Body, Paint & Styling More Rust :(

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Monday 15th Jun, 2015.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It looks like cancer is setting in to my lovely Accord once more, this time in a different place.
    The rust is now biting at the rear jacking point, or rather just in front of it. I have my motor booked in to the car doctor ( Aka "The Garage" - yes that is the name of the workshop) to have it repaired. I only found this out about a week ago when I went to change the oil and noticed that the jacking point was bent and the cill in front of it was bent, poked at it a little bit and found it was somewhat crunchy and soft.
    Hopefully the repair won't be too much, I'm guessing at around £50 - £60, she is also going to need a new front downpipe as well as the flexi has come appart, though its not loud at the moment, I anticipate that it won't be long before it is.

**Edit**

having stuck my head under the car even further, seems thats actually far worse than what I first thought. Seems that quite abit of the back of the cill around the jacking point has gone and will need repairing, meaining the plastic cill trim has to come off. So much for the cheaper job, its gonna need abit of work.

Last edited: Monday 15th Jun, 2015
  2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear this @Harvey

Hopefully you've caught it in time before it's spread any more.

Harvey likes this.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks @John Dickson, hopefully I have. for the age of the car its pretty solid underneath appart from a couple of patches, this being one of them. However, wierdly the Astra that I used to have, rust wise, was alot better than the Accord, that only had issues with the rear arches, nothing like the cills or anything.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear that @Harvey, hopefully it ends up being a reasonable cost come fix time.

Harvey likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The dreaded metal worm, that the one thing I really hate about car. Why can't Honda make all cars like the NSX and make them out of aluminum job done.

Hope the fix is not too bad @Harvey

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah, it would be nice but aluminium costs more however I bet it won't be long before we see more carbon fibre parts in regular road cars. And I don't mean the likes of supercars and high end cars. I'm talking cars available that Joe Public can buy on a normal basis, like Honda Civic/Accord, Vauxhall, Ford and the likes . I don't mean fancy trim either integral to the chassis etc.

7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I was shocked at how much rust my old 04 reg Mazda 3 had

Harvey likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When I was looking for a Mazda 6 years back, there were some shockingly bad examples about then and they weren't even that old.

Harvey likes this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I presume they don't underseal mazda very well then?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No mate its the old scrap metal form Ford goes use goes into building Mazda's

John Dickson likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mind you Ford have a reputation for their cars falling to bits, and have done for a long time. Ford's are merely and appliance, hatefull things, even the 13 plate Transit I drive for work is a load of excrament.
    I was always under the impression Mazda are not a bad car, but better than Ford and on par with Vauxhall and Peugeot/Citreon vehicles.

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They don't like water hence why Ford stands for ****** On Rainy Days. :gotcha:

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mazda's are just recycled Ford after all what do you expect.
    :Rolf::Rolf:

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same applies to old Jaguar's both under British Leyland ownership and Ford ownership. Besides i thought it also stood for Found On Roadside Dead, and F***ed Or Repaired Daily.

John Dickson likes this.
  15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It can be down to the diligence (or lack of) used by the mechanics when they jack them up.

Some take the time to line the feet on the lifts up properly with the jacking points, some just throw the feet under in roughly the right place which ends up bending the jacking points and parting the metal and the rust has an easy time of it then.

I know when I had a Nissan some mechanics at various main dealers were always wrecking the jacking points by not lining the feet up properly. Yes the car can still be lifted but eventually it kills the cills.

I've never been aware of this happening with Honda.

Harvey likes this.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like you said, it could have been caused by mechanics past not jacking the car up properly. It looks like what I saw last night as a massive hole in the back of the cill, might actually be a drainage hole, if anyone can confirm? Either way the cill is creased and cracked and rusty and it needs fixing.
    However as you mentioned the lift thing, that exact thing happened on my step dads Golf, he had two tyres fitted and the lift punched two big holes in the cills (yes plural, both sides) and he didnt find out until MOT time that it had happend, didnt have a leg to stand on either as couldn't prove it.