FR-V MPV Anyone?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by mat, Wednesday 16th May, 2012.

1. mat Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Does anyone know if Honda are planning a UK MPV since the dimise of the F-RV.

Currently I have an old Civic, which is brilliantly reliable but getting to be a bit too small for a growing family. I want to stick with Honda. I'm toying with and Accord Tourer, and FR-V or a CR-V. I'm looking at petrol versions of all these as I know and love Honda petrol engines and the age of car I'd be buying would be the old generation of diesels, which (apparently - I have no experience in them) are a bit rough.

I like the idea of a higher seating position of the FR-V and CR-V for comfort but the MPG and boot space of the accord.

Does anybody else think the UK honda range is a bit limited?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I personally think after the aftermath of the Japanese and thailand earthquakes , Honda has been on the back foot. Until the new Honda Civic sells like hot cakes and the Japanese yen drops in value the chances of newer models will be limited. Honda HUMUK are now mass producing Jazz for the Japanese market as it cheaper to do !!! Untill Honda sales charts improve with the currents car line ups the chances of newer models will be limited. I would look at CR-V and the tourer for space.

3. mat Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cool, thanks. I like the CR-V but fuel figures worry me as I sometimes have to drive huge distances for work. When I buy a car it has to last a good 10 years so have to get the decision right. I do like the idea of the height - I always find it more comfortable.

We bought a new Jazz last year for the mrs. We're both very impressed with it. That was brand new so I expect to keep if for 15 years. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    mat let have a look at your Jazz?

5. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have gone off it it looks ugly http://hondakarma.com/threads/4225/ it will never look like this in production.

if I wanted to buy a 5 seater it would be made in Japan and "The Accord!" made by proper professionals :Thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    John Dickson likes this.
  7. mike787 Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a Civic 2.2 diesel, it was superb, probably the best car I’ve ever owned for practicality, load carrying, performance and economy. Sadly, family circumstances caused the need to change, (90 yr old passenger complaining of access). We tried the CR-V for access but he couldn’t get in that. I managed to find a very low mileage parallel import FR-V 1.8 petrol FR-V with all papers to show it was genuine. It was far, far cheaper than the few of those of the same age offered for sale by main dealers. I had doubts about buying a non UK market car, but insurance and all other factors have been fine to date with nothing different to a UK car. The down side is economy, compared to the diesel Civic it has been a shock. The upside is that I don’t have the worry of a potential failure of the dual mass flywheel and petrol is cheaper than diesel! It has carried 6 adults and luggage with ease. It’s just a case of trying to find one as I understand the petrol versions are becoming sought after.

8. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    I bought an FR-V recently due to family requirements and we're all really enjoying the car. I loved my old Volvo V70 but getting the kids in and out was a real pain and the access afforded by the FR-V is incredible in comparison:- doors which open fully, less intrusive sills and higher seats & roof mean I'm not straining my back every time I put our 2 year old in her seat. Similar story up front too, much easier to get in and out of the cabin and less likely to scrape muddy boots on door trim etc. The all-round visibility is good in comparison too affording a much better view when turning right across busy junctions. A common complaint is the rear visibility but I have to say I haven't found this to be a problem at all.

My V70 was a T5 so I'm actually up about 10 MPG with the 1.8 petrol FR-V, although I am also down about 130 BHP! I'm not really a diesel fan TBH mainly from a pollution view-point but also from a reliability stance - DMF, EGR and DPF problems seem to be all too common on modern diesels so I'm happy to live with Petrol economy and refinement, even if it does mean missing out on grunt.

9. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just switched to an FR-V from a Civic. I had a look at a CR-V but if you need to carry 5 or more passengers with ease, the FR-V is the only choice. The CR-V does have 5 seats but the middle seat in the back is a bit of a squeeze, particularly with 2 child seats alongside you! No such issues with FR-V.

10. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Wow, I have just looked at the New Civic Tourer mentioned in this thread, I think it looks fantastic. When I had my Civic I used to love the flexibility of the interior, with the estate version I reckon it will be a winner for family use.
    Can't wait to see the finished vehicle .
    Mike c

11. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    It certainly looks swish doesn't it? Not convinced about family use though - for ease of getting the little uns in and out etc you can't beat the additional height than an MPV offers. I'd not go back to an estate now having owned the FR-V.

David

12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Pity the Odyssey isn't coming, the new one looks pretty good for an MPV.