Body, Paint & Styling More rust holes!

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Monday 2nd May, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Things are starting to look bad for my old girl.

Yet again found another hole where there shouldn't be one. This time by the passenger side bonnet hinge.

What I would love to know is does this area lead directly into the cabin at this point or into the scuttle area underneath the plastic cover. It goes pretty deep, but didn't see or feel any sound deadening in the area. 20160502_172608. It's probably going to be rather difficult to weld in that area. So I think the only solution to prevent any further water ingress is to plug it with silicone and hope it doesn't get any worse. It'd not an ideal repair mind but I recon it would still be pretty pricey at the moment when I don't have a good cash flow.

2. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Oh damn that sucks, feel for you man :Frown:

Unlikely to be a drain hole made larger by corrosion?

If you can get in there and rid it of loose dirt/rust and apply a coat of corrosion inhibiting gubbins that may prevent further degradation. Not sure which product to recommend, i get confused by all the marketing hype...

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got some kurust, so could try that, though I'd have to wait until it stops raining first. Its deffo not a drain hole mate, its supposed to be solid in that area. When I get chance I might as well take the jet wash to that area to try and get rid of the crud that builds up there. Unfortunatly its right by the bonnet hinge and its where junk builds up and causes corrosion because that area is always wet. Apply some kurust. seal the hole with silicone for now and then apply some paint to protect whats left. Think that's the best bet. Then when funds become more prevalent get a body shop to look at it.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @Harvey - mate do not, DO NOT use silicont. You will trap the existing moisture into the cavity forcing it to go one way...deeper

exec and BB Baboonface like this.
  5. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Keeping it at bay until there are funds for a pro fix sounds like the ticket.
    Glad of some input from the HK community on this, the Civic has some problems too :Frown:

6. Nighthawk Guest

Sealing the moisture into a tight spot with silicone will not keep it at bay unfortunately. It will speed it up if you even got it to stick

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nighthawk, that's the dilemma I facw though mate, granted it's not a proper fix, but then again if that hole leads into the scuttle that's not so bad, but if it leads into the cabin, then that's water getting in to the cabin and not something I want either.

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is some good news though. I've just stuck a torch in the scuttle, through the access panel and the hole leads directly into the scuttle area, so I could either file down the rust and leave it, or get a mate to tag it with a welder.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

File it down if you can and get yr mate to tag weld it - that would be your best option. Come summer, can have a proper look at it when you don't need to worry about as much moisture in the air.

Harvey likes this.
  10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Another option is to get it good and dry, remove as much rust as possible, rust converter product and fiberglass. Would be my second choice if you can't get it welded due to location.

Harvey and BB Baboonface like this.
  11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Sorry to see that Harvey, rust is annoying. I think I should start cleaning my car up probably, there is a lot of muddy dirt around bonney and the boot area too.

I would not have thought that would go into interior, but possibly any wiring etc behind the dash?

Harvey likes this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Nighthawk Been to me mates tonight, he can't do it, but have another lad who can, probably a good couple of hours work. He laughed when I showed him "is that it, your getting all upset about that, I'd just leave it" he said with a laugh, I was like "nah, don't like holes in my car that should be there"

couple of weeks get that fixed and I'll be happy.

@exec after poking at it mate, it doesn't go into the area behind the dash, just goes into the scuttle, so its no big deal at the moment, no wires to mess with. I would clean your gutters out if I where you, otherwise you might end up in the same situation as me.