General MOT Incoming, HIDs and Other Considerations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeviateDefiant, Sunday 22nd Dec, 2013.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    After being smacked yesterday just before Christmas with my insurance renewal, it's dawned on me that in 3 weeks my MOT is due. I've got to get my rear bushes/drop-links sorted (I believe, squeaky rear on speed bumps, haven't had her up yet to look). Last year's MOT had the 2 front anti-roll bar links replaced.

My dipped HIDs are currently sitting in the standard Halogen housing and no real effort made to hide away the modification. I've read before that it's just the spread pattern/height which is checked and that I could be alright. Can anyone shed some more light?

Here's where it gets a bit foggy. Last year's MOT (before I owned her) there was a fail for the front lamps position (+ the aim being too low), the position adjustment hasn't worked since I owned the car. It passed the day after but no records as to what they did to fix it on the invoice I have for it, I'm wondering if that problem will rear its head. Don't judge my poor abused car, but there's two pieces of polystyrene under each of my headlamps which could have been there "quick fix". On my Facelift frontend, the headlight washers also don't work/aren't wired up either but I've never really looked into it. The car does after all not have the OEM HID system they are designed for.

Brakes should be fine, see no reason emissions wouldn't pass (especially on pure petroleum 97 octane). Anything else I should be looking out for? Air bag light is on, and has been since I brought the car, that's been an advisory on the past 2 tests.

Although I've slowly been fixing up my girl, there's quite a bit I need to sort still. The question is what's going to be needed for the MOT? There's places I could travel to for an "easy pass" but I don't believe I'm going to get the opportunity.

Might as well do it by the books.

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Aftermarket HID are a fail i believe but it all depend on tester and how knowledgeable/strict he is.
    Air bag light is a fail now i believe but not 100% sure on it.On my Pug 307 i had air bag light on for 4 years and its been only advisory but think they changed that now to fail.
    Check all your bulbs are in working order,handbrake adjustment and obvious things like that.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can confirm that any warning lights that illuminate on your dashboard lead to MOT failure. My mate had the same issue on his ford KA so he removed the warning light that was on. The tester didn't notice so he passed.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I was under the impression that the testing rules had recently changed again, and that it was no longer a fail. Family members car passed 3 months ago with a warning light on (but she did know the tester well so I'm not sure). Anyone got more info?

On this one, I thought it depended on the light spread/position. I know that strictly speaking they need to be mounted with clear lenses and some other considerations, but all that is actually checked is the light produced itself? Again, need a bit more info from someone.

I've got one fog light out, do you know if that's a fail?

EDIT: Forgive my nativity, first MOT I'm putting the car through myself.

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If your fog light its not working then that will be fail for sure.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Right, well that's one thing that definitely needs sorting. Along with rear suspension bits.

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Brilliant, that's really helpful mate.

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

ABS light on will fail. Removing bulb won't help as a proper tester will check the light illuminates on ignition switch on.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've got to have a meet-up with CJ before too long so I might have to ask him kindly about bringing his HDS kit.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Aftermarket HID's are technically a fail. In a perfect world the tester will test the intensity of the beam to see if it is over a specified amount, I can't remember the amount or unit of measurement off the top of my head. This is to check if HID's or LED's are fitted (as they are brighter than the standard Halogen bulbs). If the brightness is over the specified amount then 2 things have to be present. Firstly you have to have headlight washers, which also work. This is an easy visual check and test of operation for the MOT tester. Secondly the car has to be fitted with an automatic headlight leveling device. This check can only be performed by unsettling the balance of the car, ie lifting one end of the car up to see if the automatic leveling device operates. Such a check is outside the remit of the MOT tester so the auto leveling device is assumed to be present and working. This is the technicality which gets you through the MOT test. But, and this is a big but, if the MOT tester notices the manual headlight leveling switch located on your dashboard then this will be a clear sign the leveling device is manual and the MOT tester must fail the car. But it is only an extremely vigilant tester who will notice this, as they clearly spend far more time working on german rubbish so will be less familiar with our Honda's dashboard layout.

Personally I've had 2 MOT's with my aftermarket HID and not got an advisory yet.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well I'd hope then that I will pass with the aftermarket HIDs, there's certainly no levelling system functioning, and my washers are from a Facelift Exec model so I don't even know if they could be plugged up to my existing harness.

I spoke with my Step-Mother this morning, she had her MOT 3 months ago with the air bag warning light on. The mechanic who did the pre-MOT check said the changes to the MOT for Air Bag warnings was recanted, and then the garage who did the MOT themselves did pass it. Not sure what to expect to be quite honest.

I'll be placing an order with HH straight after Christmas so I best get a list going of bits I need to patch up. Believe it's just a fog light and bushes/drop-links for the rear at the moment.

13. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine passed last week with after market HID's now. Third MOT that I've put it through with them and no advisories. Mine are mounted underneath though so on looking in the engine bay nothing obvious.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well together with Doc's feedback, I'll consider myself relatively safe with the HIDs. I didn't make an effort to hide them, the caps are grommeted with wires coming through but the ballasts themselves are tucked away.

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    My ballasts aren't even tucked away! lol They're clearly visible next to the headlight, no thanks to the previous owner who fitted them.

I'll re-position them when I get round to taking the bumper off (after the weather warms up).

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well, I had my car up to the diagnostic tools this afternoon. My air bag warning light is due to failure of the first and second right impact sensors (wing and pillar). Had a chat with Gareth at Holdcroft, £269 in total for both sensors. CJ's kindly sending over some diagrams so I can check the existing wiring to the sensors first before forking out on replacements. I might check my options for going second-hand. EDIT: £15 a pop on eBay, that's worth the gamble.

Then, driver's side fog light casing, bulbs replacements for both fog lights so they match. Rear anti-roll bar links and bushes. In terms of HIDs, I'm just going to hope for the best.

Was up at the garage earlier today, £30 for the test and they won't officially put it through if it does fail. 7 days to re-test if needed (and free). I skipped VAT on the diagnostics by saying I didn't need an invoice - I think I've found a garage I can work with.

EDIT: My MOT runs out on the 26th, I previously thought it was this week as that's exactly a year after the previous test date.

17. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Sounds like your definitely on the right path to getting it all sorted and you've bought yourself a few extra tinkering days. Personally I'd aim to have it tested in about 10 days, then you have a week to sort the bits out if it needs a retest. But it sounds like you've go it all in hand. :Thumbup:

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm hoping to get all the parts ordered start of next week and get a day of good weather :Smile: