Fuel Efficiency MPG???

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Kris81, Thursday 19th Mar, 2015.

1. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've had my 19" wheels on for about a month now, and I'm sure it is effecting my MPG? I'm sure I'm getting less miles to a tank of juice. Would I be right to think that?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Tyre is wider = more rolling resistance
    Tyre is taller = more wheel material = more weight
    Tyre is taller = effectively gives a longer gear

The last point is a plus but it's probably negated by the first two points so overall effective on the fuel consumption is negative so yes, it probably will drop.

You know, I think you should LPG your car :Tongue:

3. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ha ha, I want to just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money!

Still working locally so no need to.....yet!

4. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gm Gardne Tavistock
    ...last full properly calculated tank of fuel revealed 36.5mpg for my 2.4 ex Tourer ! & the tank before the same and the one before that nearly 38mpg !

Why have milk (Diesel) when you can have cream (lovely smooth 2.4 VTEC petrol power )...Yummy!

tonygw and SpeedyGee like this.
  5. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'm having a run out to Scarborough at the weekend, so gonna take it steady and see what she does.

Best I've had on a run at 50mph due to average speed cameras and being summer over a distance of 110 miles was 42mpg! Don't think I'll ever see that again.

Other best was 34/ 35mpg to work and back.

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The 2.4 engine is pure cream.....sooo smoooooooooooooooth. I don't seem to get that MPG though but I do a lot of stop start these days, damn traffic lights and hgv's!!!

7. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

...indeed, it really is a superb engine...bomb proof,silky smooth and economical...what more could you ask for?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

... add to this an LPG system and you're laughing every time you get in :Grin:

9. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This is a pic of my MPG app on my phone after a trip to Scarborough and back over the weekend, me the wife, 2kids and a boot full of stuff!
    I was keeping up with traffic all the way I was trying my best to read the road and do less braking etc....

Nearly 41 to the gallon, this was over 180 miles.

Screenshot_2015-03-23-07-10-07.

Ves likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You must be quite light footed :Smile:

I'm the opposite, especially now with my new exhaust, love to hear it growl LOL

11. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Easter weekend we are off to santa pod for the weekend 400 mile round trip, so see what she is like at motorway speeds.

12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I was speaking wiht my cousin who has just taken delivery of a 2 year old Civic I-DTEC diesel. He was a little disspaointed with the MPG. He gets around 50mpg where as his previous 1.8 petrol Civic was doing around 42mpg. He has a little more torque with the diesel but its over quick. Given the extra cost of diesel he hasnt really seen much benefit. I know neither of these are Accords but thought I'd mention it.
    +1 for the petrol chaps.

Kris81 likes this.
  13. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well, done a 410 mile round trip since yesterday and MPG came down when fluctuating between 70 - 90 I managed 34mpg at probably an average of 80 with a full boot, 2 kids and 3 adults. I tell you what, it drove spot on at about 80.

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I went from 16 to 18 inch since last week and it definitely is affecting MPG !! I emptied a tank this week and need approx. 0,5 liter more for 100 km (from 6,9 to 7,4 for this one tank).

15. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

...last tank (brim to empty) calculated at 38.88mpg ! 2.4 VTEC for the win...why have cotton when you can have silk :Smile:

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

For real silk you need to have a 2.4 with LPG ! I did a run from Birmingham to London, 250 miles for £18.

That's the cost equivalent of doing 73MPG in a Diesel :BooYeah::party::mosh:

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

U must have been taking that steady @SpeedyGee?

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If I did that then I wouldn't be Speedy then would I ? :Rolf:

Its the price difference, I get LPG for 47p/litre

19. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ha ha, I like it!

20. godzilla84 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'd love to get my 2.0 petrol on LPG. I'm heavy footed and I average high 20s low 30s most of the time. Better than my diesel Land Rover though..... High teens most of the time. Haha

i-DSI likes this.