Exhaust System MoT failure !!!! Lambda sensor

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2007-2015)' started by Mike c, Saturday 23rd Mar, 2013.

1. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Took my wife's 2007 Jazz for its MOT today and it failed on the emissions. The MOT station I use races a Honda Type-R and is good with Honda engines. The tester indicated that it is probably due to the low mileage my wife does( around 6000 per year) all of which around town. He tried his best to achieve the desired result but could not . He advised that the Lambda sensor requires replacement.
    He has ordered one and will it on Monday. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.
    This is the first Honda owned by me that has failed its MOT.
    Regards
    Mike c

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not convinced by that to be honest. A faulty O2 sensor would bring the EML light on for a start.

6k a year is bread and butter for a Jazz, and mileage won't make a difference.

I'd take it down the motorway, keep the revs high and retest it.

3. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Frankie
    Appreciate your response, I must admit to being surprised at the failure and I accept what you recommend . The car has been standing for a couple of days as the wife won't drive in the white stuff. I started the car up this morning and drove it slowly to the MOT station due to there being 8 inches of snow in our area . My wife does not drive at any great speed and as mentioned does very short drives each day (less than 3 miles each way). To be fair to the tester he did run the car at very high revs for quite some time on a number of occasions in an attempt to bring the results within tolerances without success. I wish that I could have taken the car down the motorway before the test but it took me so long to dig the car out of the snow I had to take it straight there .
    Perhaps this is something to bear in mind for the next MOT.
    The new sensor should be fitted on Monday and hopefully this should resolve the problem.
    Thanks for your response
    Regards
    Mike c

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've recently had an MOT but the week before did a 400 mile journey. My emissions this year were only 1/3 of the levels they were last year. Italian tune ups do work well before an MOT.

Agree with Frankie, if the sensor is faulty it should bring up a fault code, or if you hook it up to an OBD reader you should be able to see the values it's reporting to see if it's on it's way out.

Were the emissions far over the test limit?

5. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The engine temperature was 80 degrees
    Fast idle test
    Lambda reading 1.05. (Limits 0.97 to 1.03)
    Second fast idle test
    Lambda 1.04 (same limits)
    The CO value was 0.01%
    Mike c

6. Ross Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Lambda sensor won't trigger the engine management light unless its completely dead. There are lots of things that can cause the post cat lambda ratio to be out. An air leak after the mass air flow sensor, a leak in the exhaust manifold gasket, a faulty or clogged fuel injector or the sensor itself not working properly.

Mileage makes no difference and sensors do fail. Check all of the air ducting between the air filter and the throttle body and check that the air flow meter and throttle position sensor wiring is properly attached. Changing the lambda sensor will be a waste of time and money if its something simple like a broken hose clip or loose multi-plug.

What was the HC reading compared to the test limits?

7. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The HC was 58PPM on the fast idle test ( limits are <=200PPM
    On the second fast idle the figure was 8 PPM
    Mike c

8. Ross Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Those hydrocarbon readings are nothing to worry about, although I'd expect them to be lower if all was perfectly in order. My 2002 Accord 1.8 VTEC read 5 parts per million on the fast idle after sitting in the garage for 8 months and on 8 month old fuel. Sounds like it needs to clear its throat.

As above, have a look at the intake pipework and replace the lambda sensor. Beware of which sensor they fit. If its a cheapo universal one, they don't tend to last too long. Also bear in mind that your Jazz has 2 Lambda sensors, 1 before the cat and another downstream of the cat. Did they log the real-time readings of the sensors on a diagnostic computer? If not, there's an element of hit and hope in replacing one of the sensors.

9. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Not sure about the real time readings, but knowing the guy I would expect that he would have done. As mentioned this guy races a Type-R and is really switched on with the Honda engines.
    Tomorrow will tell!
    Thanks for your comments and advice.
    Mike c

10. Ross Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm sure you'll have that piece of paper tomorrow Mike. Good luck with the re-test.

11. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

You was right Ross, today went well and the car flew through the retest ( thank goodness).
    The other half is happy again- RESULT!!!
    regards
    Mike c

Ichiban likes this.
  12. Ross Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent news Mike, very happy for you. I'm hoping my old Saab 900 Turbo will be the same tomorrow. She's in for some welding and MOT re-test tomorrow. Over the last few days I've replaced both headlamps, brake hoses, exhaust clamps and the nearside rear handbrake cable. The handbrake cable in particular is an epic task on the classic 900, necessitating removal of the rear bench, passenger seat, front seatbelt lower mounts, handbrake ratchet mechanism, the entire centre console, both kickplates and the rear half of the carpet, and that's before you even set eyes on the cable and spent the next 3 hours trying to coakse it out of the very snug securing eye. I've had my fill of cars this week, I tells ya!

The Accord, as always, has been faultless.

Last edited: Wednesday 27th Mar, 2013
  13. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Wow, that's a lot of work, makes my Lambda sensor look like small beer by comparison !
    All I had to do was hand over the money ! ( and convince my other half it was still a good decision to buy the Jazz) lol
    Mike c