Service & Maintenance More issues with brakes

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Tuesday 18th Oct, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like I am suffering yet again more issues with the brakes on my car.

I have noticed that the car didn't seem to be as quick as it used to be and that sometimes when stopped it felt like one of the brakes was sticking slightly. So pulled into a carpark and jacked the car up, intending to do each corner in turn. I didn't get far as I found my drivers front brake was sticking on slightly. When I got home I pulled the calliper off to check the slide pins and pads, both of those where fine and moving properly since I installed them earlier this year. Now I did change the caliper last year for a used one as my then current one had issues where the bolts holding it onto the caliper bracket had rounded out and where so tight it was impossible to get them off. It looks like it might be another trip to the scrap yard to get another caliper, once I ascertain its the caliper that is at fault or whether the brake hose needs to be replaced because its collapsed inside.

exec likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Seized piston or a collapsed flexi hose will exhibit those behaviours. if you can get help from a colleague to pump the brake pedal whilst you with your finger tip are feeling for any bulging sensation along the entire length of the flexi. if you get any bulging sensation the pipe is screwed.

Harvey likes this.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'me hoping its just a stuck caliper as those are so easy to change I could do it in my sleep. I have a feeling if the hose is collapsed then I will have a hard time with rusty fastners. Something I doubt you will ever suffer with @Ichiban lol. I remember Japfest 2. "If I have a rusty bolt in my engine bay, I'll just change it"

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have had my share of rust nuts but be very careful on brake line don't use any 10mm open end spanner .. get a proper one for the job like this. Halfords Professional Flare Spanner

470120?$imageMainRetina$.

Drown the nut in wd40 or molyslip first tighten then loosen more wd40 then gently try to loosen it . If that does move stop using the open end spanner get a mole grip thin nose type preferably one with good teeth,get it flush on the nut and turn. Try not to mangle the corners of the nut take your time.

You will see magic.

DeviateDefiant and Harvey like this.
  5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lol Rusty bolts, and you don't mix CJ.

I've got a couple of those brake line spanners in my toolbox already though and I know about the nuts on the brake lines, its not really those that I think I will have problems with. Its more the single 10mm nut that holds the brake pipe to the knuckle, I suspect it will shear off.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

looks like a handy tool like that.

Oh and I know about full on turn the air blue swearing mode. I learned a lot from being in the building trade. Its pretty much F*** and c*** every other word and sometimes consecutively. I really felt like throwing the wheel brace as well tonight when I discovered that the caliper was sticking after all the work that has gone into it and also the other problems with the ABS and rust holes and leaking fuel lines.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You can get cheaper versions of that bolt measuring tool. Swearing does help with rust bolts if you plead with them to play nicely they don't budge. :Rant:battle on mate these things are there to test you, If you get a new second hand calliper check the piston on and around the seal area and look of rust on the shiny side the hollow side will be rusted that not important . Its the business end of the piston which need needs to be smooth otherwise that will be kaput again.

6093d1384192682-front-brake-caliper-seized-piston-gut_schlecht.

Harvey likes this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tell me about it CJ, This one was working fine when I took it off 6 months ago or more. but I guess as with most things, age gets to them, the other side was replaced with one from an automatic car about the same time, and that's perfectly fine and if anything, in slight better condition. We shall see if its the pipe or caliper at the weekend.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You don't by any chance put a thick coating of grease around the pistons and seal area do ya that the worst thing anyone can do? That accelerates the pistons condition really quickly for the worse.

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No mate, the only bits that see copper grease I'd the edges of the pads where they go into the shim. Silicone lube on the slide pins, nothing near the piston.

Nels and Ichiban like this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is perfect.