General more power !

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by stuscrv, Saturday 23rd Jan, 2016.

1. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Was reading about a new members ride, a Del Sol, must say I don't know much about them. However I looked them up and was surprised to see the top of the range model puts out a healthy 160 BHP. Now that's from the 1.6 v tec. Now mines a 20 L VTEC ( nearly ) but puts out only 128 BHP. I was wondering if its the same engine and if so would it be possible to tweek my engine as and extra 30 HP is greatly needed.

2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I think, and by no means an expert in this, that the b20b/b20z had low compression ratios and non VTEC heads. So in terms of adding power nothing much you can do without making a really cool Frankenstein engine with your block and something like the heads of a b18c. Not cheap, and you'd need a good motor builder and tuner, but if done right you could have a substantial amount of HP. Not sure about the CR-V transmission and rear end holding up under the kind of strain a motor like that would put on it.

3. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Thanks, yes of course your right, don't know where I got the VTEC idea from but it was very late last night and I'd been sampling a litre of red wine which was on offer ( 50 p ! ) I know there's more to it than changing the air filter and adding a boy racer exhaust. Don't get me wrong I love my old shed but I can't work out how its really quite lively off the line and pulls like a train say between 3rd and 4th gear but is rubbish in 5th. So bad in fact it runs out of puff at legal m/way speeds so I have to change back to 5th ( only kidding ) 4th to get to the top of hills !
    I guess its down to the gearing I just hate it at 70, it feels like your doing 30 in second like its waiting to change up. She's getting on now so I don't think trying to tune her is financially viable, ie a sport exhaust is more than I paid for her. I know they tweeked the late 1st Generation s sorry first gen. With different induction and higher lift cam etc but squeezed a useful extra 20 BHP from the same lump.
    I think I'll look around next year for a later executive 1st Generation. ( I prefers the shape ) and go down the american way of tuning - - - - how do we make this faster ? Easy, put a bigger engine in it.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Or get a diesel...

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Your joking right ? Having owned a few hot yanks you just can't beat the raw power of petrol.
    I had a 5 series BMW d and yes its an amasing machine but no thanks I'm definitely a petrol head !

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    OK my diesel comment was (slightly) tongue in cheek, but aren't those 160bhp 1.6 versions you mentioned diesel, not VTEC?

And Yank engines are terrible!

7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Not sure but I doubt it. I've never seen an oil burner in a 80s sports car.
    There's NOTHING in this world like a V8 clever engineering using a basic sixty year old design few tweeks here n there Boom corvette s. etc supercar chasers for Honda money lol

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Apologies... I read your opening post too quickly and assumed you were talking about the latest Honda diesel 1.6 160bhp offerings!

No, I still don't rate Yank V8 motors... the stock BHP/litre figures and consumption are appalling. Additionally having such a heavy engine up front wrecks the general handling, which is why yank supercars are a joke - the reliance upon cart-spring rear suspension makes this even worse, you end up with a car that somehow manages to both over-steer and under-steer! I do like the sound though...

9. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I have to admit that a big lump of an American V8 in a straight line is something to experience. As a teenager I had a mate that put a 351 Cleavland, high lift cam and a high rise dual 4bbr carb intake into a early 80's mustang it was a terrifying ride till he torqued the frame badly enough to keep one front tire off the ground by pulling wheelies. The joys of 10in Hoosiers and a 3:83 rear end with a Ford-Rubbermaid frame. American muscle cheap to buy, huge amounts of torque, easy to tune and add performance. In saying that I do agree the amount of BHP vs displacement is appalling, and corners at speed are highly questionable.

But enough about that, the 1st Generation CR-V I owned (Jap import '96) was a 4speed auto, and I found motorway speeds were fine without over revving especially when the torque converter would lock. Baring extensive changes the only thing to add or claw back performance really would be tune up parts, wires/cap/rotor/plugs/air-filter and so on, also check the tappets if memory serves the exhaust valves on the B20 like to recede over time. At least in the automatic, it did everything I asked of it in terms of forestry roads, mud, sand and so on, not necessarily fast but probably the second favorite Honda I've owned. Certainly was well designed for its niche.

Zebster likes this.
  10. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Horses for courses my friend, if you type in Google 1973 Buick le-sabre about half way down in the middle you will see my old car, umd 71l a green one ! Notice the camera in the screen where it was hired out by top gear and driven by James may. Yes of course they took the pee, saying how bad they are at going round corners and they compared it with a 5 series BMW ! A bit unfare I think but if you think we hadn't long stopped making the morris minor and we offered a 3rd Generation cortina or marina in competition there's no comparison. It had electronic ignition, ran on 92 RON unleaded and had a cat. No contest! I know what I'd rather be seen in. By the way Every year corvettes win their class and push the big boys in the Le man 24 ! All our offerings usually breakdown lol

legend-ary likes this.