If you take it out you can get a garden hose to and dip a big brush on a broom stick in carpet cleaning solution and scrub the whole carpet.
    Leave it out to dry and refit.

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.
  3. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    totally agree with @SpeedyGee ,, definitely worth taking out and doing properly.. just make sure it's fully dried before it goes back in.

chris.

legend-ary likes this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

@SpeedyGee you make it sound too easy! :Hey:but I agree, that sounds like the best way to tackle it. However there is just one issue.. where do I find a garden hose :Messed: I live in a flat on 2nd floor and the company car park (where the car sits) has no water outlet. Joys of living in London.
    Maybe I can take the carpet out, take it to local BP and use Jet wash £6 for 5min or so. That is the only way I can think of.
    - - - Updated - - -
    IDEA!
    I have been meaning to clean carpets of my flat.. How about I hire one of these Rug Doctor Carpet Cleaning and get the optional car attachment and clean the car's carpet using Hot water extraction while the carpet is still in OR I can still take it out but atleast the machine has built in tank so no worries about water supply. Plus I can go on and clean the flat's carpets later.. haha two birds with one stone.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I was just going to suggest a Vax or similar. If you don't have one, could you borrow one?

legend-ary likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I was going to suggest "go for the first option and we'll have someone on standby ready to take a photo of you walking back to your flat with dripping wet carpet on your head" :Grin::taunt:

More seriously Rug Doctors are pretty decent and it doesn't actually cost all that much to hire out, I'd say that's a good option.

legend-ary likes this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

haha I could always wear it like a poncho and no one will notice ;D
    51uw8cY3vSL.
    But yeah RugDoctor might be a good option as I can hire it and tackle the Civic and even the Jazz's fabric seats etc too.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Unfortunately I don't know anyone who owns that otherwise would have been quite convenient.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Agree with the previous comments @legend-ary

Those mats look like they'll come up fine as well, once cleaned with a carpet washer.

legend-ary likes this.