General MPG's.... Yet another thread about them + Fuel additives and Cleaners

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Tuesday 15th Sep, 2015.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK, so I've had the car for about 2 months now... adequate time to do some calcs on average MPG's.

Filled the tank last month... drove 359.9 miles, refilled with 43.58lts = 8.26mpl or 9.68g = 37.18mpg

Most drives have been urban only 2-3 miles and 10-12 miles usually with a short stop in the middle. Then a load of 25 mile trips with a long stop before a 25 mile return. On average, I would say 200 miles in 25 mile trips, and the rest in smaller ones.

I have no frame of reference here when it comes to the Accord... only my old Mondeo Saloon which would give me around 43mpg for the same types of journey.

According to the gauge, I had used approx 3/4 of the tank and filling it with 43.5lt of a 65lt tank seems to support this as they never fill completely.

I've not had the opportunity to do a long run yet, so she's not been trundled up and down a motorway at 70mph since the day of purchase.

I am hoping that will improve because I've tried adding some additives... First, I put 250ml of redex into 2/3 of a tank... double the recommended dose... But I got a good deal on 4 bottles with 50% extra free for less than it cost for 3x250ml bottles from your local motorspares place.

I Gave the car and good thrashing for a few miles on the drive home today... before I would get thick black smoke when going over 3200rpm, the car may not have been looked after as well as the service history suggests. But 3-4 miles of hard acceleration has cleared out 90% of the black smoke. I can take it up to 4000rpm with hardly any at all now.

I'll be adding a further 125ml shot of redex into this full tank and each full tank from now on... as I've got enough redex to last me for another 14 tanks.

I've also got a bottle of cataclean to put through the system... used it before and it works. I had a car that failed it's MOT on emissions, pulled the codes and ordered 2 new O2 sensors but they sent the wrong ones... Stuck a bottle of cataclean through it, 25 miles of hard driving and lots of white smoke (don't use an entire bottle with just 15lts of fuel)... and it passed the MOT with flying colours in spite of 2 failed O2 sensors (replaced them a couple of weeks later when the right ones turned up).

So hoping a good clear out will improve those MPG's.

2. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Bones126 and Heckler like this.
  3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    They also make this for petrol cars as well.
    My recommendation is use Vpower as this contains all the cleaning agents to keep your car tip top and also a couple of extra HP will be achieved.

steve4536 and Busa1340r like this.
  5. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    New air/fuel filters, maybe an oil and filter change if you're feeling flush, followed by an Italian tune-up is all you need (unless there is something mechanically wrong with your engine - which an additive won't fix anyway) - all of these additives are just snake-oil.

6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

5th Gear did a piece on Redex and found it did actually work... albeit it on a VW Corrado VR6.

A service is due in Jan, although according to the logbook it's only been 4700 miles since the last one in Jan 2015. Time to start accumulating parts as I want to do all filters, glow plugs and flush through brake fluid and power steering fluid.

7. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    When you say "work"......?

Heckler and Zebster like this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid: Don't underestimate the importance of a new, clean fuel filter. Also, it's worth checking/cleaning the EGR valve and pipes.

Admittedly, my CN1 (2003 I-CTDI) didn't have as many miles on her, but even after 11 years, she never blew smoke and never had any additives. Just regular oil changes and servicing to my picky requirements.
    I always got at least low 40's MPG around town and much better on a run.

Heckler likes this.
  9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've never put additives in mine in all the years I've had it. I can see how adding cetane boosters might aid performance, but I don't see how 'cleaners' might work and why they might be needed anyway. It's a diesel, it will smoke a little under load at higher RPM... the fuel being injected doesn't have time to burn completely. I'd expect all diesels to smoke a bit, although a DPF will also reduce the visible smoke. Mine certainly smokes when driven hard and always has done, but is usually only noticeable when there's another car behind me with it's lights on. However, your MPG is a bit poor, so the suggestion of fitting a new (OEM) air filter is a good idea.

Heckler likes this.
  10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I would do the EGR clean, there are some very good guides on here how to do it. I did mine and noticed and improvement on MPG straight away.

Heckler likes this.
  11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Good point and worth a try. But the pre-facelift electric EGR valve was far less prone to problems than the FL vacuum EGR valve (the early unit oscillated aggressively open/closed with a variable pulse-width to give part-flow control, so was far less likely to become sticky). The later vacuum unit was slow and gentle, so was prone to being affected by soot build-up.

Heckler likes this.
  12. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Is the EGR clean to do with removing it and spraying a load of MR Muscle in the pipes? I remember reading something about that a couple of months ago.

I shall monitor the MPG's over the next couple of weeks and see if just using the Redex and cataclean improves anything... But I will also start buying the parts for a full service

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've not heard of cleaning the EGR valve that way (not sure it would would work if the valve was closed anyway!), but certainly Mr Muscle has been used to clean intake manifolds and even the turbo on the old 1.7 Civic diesel (Izusu engine). You don't really need to clean it, just make sure it closes properly and without sticking. Apply an electric signal to make it operate so you can check.

Heckler likes this.
  14. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I removed mine and used isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to clean it, it's really good a dissolving carbon build up.

Heckler likes this.
  15. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have always used v power diesel in mine and achieve average 58-62 MPG doing short motorway and town runs to work including the awful traffic jams in the morning on the heathrow side of the m25. I would say v power is great for the I-CDTI engine.
    As mentioned definately look at the EGR valve, new filters and new oil too.

Tyres have a big impact on MPG - the uniroyals i had previously had a high rolling resistance, the new tyres i have now increased my MPG by 2-3 easily.
    Correct tyre pressure are important too. Also make sure no dead weight is being carried around in the boot.
    Worth checking that the rear brake calipers arent dragging too. That can steal some MPG's too.

Tourers are bit more heavy than the saloons but it should easily achieve 55mpg without a sweat.

Nels and Bones126 like this.
  16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    An excellent point about a rear brake possibly dragging, but I have never achieved 55 MPG! I would suggest my 'normal' figure of 43 MPG to be a softer target, at least initially.

Heckler likes this.
  17. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I had all new discs and pads fitted about 5-6 weeks ago, the rear callipers were checked, cleaned and greased... So I would be very, very surprised if they were binding already.

I'm obviously making comparisons to my old Mondeo Saloon... but was expecting around 3mpg fewer on average... so to be 7-8mpg lower was a concern. I drive very sedately, never really change gear over 2600rpm and stick to a steady 60-65mph on major roads. It's far more sluggish than the 2lt 130bhp Mondeo... although others have said it was quicker than they expected (may have been modified to the 155bhp mapping be a previous owner) inspite of the extra power and engine size.

But... I remember that a full service, all filters and fuel cleaing worked wonders on my old import MX6 and enabled me to get 34.4mpg out of an engine only rated for 32mpg... whilst the car was fully loaded with camping gear and 2 people... that was on the way to the Nurburgring... and whilst there I averaged about 16mpg. :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -

Tyres are Michelin... not sure which ones. Tyre pressures are checked every 10-14 days and so far these only drop 2-3psi in that time. Which is about normal in my experience... So no leaky rims or valves. I keep them at 35 front and 32 rear... which I know is a little over recommended. But I've always done this with diesels because they're a heavier engine compared to the petrol variant and the OEM spec for both is the same... It's never done my tyres any harm before, and doesn't affect grip. My boot is never empty and rarely full. So I keep the rears a little above recommended when boot is empty.

18. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

How do I tell what type of fuel filter I have? it's a 2005 on a 54 plate and according to the VIN was made in 2005... I'm seeing 2 types, one with pipes and one that screws in place.

19. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Punch your reg no. into the lingshondaparts website.

Heckler likes this.
  20. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK, according to the lingshondaparts.com site, it's part number PFKL341727 which according to the diagram has the pipes coming out of the top... But it seems rather pricey @ over £42 plus delivery.