Engine & Gearbox More problems - squealing noise from engine bay

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by exec, Saturday 24th Sep, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yet more problems...:Messed: :Frown:

So after driving around for probably around 1-30mins, as I was driving home I noticed a high pitch squealing noise, so when I parked up and had a look at engine bay it seemed to be coming from the left side but not 100% sure, what could this sound be? It doesn't seem to be any of the belts, all I can think of is the water pump. (The timing belt was last done around 2009 I think at 70k, so it is due.)

Any help appreciated. Cheers.

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Do you have an automotive stethoscope (or a long screwdriver held to your ear) you can try and pinpoint the source with that? (NB be careful when leaning into to a running engine obviously with loose clothes etc near the belts)

I've got a wireless Chassis Ear but use a screwdriver to probe in as in the example vid

It sounds very close to the distributor, also the clutch is just below there too.

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers Andy, I have one of those stethoscopes so I will give that a go.

I've got a feeling it might be the release bearing since I changed the clutch recently and the noise is coming from that region and looking at few youtube videos others have had similar noise, albeit different solutions to it.

e.g.

Edit: comments in video talking about slave cylinder.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Water pump is on the front side (nearside) of the engine.

As you suspect could be thrust bearing or God forbid a gearbox bearing.

Does the noise go away if you dip the clutch ?

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Oh god hope its not a gearbox bearing! I had a look at it yesterday, the stethoscope wasn't conclusive but the sound was resonating more from the gearbox. Also when I dip the clutch, even slightly like 1cm the noise goes away, including in newutral and then comes back after like 20 seconds after I release the clutch. Does that suggest its the release bearing?

Also to add to my woes, I was greeted by this yesterday.

WP_20160925_18_35_23_Pro. WP_20160925_18_35_29_Pro.

Nice 3 deep scratches and a dent on the wing. Having sweet all luck with the car this year, one thing after another.

My dads offered me his car, so if the gearbox is on its way out then it might be finally time to retire the old girl. :Sobbing:

6. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    If the sound goes away when you engage the clutch, then it should be the clutch release bearing

EDIT: When installing the new clutch did it not also get a new release bearing?

EDIT: Sad to see those scratches and the dent on your car, some people just don't get it.....

exec likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Yep it had new release bearing fitted as part of the kit. I also think it might the clutch slave, where the fork is on other cars this can cause create same type of squealing, and the slave cylinder on the fork is shaking really badly, it never used to before the clutch change!

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    How does the clutch pedal "feel" ?

Maybe there's air in the clutch line.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The clutch pedal feels normal, as does the operation of the clutch (touchwood), it's just squealing in idle and when driving in gear.

I phoned the garage up yesterday and it looks like they ain't going to be much helpful, claiming the part might be defective, and that their mechanic fitted everything properly etc.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I should have just taken it here: Pit Start - Self Service and done the job myself! Forgot about that place.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So I took a further look today and I have pinpointed where the noise is coming from. It's on the fork on slave cylinder (see pic below). It is vibrating/shaking when not engaged, if I hold it or put pressure manually by hand on the fork on that pin are a bit the noise stops. But i'm not sure whats causing it to shake a lot, it doesn't shake immediately when starting from cold, but after a minuet or two it starts. I may try putting grease in places to see if it helps.

Can anyone please check if theirs shakes too?

fork.PNG

11. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    Where is it placed in the engine bay? Will check tomorrow morning.

exec likes this.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thanks man.

It is located on the right side front, at the bottom where battery is on the gearbox, This image isn't clear as its blocked by the pipe, but its underneath on the gearbox.
    vlcsnap-2016-09-30-22h07m19s169.

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They probably didnt put anti squeal on the tip of the pushrod. This is to stop it squealing and vibrating. I would check to see if the rod has any grease on it or not.

exec likes this.
  14. Fiskekutteren Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark Roskilde
    @exec Mine do not shake...

exec likes this.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Thanks for checking @Fiskekutteren so I guess something is wrong on mine...

@Nighthawk I checked the rod bit from slave cylinder that connects to the fork, there was no grease under the rubber boot, i've ordered some moly grease and will give that a go but not confident it will resolve the problem as the clutch fork is shaking which is causing it to make the noise, why that is I can't work out.

Nighthawk and Fiskekutteren like this.
  16. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom LAN3Y Leicester
    hope this fixes it, too nice to be retired

exec and Fiskekutteren like this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is really annoying @exec, both the dents and the squeaking.
    I had similar, but not the same where the clutch would creak when engaged and disengaged (which turns out to be a creaky clutch pedal assembly) However I also discovered my slave cylinder was leaking so had to change it.

in order to do that, the front engine mount has to be removed (which I think are 17mm bolts) and then the clutch slave can be accessed with the two 12mm nuts on the mount. However when you remove it, put copper grease on the end of the push rod, not under the boot. its the push rod that actuates the clutch fork, Honda ones though seem to have a plastic cap on them to prevent creaking where as after maket ones don't.

exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Cheers @Harvey for the tips, really helpful, I didn't know the motor mount has to be removed, hope its not on too tight. The moly grease I ordered arrived yesterday so hope to grease it up in the weekends.

Harvey likes this.
  19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

not a problem @exec, you will be able to undo the engine mounts using hand tools, I used my 1/2 ratchet and it came off no bother, though I have had them off before, If memory serves they where a little tight first time around. Also you do not want to over tighten them either as they go into aluminium and its easily stripped out.
    It is also a little easier to move the clutch slave cylinder around when you remove the 10mm nut ontop of the gearbox that holds the end of the flexi hose where it joins to the solid pipe. However I can't see the slave cylinder causing the creaking, squealing noise to be honest. it sounds like the clutch release bearing, but its hard to tell from a video sometimes.

exec likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It's difficult to diagnose, the actual noise is coming from where the clutch fork is joining the slave cylinder pushrod, but the cause of this is the fork is shaking a lot when it shouldn't be, and the cause of that could be a few things including the release bearing itself. Greasing the pushrod is the only option I have really, other taking it to another shoddy garage and spending more money, which I won't be doing.

Fiskekutteren and Harvey like this.