Detailing Monthly Wash n Wax n Detail

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Tim Martin, Tuesday 8th Dec, 2015.

1. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Hertfordshire
    Hi all

New member from Hertfordshire here.

Just got myself a Gen 8 accord. I don't have as much time as I used to wash and detail my car on my own.. There were times in my younger years (20's) where I could happily spend an afternoon doing so over a weekend, but now in my late 30's, being a dad and husband, other stuff takes priority..

The guy I purchased the car from looked in horror when I suggested it may have to go through a car wash.. NO! he said you will ruin the paint, swirl marks, etc.. the conversation continued in that direction until I promised him it would not see the inside of a carwash...

With that in mind, I would appreciate any recommendations on a good place I could take my car once a month close to me in Hertfordshire to get it properly cleaned/detailed at a good price..

Best regards

Tim

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I can't help you with a detailer in your area, but it's worth knowing that Honda Paint is softer than many. A car wash would ruin her.

If you have access to a pressure washer, get a snow foam attachment and do it yourself. I can snow foam, pressure rinse, bucket wash, rinse and dry my black 8th Generation in under an hour, including the alloys.

3. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info!
    Never had a pressure washer before and -snow foam attachment? Could you recommend a brand to me - maybe I can get myself one for Christmas ..

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have a look through this

http://hondakarma.com/threads/snow-foam-a-good-idea-or-just-a-gimmick.15678/

Brand of power washers is down to personal preference and budget. Nilsfisk and Karcher seem to be popular. A small, domestic one is perfectly good enough for the car. I have a larger, more powerful unit as I use it around the garden too.

However, you need a decent snow foam attachment. e.g.

Just ensure you get the correct fitting for whichever pressure washer you buy.

You will also need some snow foam concentrate. Go for the neutral pH type as the alkaline ones tend to get the wax off too. e.g.

Please note. I am not recommending the sellers on the links above. They are just to show you the type of product.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Tim Martin I can't recommend a car wash place near you, but suggest you look on Detailing World, which has proper pros in all areas with reviews and recommendations.

As @Nels says, don't go near a car wash, or one of the many back street hand wash places - unless you know exactly what they are using. I've seen and heard some horror stories...especially with wheels being ruined.

I've just had a quick look, and this thread may be a good start.

I need a detailer in Hertfordshire - Detailing World

Good luck. 8th Generation Accords are fantastic cars, and well worth looking after properly...:Thumbup:

Nels likes this.
  6. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys - appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I think a combination of jet washing myself and a good detail every month or two should stand me in good stead...

Thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers

Regards
    Tim

7. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just about to buy myself a pressure washer for the body work clean... one question - is it ok to wash over the alloys with a pressure washer. What's the word on it being appropriate on using directly to clean off dirt from alloys - ok, or too aggressive on the lacquer ? .. Any issue on the brake calipers/pads being subjected to jet of water...

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Don't use full pressure or hols the lance to close.

I snow foam mine, pressure rinse off and then wash with a soft cloth. However, I did clean and wax them initially so the dirt doesn't stick. (I am a little obsessive)

See post #24 on http://hondakarma.com/threads/my-4th-accord-cu1.14614/page-2

9. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks - wax your alloys ! Sounds like you do a very thorough job on yours! - stupid question maybe but as I've not used one before - do pressure washers come with adjustable power ? so I can alter according to the area of the car I am working on

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Most of them do yes ! It'll actually be on the attachment that is being used.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Also, the closer the lance is to the car, the higher the pressure, so start about 2 feet away and gradually get closer. However, holding it on the same spot for too long or getting too close may strip the paint.
    If you've not used one before, practice on something else first. e.g. The wheels and body of those re-cycling bins on the drive.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Practice on something that doesn't matter! Great advice @Nels :Thumbup:

...and you've reminded me that my wheelie bins need hosing down, too!

:Laughing:

Nels likes this.
  13. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes a great tip -- thanks, wheelie bins will look best in the neighbourhood after I've finished with them.

I found a karcher k2 at homebase that looks that it should do the job..

Nels likes this.
  14. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys - I found a K4 pressure washer at argos for a decent price and opted for that in the end.. it arrived today and I got to work setting it up.
    Just using it on low/medium power and holding about 30 cm away from the body work, after the car dried there was still a film of dirt on the car which I can pick up on my finger if I run it across the paintwork.. I was hoping that more dirt would be lifted to be honest.. Perhaps I need to be more vigorous and hold it closer and on a more powerful setting - but worried I would mess up the paintwork.. Any further suggestions/advice from an experienced pressure washer user appreciated. - I have ordered a 3 in 1 car wash mix that can slot into the washer and when that arrives will give it a go - but hoped water on its own would give better results..

Any further suggestions welcome (wheelie bins however are now gleaming!)

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ @Tim Martin

I'm not a pressure washing expert - I don't use one - but from what I have read you need a 'snow foam' product of some sort.

http://hondakarma.com/threads/which-snow-foam.18592/live

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Snow foam first to soften and hydrate the dirt.
    Pressure rinse the muck off after a few minutes.
    Wash with microfiber mitt/sponge to remove the fine layer of dirt that remains.
    Rinse/pressure rinse.
    Dry with microfiber towel

wanner69 and FirstHonda like this.
  17. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Hi all, I use the dry wash system, the one you see on the shopping channels. I can't believe people still bother wrestling with hose pipes, buckets, sponges and all the other stuff that goes with it.
    I leave bump outside for an average of four months at a time while I'm out of the country so you can imagine the state she's in when I return. A quick spray and a wipe off and honestly I get a showroom shine ( well in the places that still have paint on ! )
    I was a pro valeter for rover then BMW so know how to clean a car and this gear really works. It also protects the paint from bird crap etc and lasts months.
    I believe it was developed in Florida as the use of hose pipes is banned. Has anyone else used it ? PS I don't work for the shopping channel lol.

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've used similar on the alloys when they were clean, just to add some protection. Also on the inner surface to remove the brake dust etc.

I have reservations about using it on a really dirty/gritty black car, so will be playing it safe for now, but can see that it will fill a need for some.
    To each his own.

19. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I agree completely, there's nothing like giving your motor the once over, its therapeutic and very gratifying, perhaps you could test a small section that's not on show. I don't know if you've watched the adds but I was impressed especially when they used a rattle can on the bosses new jag. It just lifted the paint without touching the original. Obviously I understand your reluctance to try on a decent car especially in black!

Nels likes this.
  20. Tim Martin Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hard to keep the car clean with the recent weather we are having recently! But... finally managed to get out on the driveway at the weekend with my 5 yr old son and wash the car.
    Plugged in the karcher "car and bike wash" cartridge in the jet wash and I have to say it did a pretty good job of getting the car clean. After some practice I think I can get it even better. Left the suds to soak for a few mins and then washed off.. No chance on the wheels which I ended up cleaning with a sponge and soap which unfortunately showed up some curbing on one of the wheels, dirt was hiding it before.. Ah well..

Had great fun doing it which is the main thing. Recommend this method for the fun factor alone. I Got a bit soaked when my son took control, wish I'd taken some pictures now..

Still loving my Honda 2.4 2 months on from purchase. It's a great motor to drive.

Nels and FirstHonda like this.