Pre-Facelift Model moving from 7th Generation saloon to 8th Generation tourer this weekend!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by cheeky_chops, Monday 17th Dec, 2012.

1. cheeky_chops Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just sitting around yesterday clicking thru autotrader as you do and said to them missus "new car?" Showed her a high mileage 8th Generation, went and saw it, did a deal over the phone this morning. Easy!! :Wink:

Her existing 7th Generation is a 2003 2.4 exec and has 104000miles on it and is a wreck. She has done 70000miles in 7 years and isnt the most aware driver i have seen :Aghast: anyway we were offered £500 px for it! So it will be on ebay this weekend

We are picking up a dtec 2010 tourer with full honda service history and just run in at a measly 125,000 miles!! For £6700, it looks as good as new, bit of wear to drivers seat but saving over £6k compared to one with 40k is a no brainer, our 7th Generation has been mega reliable so hope it continues. When she and the kids have battered it over the next 5+ years and it has 200k it will be worth about the same as our 7th Generation, except i paid over £11k for that... Anyway, I can't see any issues to worry about except the DPF. Anyone else with higher mileage on a 8th Generation?!?

Quick question - is there a "for sale" section? Will stick the car up if anyone want a bargain 7th Generation!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice find - all those motorway miles will have done it no harm at all.

As long as they're not urban taxi miles :Aghast::Wink:

4. cheeky_chops Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ah, i don't think i have enough posts yet as i don't have permissions!

And no sayama, rear seats havent been sat in let alone covered in kebab!

5. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to AOC
    Enjoy your upgrade.

6. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Congratulations on your new car, the previous owner must have lived in the car, assuming it is just 2 years old now, that is still 1200 miles a week, every week!
    I have just clocked up the same mileage in my 7th generation but in 5 years.

Hopefully I might change mine for an 8th generation tourer next year.

7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi And welcome,

As with all high mileage diesels use Shell Vpower diesel or BP Ultimate diesel to keep the injectors clean, change the oil every 6k miles, only use Honda DPF approved oil, to stop the DPF blocking, and once a month, warm it up and then take it for a motorway blast to keep everything cleared out.

Only issue maybe at those miles, the clutch may be getting tired and juddery.

All the best.

8. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    welcome

my tourer is crackin its on a 58 plate and has 40k on clock what spec has yours got ?only thing i had with mine when i picked it up was the heater was stuck on blowing cold even when on hot.Also its not the quickest but iv got from a 200bhp ibiza tdi to a 150bhp boat lol

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats a steal of a bargain.

I need to keep my eyes open for one at that price! As stated, be sure to give the car the right fluids, and you will find its as bombproof as any VTEC engine.

10. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    what oil is to be used in the 2.2s 5w-30? il be doin mine every 5k

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :Aghast:

0W-30 and make sure its DPF compliant!

And why every 5k?

Honda recommends 12 months/12k miles.

5K miles if you drive a Vectra or Mundaneo, but not on an 8th Genner. No way.

12. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    iv always done my old changers on my cars every 5k as don't do alot of miles or i do alot of short drives.

i got told by the honda dealer it was 5-30 :Frown:

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Trust me fella, CJ will attest to this - its 0W-30. :Thumbup:

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Adam your dealer should know better 0w-30 and DPF compliant oil. It's set in stone you don't use it you will suffer DPF blockages, I bet you had your share blockages :Aghast:
    Have a look at this http://hondakarma.com/threads/29/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  15. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Agree, the service interval is annual or milage/usage based, 5-6k is a bit much :Smile: but each to their own.

Pictures please!

cheers

Neil

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Neil, If I had a diesel (Which I won't BTW) I would be changing the oil at 5000 miles so it a very wise move by Adam in my opinion. It a small price to pay for peace of mind and in a Honda diesel it worth in gold.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Certainly nothing wrong with changing oil more often than Honda suggests, but they wouldn't be saying 12 months etc without good reason - same applies with the DPF-compliant oil. Honda could easily say whack in any old 0W-30 oil and be done with it - but they don't.

You have to give credit to Honda where its due - the I-DTEC engine is a 12 month oil changer for a reason. I doubt Honda would state that for any ulterior motive. Their word is good enough for me :Thumbup:

18. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    i just like lookin after my cars i ised to was my ibiza every 3 days rain or snow etc change the oil and filter every 5k at every 10k i changed all the filters when it hit the 100k i did every fluid on the car even air con.i think it was more for a peace of mind.what i don't like is at the garage i work at we run a fleet of vauxhalls they are serviced at 20k which i think is to much.

19. cheeky_chops Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

im in the 12months/12k camp - they spend millions on testing reliability of these. Its not just for JDPower reliability polls, its because it will result in a significant increase in warranty claims! So thats what they specify and thats what you should do - any more and its a waste of money (unless you drive it in extreme environments EG alot of trackdays or deserts)

My weekend car for 8 years was a 290bhp VX220 turbo - i used to warm it up (5mins) and let it cool down (1min) after a run on boost. Mobil 1 every year, never had a problem in 40k and that included a quite a few trackdays! :Thumbup:

20. Adamk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Derby
    this is a photoshop of what i want to do to mine :Smile:

533176_10151145444090638_2024961108_n.

this was my ibiza
    459794_287970077952084_117624254986668_673663_370392718_o.

Ichiban likes this.