General MOT tomorrow

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Sunday 7th Aug, 2016.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My car is due for MOT tomorrow, a month early as its really due on the 6th September, but I wanna have it ready for the Forge Action Day that @K24 CL9 GUY is organising a stand for.

She has developed a creak in the suspension about a week ago, but with it being close to MOT and me already possessing a drivers side upper control arm (which if it proves as being that, great) its also due to get welded before the MOT as I found some ruse that needed repair, which will get done.

hopefully she will pass without too much drama as she has had a load of new and used parts fitted over the last 12 months to keep her roadworthy.

2. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like tomorrow's list of jobs before the MOT just got bigger, thought I would get some of the built up mud from under the back drivers side arch and um my hand jus went through this! 20160807_171152.
    Let's just say not terribly impressed, but at least I don't think it's an MOT fail?

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Oh dear.

Harvey likes this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Ouch!

Harvey likes this.
  5. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry to hear that Harvey... I''m sure you will be able to sort her out. :Smile:

Harvey likes this.
  6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ime now expecting a couple of hundred pounds to get her through the MOT with the work that needs doing. I've asked the bank of dad if he can loan me some if needs be.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm sure he'll want to help out as the alternative is to call upon dad's taxi service. :Whistle:

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That one doesn't work so much these days, though had to run him to the hospital today for an eye appointment, though he did pay my fuel and bought breakfast, so not complaining. At least I aint like my other siblings who erm are more inclined to demand he buy then something.....
    At least I've asked him nice. And I let him use my pressure washer when he wants to clean his car, which I'll do for him for a change tomorrow and use my good shampoo.

Nels likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I believe its a fail if rust is within 30cm of a key structural part of the chassis if memory serves me correctly.

Harvey likes this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it does serve you correctly. Structural includes, shock, seatbelt and suspension mounting componants. I think in that respect I might be lucky, depends if they fail it as sharp edges or pescribed area, this is right on the edge where the inner arch meets the outer arch.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

Im glad something of mine still works correctly....

Sharp edges are normally those that could hurt a pedestrian such as body work damage etc. Rusty wheel arches shouldnt be a problem

Harvey likes this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully if they can do something with it great, I won't even mind if they damage the paint on the side, caused by the welding, but I could always paint over that myself, or get it done properly.

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well as to be expected, the car failed its MOT. Turns out the creaking noise from the front suspension, which I was gonna get sorted anyway was the lower balljoint giving up. However when I had the car on a jack I didn't feel any movement, perhaps because of the pressure of the spring and suspension forcing the balljoint together that I didn't feel it. That's gonna be replaced tomorrow. Also it seems the anti roll bar bushes are in need of replacement as well.

Of course though they picked up on the locations of rust I had asked them to weld up in the first place, which I think is gonna get done tomorrow when the ball joint comes in.

• Reason(s) for failure
      nearside front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings jacking point (6.1.B.2)
      offside front lower Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    • Advisory notice item(s)
      offside rear inner Body has slight corrosion wheel arch (6.1.B.2)
      nearside front Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
      offside front Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)

14. Nighthawk Guest

Sorry to hear about your car but thats still not too bad for a 16 year old. Hopefully you will be able to get it all repaired tomorrow and she will be back to full health again

Harvey likes this.
  15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah well, poop happens. In fact my own mum was surprised it failed due to how well I try and look after my car with work I do myself (where possible). Like you said though, its not bad for a 16 year old car, but with 12 months ticket on it, will be able to go to the Forge Action day meet that @K24 CL9 GUY is organising, which was why I got the MOT/ work done early, as it would be close to the date that the event is otherwise.

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Annoying but fixable. We've all had to 'take it on the chin' sometime or other.

Harvey likes this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup, certainly is. I dunno how the arch is gonna come out though, whether they damage the paint from welding, but will probably visit a bodyshop and get it redone and I'd like to get the front bumper redone as well, due to all the stone chips.

18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well, After a few days of chasing the garage, which to be fair is always busy and he's a good guy to be fair. I got my little baby back! Almost all of the repairs are done now, all I need to source to fully complete the list are the anti roll bar bushes. I know there was a scrap car up in the air to practice on in the scrappers, see if I am likely to snap anything.

But I am now £251 lighter :Frown: there where no other problems, all of the rust was repaired, and a ball joint was replaced, so at the end of the day it wasn't cheap but its safe and that's all that matters.

19. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Did the rust repair affect the paint?

20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

there are a couple of marks, but I don't think its that bad to be honest. Will see when I give the car a proper wash as its covered in dust at the moment.