Suspension, Steering and Brakes MOT fail...??

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordMavman, Tuesday 21st Apr, 2015.

1. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Evening all

So my 7th Generation went in for her MOT today...and failed... on the following items:

001 Nearside front (track rod) steering retaining device missing [2.2.C.1g] aka split pin!!
    002 Offside - the rest is the same as above

I have photographic evidence of this for both sides. As I had both track rod end dust covers replaced recently, this is clearly the reason why - but are these failures justified? I imagine they are, given the specific failure codes, I totally get the safety implications, and can't see why this would be falsely reported but I need to be 100% sure of my facts before I have any potentially difficult conversations.

Thoughts welcomed... thanks all..

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    When the dust covers were replaced, it sounds like the mechanic didn't bother to replace the split pins. This seems a reasonable reason for MOT failure. I'm unsure why, but do you believe otherwise? Or have I misunderstood?

3. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, that's a good question.. in a word I don't, however the garage its been at today said they had to drill a hole in each of the bolts in order to fit the said split pin. As this bolt is original to the car, if its meant to have a split pin through it, why wasn't this hole already pre-drilled into the bolt for the pin to be placed through? Just trying to work through this logically - trust you can see my thought process....

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    OK, I think I understand. When the bolt is tightened, the castellations on the nut are meant to be aligned with the existing hole so the split pin can be inserted. It sounds like this wasn't done properly, so the pin was left out. Drilling ANOTHER hole is an odd solution... personally, I would have tightened to bolt a fraction more, in order to get enough alignment with the existing hole to fit the split pin. In fact, i don't like the idea of weakening the threaded part by drilling another hole though it!

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't either, but then it is a fairly small one I guess. And as this work has been carried out by Honda themselves, I would hope they know what they're doing, especially given the amount I was charged for it...:crazyeyes:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Probably what happened is when the last mechanic worked on your car the split pins broke off and the middle part of the split pins stuck in the bolt, hence those bits had to be drilled off.

Zebster likes this.
  7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've just replaced my track rod end. The replacement didn't have the option for a split pin, It used a nyloc nut instead. These are just as safe, The split pin is basically to stop the nut falling off if it comes loose meaning you would loose steering ability on that wheel. If there is a hole in the thread for a split pin its a 2min job to fit a new one, if not then it could be a nyloc nut should be fitted which has a nylon insert to prevent the nut from falling off. either way its not a major fail just a minor correction so shouldn't be expensive.

Cheers
    Tony

8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    My issue with nyloc nuts on suspension parts is that when you come to remove them, after rust has set in, not only are you struggling against breaking the rust hold, you are struggling against the nylon as well.