Fuel Efficiency Mpg ??

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Pjp2306, Sunday 4th Sep, 2016.

1. Pjp2306 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Phil Hessle
    After years of owning only BMWs I decided to buy a 2016 CR-V 16 derv auto. Specs state avarage of 50+ MPG.just drove from Hull to Plymouth average 75 mph. Display shows 45mpg. Also will not drive in 9th gear until I hit 80 mph. Not impressed!!! My previ o us BMW 118d used to get 65 MPG.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi & Welcome to HK.

10% MPG differentials are not uncommon in any car. And I doubt you were really getting 65mpg from your 1-Series. German car makers have been slammed worldwide for their pseudo-figures, emissions and other metrics.

Out of interest, what spec is your CR-V? Is it new/used etc?

FYI - I have the 2.2 auto. Recently did a long 400+ jaunt from Worcester to beyond Aberdeen and trip computer average 57mpg....so it can be higher...depending on driving styles etc.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

There have been many reports of the 1.6 I-DTEC - particularly in automatic - falling well below 'official' figures. Just like pretty much every diesel from pretty much every manufacturer.

Personally I'd say 45mpg at an average of 75mph - let's remember that's above the legal speed limit in the UK - is a solid result. If you stuck to the speed limit you could probably add 4-5 MPG to that figure.

Also comparing a small 2WD car with a large 4WD SUV in terms of economy is like a broken pencil.

Pointless.

Beefy and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Strange. I would have thought getting 5-6mpg less than claimed figure is pretty amazing!
    Official figures are attainted during lab testing in perfect conditions.. How many miles has your CR-V done? Have you tried adjusting your speeds to legal limit of 70mph and noted the MPG? There are so many variables involved that can't really tell why..

Exactly my thoughts! a 1350Kg car with 2.0 engine is more economical than a 1600kg AWD SUV with 1.6 engine? Who would have thought!?

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The official figures for the 116d are 79mpg average...:lol:

Racy Jace likes this.
  6. Pjp2306 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the replies. I suppose comparing the s e 2 cars is not fair. I will try reducing speed and see what happens. The car is 1 year old with 9k miles on clock.one thing that is strange tho is that one would think at 70mph the car would be inthe highest gear? It stays in 8th. And will not allow me to put in 9th gear. Until doing about 80 mph. Surely being in the highest gear would be most economical? Can this be adjusted by a dealer?

7. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

In my experience fuel economy falls off a cliff at speeds over 70mph. Despite a published figure of 53.3mpg combined, Honda UK Technical advised that 38mpg combined was "fairly normal" for this advanced 1.6 I-DTEC engine.

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm pretty sure 9th gear can't be adjusted.

The problem these days is that all manufactures produce cars designed to perform 'on the test bench' rather than in the real world.

It doesn't need 9 gears - it just needs 4 or 5 with well spaced ratios that match the power delivery. Except that wouldn't give great 'official' figures so instead we get unnecessary 'advancement' and frustration from owners unable to match the figures they thought they'd achieve.

It's crap, frankly - but that seems to be how it is.

On the other hand, my 2.0 litre petrol auto - which the motoring press 'experts' hate - is good to drive with reliable tech, no DPF, cheaper fuel, and economy in the real world almost as good as the diesel with a lower purchase price. Go figure...

9. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    @Pjp2306 - I read somewhere that it is usual for diesels' economy to improve after about 20000 miles. I am still waiting for that to be noticeable on my vehicle, now at 33500km. That said, I average about 49mpg on premium diesel (Esso), in a mixture of 30% motorway driving (the speed limit here is 130kmh - around 81) and cross-country.

10. Ralphk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RK Malvern
    I don't think that I would ever expect a SUV vehicle with the aerodynamics of a housebrick to compare to a small saloon car!
    Having now done 1500 miles in my 1.6 I-DTEC the average fuel is gradually climbing up to the dizzy heights of 46 MPG, which is calculated on full to full tanks calculation. Incidentally the computer states 45.3 MPG!
    Personally I don't give a toss as my Freelander only ever did 32mpg at best.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. andy83 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hi all,
    at end of day who ever to say a car will get near its spec MPG as like has been said driving conditions ECT can make an affect on MPG in the real world so a few MPG different would surely not be a big worry to any one and the right foot can make a difference to it.
    thanks
    andy

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    What type of range would the BMW give you on a full tank?

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I'm pretty sure that depends on how many miles it does on the back of the AA Relay recovery truck...:Laughing:

14. Nighthawk Guest

Is that how they attain high mileage? Half of its been driven, the other half is whilst its been recovered?

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I believe in the testing for the 'official' figures German cars have the rolling road turned off for 33% of the test time in order to make the results more reflective of their reliability in 'real world' conditions...

16. Nighthawk Guest

33% is rather generous isnt it?

FirstHonda likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

18. Pjp2306 New Member Getting Started

Nighthawk. I had a 2007 118d BMW. And when on holiday driving from Hull to Cornwall and around cornwall. got 620 miles from a full tank that was working out from filling up. Not the cars computor.

19. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bet they don't use winter conditions as it would slide off the test bed:Laughing:

20. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    If you don't stop and start too often, I think you should get that from your CR-V, too. When I fill up, the distance to next refuel is frequently over 1000km. Although this rapidly falls to 850km at the end, the predicted miles left at the point when I do refuel never compute with the amount of fuel I can get into the tank.