Exhaust System MOT failure

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Tuesday 18th Nov, 2014.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    :Messed:

My 2.4 failed it's MOT, Lamda reading 1.04, limit is 0.97-1.03. Tried everything, cat cleaner, ran it for nearly an hour, put every electric on and it wouldn't budge. Other readings absolutely spot on. My man says it'll be the sensors, there's two one pre and one post Cat, Honda want the best part of £500 for the two :shock:

I'm going to cry.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take your car on the motorway and drive it in third gear higish revs for a few miles get the heat up no need for snake oil or new cats. Just do it then next day it will pass. Trust me.

Another case Exhaust System - MoT failure !!!! Lambda sensor

3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

It was run round for a good 30 mins, or should I say thrashed for a good 30 mins and then retested with the same results. How long should I take down the mway?

4. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    try changing the air filter and make sure there's no air leaks and breather pipes are all clear etc. in the pipe work to and from the air box.
    Cheers Pete

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take it to another MOT station you have been made to fail for some more work their way.

6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I'll have a look at the air filter and pipework but I don't think it's that old.

Full results:
    Temp 60°

Fast Idle
    RPM Actual 2572 Limit 2500-3000
    CO Actual 0.00% Limit 0.30
    HC Actual 23 ppm Limit 200
    Lambda Actual 1.05 Limit 0.97-1.03

Second gast idle
    RPM Actual 2690 Limit 2500-3000
    CO Actual 0.00% Limit 0.30
    HC Actual 28 ppm Limit 200
    Lambda Actual 1.04 Limit 0.97 - 1.03

The lad who looks after my car knows the garage well and he did say they tried and tried to get it through. I've only done about 1500m since the last MOT and apart from the odd 20 minute trip and a week in the lakes it's all been a few miles here and there.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Was the car roasting before the probe was put in?

get some BP ultimate in the car and go to another station mate, the lack of use of the car will not help the cat and the sensors they are junked up. How old is the fuel in your tank?

Old Cruiser likes this.
  8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I don't know how warm it was other than the 60° it says on the results. I didn't take the car, my mate took it so I don't know what really went on.

The fuel isn't that old and it's always run on Tesco Momentum99, I haven't used a standard fuel for years.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I fell for that marketing, I got an app that keeps detailed records of MPG and I usually add a little note after each fillup re performance and I noticed that standard Esso fuel was achieving higher MPG and seemed to be smoother.

Mind you I've never tried BP ultimate but its the best fuel and probably worth a shot considering that you're looking at over £500 otherwise.

Also try Cataclean - Civic had the same issue with emissions (CO) and with a full bottle combined with a half hour thrash the value fell from over 0.3 to 0.0x

10. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Would a lambda sensor failure not bring the engine light on? What about codes?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Stu look at the readings bud they are just over those sensors are fine you need to give the car a proper Caning. You have to do this don't be asking someone else to do it. You will be wasting money on parts which are not required but if you have money to burn then fill up get the car to me and I will smoke it.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry snake oils does w**k right foot floored does it.

13. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Don't worry, Italian tune-up tomorrow, that v-tech will be getting a dam good work out :Niceone:

14. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I read in the hand book somewhere that you need to what Ichy is suggesting for this or a similar problem, I think it's a case of burning the crud off!

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just to echo @Ichiban's advise to use BP Ultimate, it's the only UK fuel without ethanol. I would personally get a tank full and fix with fuel cleaner like Tunap as well.

Doubt there's anything wrong with your sensors bud, the readings are too close to normal. This is one of those scenarios where the car's just a bit gunked up from years of usage, there's likely nothing wrong but that alone is just pushing it very slightly out of the acceptable emissions range. Some fuel cleaner will help shift the crud, even if K24s rarely need it.

16. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I can't find anything in the handbook.

Esso Supreme is apparently ethanol-free in my area

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Last time I asked Esso Supreme is ethanol free in England but not Scotland. Must have been about a year ago.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My 7th Generation was switched to BPUP yesterday ran it really low and it now got the proper stuff. The 8th Generation was switched a month ago . My First gen was switched when I came back from Brands Hatch it had a fill up at Peterborough and then at Leeds and its now stored away for the winter.

The Lawnmower,strimmer,leaf blower all have been drained and ready for the same. I need to just go my motorcycle now.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yes apparently that is the case too, best get clarity from Esso customer services just to confirm the same.