Electrical & Lights MOT fail for incorrect headlamp???

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Eltax91, Thursday 23rd Apr, 2015.

1. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys

Long story, but to cut it short, a guy in an NCP car park scraped my car, and offered to pay for the damage. He scraped my bumper and also the headlight started misting up from condensation soon after, indicating it was cracked. Anyway, 'cos I'm a nice guy and to save him some cash and avoid insurance, I got a smart repair on the bumper and ordered a new headlamp and fitted it myself. The headlamp was from eBay, but from a large commercial seller, whom I gave my reg plate to in order to check it was the right part.

However, Mr MOT man, immediately upon getting in my car today, tells me I have a headlamp that is for a LHD car, as the beam pattern on the OSF headlamp is "flicking" the wrong way. I wondered why I had such a good view at night! :Grin:

So, before I go jumping all over the supplier (it's a few months ago so not expecting any joy), does anyone have specific knowledge about the head lamps please? Is there an adjuster arm on them to "switch" them? Or not? I can't find anything, not even on the old one I removed. Mine is a 2008 Tourer, so last of the Gen7

Thankfully the MOT man has let me fit a halfords beam deflector kit and listed it as an advisory after failing it initially.

Any help much appreciated!!

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm not sure on the question itself regarding "swapping parts over" to get the beam pattern correct, however I do know that a lot of sellers on eBay sell across Europe with the exact same headlights which are obviously geared towards LHD.

I would personally return them, source some more after questioning a seller to be sure they're RHD, thus taking the experimental side out of it and saving mucking about.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    :whathesaid:

4. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's been 6 months since I bought the lamp. I'm highly doubting I will get any joy from the supplier. Especially as they can hide behind ebay after this long.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Damn, that is pretty unfortunate - though I do still maintain that the simplest solution is a new, correct, headlight housing. You won't quite recover all the cost, but you could sell your current housing as nearly-new on eBay with a European postage option (something like Parcel Monkey will help you figure the costs).

6. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Alas you are probably right. And this is the route I will will have to go down if it comes to it. I'd hoped there was something silly like an adjuster, I've heard that's often done by manufacturers to reduce production/ tooling costs.

I think the dealer will want a fair whack for a light cluster. Anywhere else to get them from? Anyone know who makes them for honda under license?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

My knowledge is a little limited on this, but I watch the American side of the scene a lot (Acura TSX), they like to buy our Facelift headlights as they have the blue tinted corners and clear indicators. Occasionally someone screws up and buys an RHD housing and has to then buy an LHD instead .

The OEM housings are made by Stanley and cost a few hundred, I would suggest buying the Depo aftermarkets, they're normally £90 on eBay at any given time, just ensure you message the seller first and confirm they are RHD housings.

8. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks so much for your advice! Appreciate it.

My car is an EX tourer. 2008. I have an adjuster in the cabin for height '0, 1, 2, 3'. Does that mean I have halogen rather than xenon?

9. Nighthawk Guest

Can you not get one from a scrapyard?

Thats the headlight adjustment up and down you have found there, for adjusting the beam when your car is laden at the back, therefore raising the front up. Headlights are designed to "flick" onto the side of the road to illuminate road signs etc. If you have a LHD headunit on a RHD car, it will angle up in the middle of the road and blind oncoming units.

If it was my car, I would probably just get a new unit from a scrapyard

10. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry yeh. I know what it means by flick and blinding other users vs the level height adjust.

I've read threads (for other cars) that suggest there is often a level in the light unit to flip the pattern. People use it when they travel to Europe from the UK for example.

I also saw some threads on here suggesting how to figure out which headlamp type you have, depends on whether you have the height adjuster for when you have a heavy load.

As for a scrappy. How many facelift cars will have made it to the scrappy? These cars are too reliable non? I need a face lifted lamp as the indicator bulb changed from Orange lens to clear lens with orange bulb.

11. Nighthawk Guest

Its a 2008 tourer, facelift came out 2006 if memory serves me correct, so in 9 years, alot of those cars would have been dismantled for whatever reason, or written off by insurance companies. Not saying you would get one for sure, but no harm in looking around and seeing.

Best of luck however
    - - - Updated - - -
    A quick look on ebay shows replacement units for under £100 if you wanted a new, non OEM part

12. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do you have a link??

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There will definitely be lots for breaking, collision damage, high-mileage ex-fleet etc.

Only the '03-04 Exec 7th Gens have Xenon headlights, you definitely have halogens.

14. Nighthawk Guest

Here is a nearside one which took around 30 seconds to find. I am sure you could find the correct offside one if you do some searching

15. Eltax91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got that one in my watch list and have asked if its available I'm O/S as well. Only one other potential face lifted one that I can see on ebay.... I am using my phone currently mind

16. Nighthawk Guest

Use those scrapyard search sites, found a bonnet for a Civic within 24 hours on there (never bought it, but still found it)
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just had a quick look, the headlight unit is the same part number on the saloon and estate facelift, so that should help you find a part a bit easier