General More questions...

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by moob, Sunday 29th Jun, 2014.

1. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    I'm going to try and consolidate all my gripes in here if possible!

1. Odd squeaking noise when driving appears to come from offside rear wheel, increases in frequency with speed and is there in gear or neutral. Wheel bearing?

2. Passenger courtesy light inoperable, fuse and bulb seem ok.

3. What are my options for getting an aux input?

4. Blown front speaker. Anyone know what dimension these are?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

moob likes this.
  3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Cheers mate, found that aux thing, seems expensive for what it is!
    Thought Haynes manual would've showed me the speaker spec, but it didn't.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In that case I would definitely check Lings. Maybe different years had different speaker sizes?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    1) Could be noise from brakes or stone shield scraping.

2) Check the switches on the doors, they need to earth correctly when doors are open for the courtesy lights to come on.

moob likes this.
  6. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    6.5 inch speakers according to lings.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one, I've got some Infinity 5002ix which I highly recommend. IIRC they make a 6.5 inch version called the 6502ix.
    You will also need a speaker lead adaptor if you go for aftermarket speakers, take a look at my DIY on the 6th Generation section of the site or click on my speaker from my signature for further details.

moob likes this.
  8. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Cheers, I'll look into that.

9. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Ok, so the noise is down to corrosion on the rear discs, should have guessed as I thought they looked shot when I viewed the car.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  10. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Guys tell me if updates bore the arsenal off you and I'll give it a rest!

Anyhoo, been trying to get car mats and it turns out there is a difference between the 7th Generation - the earlier,models like mine don't have a centre console and I think for that reason have an extra mat - Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda

Whereas models from 2003 on had a centre console introduced, but most resellers are unaware of this - Honda Civic Car Mats by SCM

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    don't have a center console ?? It should have one get a picture of this fella?

12. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Yeah the earlier models didn't have what is known as a cubby hole console between the passenger and driver. I'll pop a pic up when I get th chance.

13. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Had my air con recharged at Kwikfit 3 days ago. It lasted 20 mins before it was blowing warm again - so I took it back and they tried again only for the same result 2 hours later.

Took it back in today to get my refund in line with their policy
    "Recharge or No Charge
    Let Kwik Fit recharge your Air Con while-u-wait. We will replace and recharge lubricant and refrigerant levels in line with your manufacturer’s recommendation. If we cannot improve the coolest vent temperature from your car by more than 10% when measured in degrees Celsius - then you pay nothing at all.*

If you have pre-paid by booking your appointment online, we will arrange for your credit or debit card to be refunded.

* Please note if the ambient temperature around the car is less than 9 degrees Celsius it may affect the results of the AirCon recharge test results. In these circumstances, it is at the managers discretion whether to offer a refund with results less than 10%."

They got an 'expert' to look at my rad and said it was leaking, quoted my over £200 for it supplied and fitted which they graciously reduced by removing the 'diagnostic' (which consisted of the bloke shining a torch into the rad and seeing the coolant leak) and took the price down to £186. Thought that still seemed dear for a radiator - so said I'd shop around but could I still have my refund - which they refused on the basis they diagnosed a fault - it says nothing about that in their T&Cs.

I'm about to call their head office now - pain in the ass.

Oh, got new discs/pads done at the rear yesterday.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The offer is to improve your air con, not fix it. If it had a leak somewhere, you won't have had any gas in it before you went to KW. Therefore there is nothing for them to improve upon in the first place.

Sounds perfectly fair that no refund is issued as it's not their fault you have a broken A/C system.

15. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Of course there is something to improve upon. If the air con wasn't blowing cold air thereby reducing the temperature of the cabin (see their quote) then it isn't working and the recharge is unsuccessful. "If we cannot improve the coolest vent temperature from your car by more than 10% when measured in degrees Celsius - then you pay nothing at all."

Clearly they didn't achieve this.

My air con system is mainly sound, as the compressor, pipework etc is intact and pressurised - the radiator is knackered, which is something they could have looked at before they plugged in their fancy A/C machine.

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

In my experience, KF vary vastly from depot to depot and month to month. They have a fast staff turnover.
    They sometimes try their hardest not to honour 'guarantees' and need a little 'persuasion'.
    That said, it's in writing, so a refund is due.

moob likes this.
  17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    1. Sounds like a sticky caliper, but have it all checked before spending a fortune on replacement parts.

2. Have a look at the switch in the door shut, you may find it is simply stuck closed.

3. If you have a look HERE you should be able to use the CD Changer port to do what you want.

4. no idea, sorry

moob likes this.
  18. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    @PeteMM, found that 1 was corroded discs. Now replaced.

Will check your suggestions. Cheers.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  19. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

jee-whizz do people actually use kwik fit?

there are horror stories galore over here re their presence ... i generally laugh when i pass these depots as i have NEVER seen sensible pricing on anything and most employees here you would not let anywhere near your car. hateful place ... just my opinion

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I actually love Kwik-Fit for tyre work and tracking, wouldn't let them near my car for anything else mind - but when you teach a monkey to do a trick, and make him do it 10+ times a day, the monkey actually gets quite good at it :Laughing: