Body, Paint & Styling Moving Heater Controls

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Peter_G, Thursday 17th Mar, 2016.

1. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Has anyone successfully re-sited the heater control panel downwards to the lower panel and installed it in the position where the clock currently sits?

I want to fit an after market double DIN head unit / car computer in the upper panel. Double DIN fixing brackets are available on fleabay which will fit in the upper panel once the heater controls are re-located.

The other option would be to install the head unit in the lower panel but this would require more modification and you would have to glance down more to see the screen when using navigation (not really a good solution) .

If the heater controls are moveable I would produce a 'How To' which detailed the moving of the heater controls and the installation of the head unit. So has anyone successfully re-located their heater controls?
  2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I haven't done it myself, but I have seen few people do it so it is definitely do-able. I believe @Pottermus did this on his old Accord Type-R.
  3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sort of, Adrian (a technician at Holdcroft Honda) did it for me lol.

You will also need the fascia adapter for the top as the hole is bigger than a double din unit. The Honda panel is also slightly smaller, so I just took a file to it and was able to get it around my headunit.
    exec likes this.
  4. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I suppose the plastic trim that surrounds the radio / heater controls / dials ETC has to come off first, anyone done that?

Harvey likes this.
  5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Start by taking out the switch blanks where the rear fog is and then undo the screw behind them. Followed by the ones under the visor. Then just give the panel a good pull and it should come away.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    There is lots of guides showing how to take the panel off, see my log also to see how to take the fog light switch area switches off properly.
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

also be carefull with the panel around the bottom of the radio if your too heavy handed this can break.

I also need to remove my heater controls, but that is merely so I can replace the bulbs in the back of it. However I wasn't sure how to get the controls out. By the looks of it to get the panel you you need to unhook the control cables from the heater unit under the dashboard each side, before you can remove the control panel itself. I have yet to do this and would rather practice on a scrap car first, that way if I break something it doesn't matter. That and I can then expect what might or could break doing the removal.
    exec likes this.
  8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Peter_G I did a lot of research on the same topic as I wanted to get a double DIN at the top, main issue you will have is moving the manual heater controls as they work with rods etc which will make the job much harder than just moving wires. In the end I end for a single DIN system with slide out screen (Pioneer X7700BT)

9. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have got as far as I can go for the moment. I have removed the dash cowl (trim) that suronds the dials, radio, & heater controls ETC and removed the Honda factory radio/CD unit. I have also removed the gear leaver knob, gaiter, trim panel and removed the clock and cubby box module.

The difficulty is moving the heater controls down to the lower panel to fit it where the clock used to be. The heater control unit has two mechanical leavers which control air temperature and directional air flow. These are connected to the heater air box by mechanical control cables which are not long enough to be easily removable from behind the controls so will have to be disconnected from the air box.

Once these cables have been disconnected I an certain they will be long enough to be re-connected when the heating controls are re-sited (the electrical cables that are connected to the heater controls are plenty long enough)

Has anyone had any experience in disconnecting these mechanical cables from the heater box? how easy is it to get to the heater box? I'm disabled and can't easily kneel on the ground to peer under the dashboard and see the heater box.
    exec likes this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Peter, you may struggle with the next part, from what I have seen from a brief look is that those mechanical control cables can be unhooked from the heater box so that the panel can be withdrawn. But you will need to kneel and poke your head in the footwells on each side to be able to see what you are doing. Though I have yet to do it on my car at the moment as I have had the time or had inclement weather.

The cables unhook off the flaps, but seem to be also clipped in place as well, so may need some prising to remove them.
    exec likes this.
  11. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Today I called at my local repair garage and showed the boss my problem, he promptly lay down in the foot-well on the drivers side and within 5-10 second seconds he had disconnected the cable from the heater box. He repeated this on the passenger side, what a star and he did not charge me either!!!! I'm going to give him a good drink when he re-connects them for me.

Now I have to mount the newly removed heater controls in the lower panel, and to that end I have purchased a spare heater control unit from fleabay, I am going to use that one to mount in the panel. If I make a mistake I still have the original to fall back on, then I just have to install the clock in the lower half of the panel under the re-sited heater controls, I can then re-fit this part of the centre console and have the cables re-connected and set about mounting the double DIN head unit into the newly emptied space above.

Now I just have to source a double DIN adapter bracket and a cable converter as the wiring going to the old Honda radio/CD unit is not ISO standard.
    exec, Duc de Pommfrit and Harvey like this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's great news Peter. At least now I know I was on the correct path about how to get them off. Glad that he sorted you out. Drinks are a Deffo and maybe a pack of biscuits
    exec likes this.
  13. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I received a 2DIN adaptor from Fleabay that was supposed to fit a 1998 - 2003 Honda Accord (the same make and model of these are widely available on the net) but it did not fit my 1999 Accord 1.8i SE Vtech. After further research and looking at the fitting instructions It seems that these American manufactured adaptors are made for the US spec Accord and will not fit in the European spec cars, so be warned. The one I purchased has gone back for a refund.

I realised that the mounting brackets for the original Honda Radio/CD unit is single DIN in width so I made a mock-up of the 2DIN unit I am going to purchase (on it's way) using the manufactures published size and the new unit will be able to be mounted using the Honda single DIN radio/cd brackets.

I have also decided not to purchase the Honda trim piece that fits around a 2DIN unit in favour of making one myself. As I get further along I will post results. Just waiting for parts and fabrication materials to arrive.

I have made a cardboard template for the trim piece and am going to replicate this on a piece or 2mm Aluminium sheet which I will cover with some mat black textured vinyl wrap.

This is the temporary mock up.

exec, Chunkylover53 and Harvey like this.
  14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Looks good but just a suggestion, is it the picture or is the double din sitting a tiny bit lower than centre? or is that because of the location of existing brackets?
  15. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The template is not fixed behind the dash panel it's just resting on the bench. In the finished installation the unit will be central.

BTW: The image of the 2DIN unit is only a picture (shrunk to actual size) of the model I have purchased which has been glued onto the front of a cardboard box that I made up to the exact size of the one I have purchased (which has not arrived yet). I built this box and the cardboard template trim piece to get an idea of how to proceed when I receive all of the materials/parts to continue the installation.
    exec and Harvey like this.
  16. Peter_G Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So, I'm 90% finished I've just got to have the heater control cables re-connected in the foot-wells and securely fasten the dash panel back in place, apart from that everything is working as it should.

In the end I could not get the double DIN unit to sit in the centre of the opening, this is because the space was never designed for a double DIN unit. Even the Bracket supplied by Honda for this purpose does not centre double DIN equipment as can be seen in 'Pottermus' installation. I suppose that if I had the time and a better equipped workshop I could have ditched the Honda radio mounts I used and made some custom ones but with the limited equipment at my disposal I decided to use the ones to hand. I am happy to live with the look of the finished installation.

This is not a task for the faint hearted, it requires a lot of modification to existing equipment in order for them to be moved to their new location, once this modification is done the equipment will not be able to be re-installed into it's original place, also some dashboard plastics have to be cut away.

I started by removing all of the trim around the parts to be modified. I started on the right hand side of the dash panel where the three switches are, straight away i noticed this area seemed loose (I knew that there was a screw behind the centre switch) and after removing the centre switch I found that the bracket and its screw had been previously broken (I think the previous owner had replaced the factory Honda radio) and did not realise there was a hidden screw in this location.

Untitled-1. IMG_0106.

Three other screws must also be removed and then the dash panel can be gently prized off.

When you have removed all of the trim you are left with this.

IMG_0106. Untitled-2. IMG_0095. IMG_0098 copy. IMG_0099 copy. IMG_0101. Untitled-4. Untitled-5.

As I previously mentioned I decided to make my own mounting system using the original Honda radio mounting brackets and a home-made surround panel made from 2mm sheet aluminium covered in black textured vinyl wrap to match the car's interior I spaced this panel away from the mounting brackets with some brass pillars.

Untitled-14. Untitled-15. Untitled-16. Untitled-13.

The heater controls and digital clock have to be drastically modified to fit into their new location which involves a lot of cutting and filing but eventually these two items were persuaded to fit into their new home. Again like the double DIN unit compromises have to be made when fitting equipment into spaces that were not designed for them as can be seen at the bottom of the digital clock but again I am happy to live with them especially as this is a sixteen year old car.

Then it was just a matter of a few wiring modifications for the double DIN unit (the Honda radio wiring loom is not compatible with modern ISO standards) and putting everything back together.

Untitled-18. Untitled-19.

Overall I'm happy with the modifications, it's a shame about the non-centralisation of the double DIN unit and the position of the digital clock but everything works as it should so I'm a happy bunny.

The double DIN unit is from Eonon and can be found here
  17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Really good write up there @Peter_G, not for the faint hearted but its such an improvement. Makes the interior look better than most modern cars!
  18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well done @Peter_G looks fantastic, I have just changed the bulbs behind my heater control vents and ill post up the locations of the cables. I was actually suprised in how easy they are to get off, now that I have the knowledge. Thanks buddy.
  19. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here are pictures of the linkage cables that need to be unhooked and unclipped. They are not hard to remove and only need a good tug and they come out of their metal locating clips

Passenger side 20160410_201804.

Drivers Side

They are rather awkward to access, and @Peter_G with your iffy back it would have been impossible for you. I had to lay on my back over the cill just to be able to get my head underneath to see what I was doing.

And finaly I know this is normal but when they haven't worked properly for 2 years, having them do so looks awesome!

exec likes this.
  20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Fnastastic jobs guys. Great work with the double din and I bet the extra functionality of that unit is very handy, I wouldn't mind one but it'll just get nicked round where I live.
    Harvey likes this.