Fuel Efficiency Mpg

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Frvsn05, Monday 2nd May, 2016.

1. Frvsn05 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Rosyth
    This could be my driving style (which my partner often tells me off for the way I drive) but what is everyone averaging in there FR-V? Around town etc I get maybe 30 if lucky I have the 2 litre VTEC engine. Filled half tank on Friday and by this morning petrol light back on.

2. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    It does depends on your driving. I get 30mpg local and 50+ when I do long distance. My right foot is heavy. Thats both on my petrol and diesel.

3. Frvsn05 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think at this rate I might just need to take out shares in local petrol station

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    30mpg sounds average to me considering you admit that you have a sprightly driving style.

Some people have gotten them LPG converted if you do enough mileage. But FRVs weren't know for their MPG figures to begin with.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My LPG'd FR-V costs me about £8/100 miles around town, that's a cost equivalent doing nearly 50MPG around town :Grin:

yanw and legend-ary like this.
  6. Frvsn05 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Might have to look into that

7. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I'm at a shocking 22mpg!
    But that's because the rear end is all locked up

8. Frvsn05 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lol. Bloody hell

9. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Had new rear discs and pads and still only 24mpg...
    Had new filters, oil and I'll do plugs soon.
    The rear discs still get warm but would new ones do this to bed in?

10. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    I have 1.8 petrol automatic and can't get above 20mpg. Feel like crying :-( is therefore something wrong or is this normal? I live in London so lots of stop start driving....

11. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Sounds about right for London I'm afraid. I'm based there and get an overall figure of 25 but mines manual.

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

20mpg is horrible. I think around 35mpg shouldn't be a problem.

13. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

After all of my issues I'm up to 28mpg but that's literally never going over 50mph.
    Got a 170 mile drive Monday so I'll be happy if it gets in the 40's on the motor way

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My 1st Generation Accord built in 1977 does 42 MPG with a carburettor, 2 valves per cylinder no modern mod cons.. just shows how poor modern cars are.

15. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My old cavalier turbo running 305bhp & 4x4 was getting 26mpg!
    The MPG isn't really an issue for us as we don't often do long drives but I'm still wondering if LPG would pay off in the long run.

16. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Many years ago I bought a Renault 20 ts for £75 ! It was an auto, I borrowed a friends 4th Generation cortina auto and never got more than 18 MPG which I thought was terrible as the Renault never returned less than 25 ! The Renault obviously was years ahead of the ancient unwanted pinto engine.
    I'm getting an overall MPG of 25 out of bump but as I'm used to 18 MPG for my Iveco and 12 for the Buick that's pure luxury.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  17. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London
    having the car two weeks now I can't get over 20mpg.
    I wonder if its worth going back to dealer for diagnosis?

Can someone point me in the direction of someone who does LPG for FR-V? How much does conversion cost?

SpeedyGee likes this.
  18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

20mpg is not something that is acceptable in any case. I would take it to the garage you bought it from. There is something not eighth. Maybe binding brakes or similar but yes definitely go back

@SpeedyGee is our resident LPG expert so maybe he can guide you in finding a good garage local to you.

@Kris81 just got his car converted by him so maybe he can give feedback on performance and fuel consumption

19. naf123 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Nathan London

I don't think the brakes are an issue as the back brakes feel cold to touch after driving but the front brakes feels warm but I have been told it is usual to be warm on the front.

Not sure what they can diagnose ....

20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yes it is indeed normal for the front to be warmer. My point was that garage has to diagnose the issue and they will probably. Choked air filter, incorrect tyre pressures or something ... There are so many things that could be the cause so they can systematically check each since you only had the car for a couple of weeks so the fault was there when you bought it.