Electrical & Lights MP3 DVDs

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by mattyg, Saturday 26th Apr, 2014.

1. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi folks I understand that'll the legend DVD player can play mp3 files and wma files on DVDs. I've had a go on Thursday burning a few but it refuses to see anything on the disc. I've used windows media player and I'm not sure whether I should be making a data disc or a music disc. The unit plays CDs no problem that are copied.

Any help would be appreciated as I wanted to put loads of music on DVDs
    Thanks matt

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you are sure it can read mp3s from DVD, then it may just be a case of trying different type of DVD media, dvd-r DVD+r etc

Or even different brand of DVD media.

3. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

We'll on the unit it says mp3 and wma compatible as well as DVD audio so I'm a bit baffled I will have a look at the discs that I have bought as I have binned about 8 now trying to make this work.

Thanks Matt

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On WMP you need to select the music disc option though in reality I wouldn't use WMP as a burner. As much as it pains me to say, iTunes has worked flawlessly when it comes to burning MP3s in the past so maybe you should give that a go? (I'm not sure whether it'll burn to DVD though, I haven't burnt a disc since late 00s).

Also check the burner settings on WMP - make sure its at a compatible speed for the burner (not just the figure on the drive as that usually relates to the read speed or cd write speed).

Out of interest, why can't you use standard CD-R's? Assuming 320kbps MP3s at 5 mins each that's around 10 megs so you can fit 70 songs onto a disc. Admittedly you can fit 490 on a DVD but surely navigating through it all would be a pain the arse?

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I would say skip WMP entirely, drag and drop the MP3 files directly onto the disc's folder in "My Computer" / "This PC" then burn and finalise the disc when you're done. I haven't used WMP in so many years I wouldn't be good at advising how to use it right, though MediaMonkey gets my shout as a powerful replacement with good burning features.

As Chunky pointed out above, you can use a CD-R for the task too no doubt.

7. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the ideas guys I will give it a go tomorrow

Matt

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Any feedback on how you got along @mattyg?

9. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry guys got the keys to my new house and I've been gutting it I've got to get it ready for the family in 4 weeks and I'm really up against it. I tried to burn another one and it still didn't work it just doesn't see the disc when I get some time I'm going to have a play with some different discs.

Thanks again
    matt

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

No pressure mate, was just curious.

If it is the discs that are the problem, I'd recommend Verbatim through and through. Lowest fail rates for any manufacturer IIRC, and I have never had a problem with a single one.

11. dandoon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't think the player in the Legend recognises mp3s when they are on DVDs - it only appears to be able to read them from CDs.
    It plays "DVD-Audio" discs - high resolution audio and surround sound audio - but there are not a lot of these discs available now.
    I use a software program (Cirlinca HD-AUDIO Solo Ultra) to burn music to DVD-Audio discs. With CD quality sound you get up to 99 tracks on one DVD.
    Haven't tried using this software to burn mp3 quality audio to a DVD - the program has this ability (but you're limited to 99 tracks anyway on DVD-A so no point).
    Given the high quality of the playback system in the Legend, I would stick with CD quality sound as a minimum anyway.
    The beauty of burning music to DVD-Audio is that you can use the latest high resolution studio master downloads that are now available (24 bit / 96kHz etc.) and these sound amazing.
    And if you've got access to multi-channel music you can burn high definition surround sound DVDs.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks I will have a look and see what brand I have

Matt

13. herald Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

harry Australia
    I've had the exact same problems - its almost hard to actually purchase blank cd's now - but dvd-r im having loads of trouble trying to burn them - but will use the above advise see what happens. :Smile:

14. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

You have got me thinking now going green to have a play as soon as I get some time forgive me but I don't see what the difference is between dvd mp3 and cd mp3

15. herald Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

harry Australia
    I've tried Sony DVD-R. I've tried cheap DVD-r home brand ones...nothing seems to work - I've tried burning on Nero, using windows itself and on windows media player none of the above works.. - CD MP3 works fine though. :Smile: was it false advertising? - although as mentioned above why do we want DVD when CD MP3 holds enough music plus 6 CD stacker is more than enough....but we just want to know if it truly holds DVD audio....and if so HOW.? lol.

16. dandoon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The player in the Legend will NOT play mp3's from a DVD - no matter how you try to burn it.
    It's designed to play "DVD-Audio" which was an audio format developed to provide enough space on an audio disc for high resolution audiophile stereo audio / multi-channel surround audio / an awful lot of CD quality audio - or a mixture of all these things.
    These "DVD-Audio" discs were available from the year 2000 but "Super Audio CD" discs took over and I don't think any have been released commercially since the late 2000's.
    You can pick them up second-hand but a quick search on eBay appears to show they're still relatively expensive.
    So unless the DVD you're putting into your Legend has the logo like the one below - it's not going to play.
    upload_2014-5-12_21-2-33.

Attached Files:

PeteMM, Ichiban, herald and 1 other person like this.
  17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

At last the answer.
    Well done @dandoon :Thumbup:

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  19. herald Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

harry Australia
    this is brilliant you have saved me useless hours of trying to figure this out...thanks dandoon.

Ichiban likes this.
  20. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Me too thanks although I still feel as though Honda have had my pants down though !