Off-Topic MOT Failed, then passed :S

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Harvey, Wednesday 2nd Sep, 2015.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had abit of a wierd one today. My Faithfull 6th Generation Accord was due for its annual MOT today.
    After waiting hours ( I left it at The Garage while I went to work) and hearing nothing and getting anxious, I always do when its MOT day, I gave them a call.
    The car had failed its MOT on ..... a split pin missing from the N/S upper balljoint.

That was it, no advisories, nothing else wrong. After that being remedied the car was passed with a clean bill of mechanical health!

That is all, just another year of happy motoring with a clean fresh ticket.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Missing split pins or nuts are a fail, so they handled that as they should have done, failed it, replaced missing pin, re-test and pass.

So main thing is there were no other issues and it did pass :Grin:

Harvey likes this.
  3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yep, they sure did. I'm not having a go because it failed, I missed it on my own inspection of the car and they picked up on it.

I'm glad it failed and was fixed, just goes to show that with car and attention a car can easily pass, even after 15 years. Admittedly it took a 20p pin to fail due to corrosion etc, but that's not bad really.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hopefully the retest was free?

Harvey likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A 15 year old, and only a split pin that was missing. Well, that's pretty darn good.
    How many other cars of that age can have that sais about them? :gohonda:

Chunkylover53, legend-ary and Harvey like this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes, the retest was free mate.
    Not many cars at 15 years old would sail through an MOT after having the minor thing of just a missing split pin replaced.

Zebster likes this.
  7. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    What is an MOT failure? :lol:

Zebster and Harvey like this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Well done, the two words MOT fail doesn't register in Honda owners vocabulary :dodgydeal:

9. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I just remembered mine is due end of this month!! :brickwall: I have EML on because of the fualty 02 sensor, I think I might just clear the code for the MOT and hope it passes the emissions. :Laughing:

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If its got a dodgy lambda sensor , as soon as the car us up to temp it will light the MIL and the car will fail, so even if you reset the ECU, it will still come on. I assume said sensor was not a compatible one (branded ), or a cheap aftermarket item?

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    It seems to go off for a few hours, i've cleared it a few times so i'm thinking if I clear it just before MOT I might be fine :Whistle: Not sure why its failed, it's an original OEM part, it worked for a few months before the EML came on.

13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wierd, what codes does it set? just that its out of tollerence, could even be a bad connection that causes it?

exec likes this.
  14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If it's the secondary lambda sensor, then it might be the cat.

exec likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could be a number of things, slight vacuum leak, exhaust leak before the primary O2 sensor. All of which could through the fuel trims out over a period of time.
    Could the O2 sensor itself.

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The code was P0420 IIRC. Which is o2 sensor related, it's the one on the cat.

Got no idea what it is as you say it could be a number of things, the cat that was fitted is a cheap and nasty one so probably doesn't work very well, there is also a leak somewhere, as on acceleration it makes a very audible whisp noise, almost sounds like a turbo spooling up, but I have checked for leaks even went to kwik fit so I could check underneath and couldn't find any leaks.

Sick of spending money on exhausts, this is the second set in 4-5 years of ownership and i've spent £600 in total. Hopefully I might escape the MOT. :whip:

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It looks like a secondary lambda issue... OBD II Fault Codes p0420

This is a common problem after decatting, so a poor cat might cause the same issue? If so, there is a cure... Look up 'cat foolers'/ spacer or similar wording on eBay to find something that will create an offset for the secondary sensor (which is usually only there to assess cat functioning). But you may still have an emissions problem at MOT time?

exec likes this.
  18. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

EH, what's a MOT ..?

Harvey likes this.