Body, Paint & Styling Mud flaps

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Saturday 12th Dec, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Anybody fitted the above to a 2014 Black Edition CR-V?

If so, a few questions:

Are they worth fitting, i.e. do they offer any significant protection to the sides of the vehicle.

How much do the OEM ones cost.

Are they an easy DIY fit.

Keith

Toggerefc likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

OEM mud flaps fit perfectly.
    Phone @Holdcroft Honda to get the best price.

I've not fitted them to a CR-V, but on 3 Accords.
    They do stop the mud and stones BUT, they also eventually rub down the paint where they fit.

Any CR-V owners able to give Keith a first hand reply?

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@155695 - I've taken some pictures of the OEM mudflaps fitted to my CR-V this morning so you can see how big they are and (sort of) how they fit.

As @Nels says, they do fit perfectly and look like part of the trim, so IMHO well worth it.

I know that they don't look that big, but any closer to the ground and they could foul on kerbs/speed humps/off-road I guess.

The fronts definitely offer protection to the flanks of the car - the rears don't have much to protect, and I'm not sure they cut down spray for drivers behind much either, but from a 'look' perspective I think it is better to have a full set.

No idea how easy they are to fit, as they came with the 'Premium' pack fitted when the car was delivered.

IMG_0419. IMG_0420. IMG_0421.

P.S. I think these photos rather shatter the illusion that my cars are always clean...:Laughing:

Ichiban and Nels like this.
  4. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another vote for mud flaps on the CR-V. I had the Premium pack fitted and along with the door strips to help prevent dings and dents, it was worth it. The Premium Pack is available as a dealer fit. I didn't have mud flaps on my previous car as it didn't suit the style, but as a result was always having to spend time removing tar spots from the paintwork along from wheel arches. Plus this area was more prone to stone chips. Mud flaps do suit the 4WD style and are not too prominent otherwise they would catch on off road terrains.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If the area of contact between the flap and car is plastic, then you don't need to worry about the paint being eroded.

Toggerefc likes this.
  6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for the replies - I don't think the paint being rubbed is an issue on my CR-V as the flaps would fit against the plastic wheel arch surrounds.

I think I'll go for a set and give HH a ring tomorrow. I've done some research on fitting and it seems very straight forward.

Keith

Nels and FirstHonda like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It would be good if you could post up some 'before & after' shots in your Project Log Keith.
    Adding mud flaps is a query we see quite often and it may well help others decide what to do.

8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Happy to do that.

Keith

Nels likes this.
  9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mudflaps now fitted and it appears to me the biggest difference before and after is the fact I'm £85 quid worse off! I thought I might have got a bit more of a discount from HH (the discount from them on the side strips was very significant) but they were within pence the same price as quoted elsewhere on the net.

They don't appear to add much protection as they are so short. I haven't added any photos because the ones earlier in this thread adequately show what they look like and the car doesn't look much different without them, i.e. they are hardly noticeable. It remains to be seen what additional protection from splashing, etc. they add to the sides of the car. In honesty I suspect not much.

I also haven't posted any photos of them being fitted as there are a couple of good YouTube entries showing how it is done - whilst these are US versions the mudflaps and the fitting are exactly the same. They also come with a set of instructions and all the screws and clips needed.

The only thing I would add in relation to fitting is that if I was doing it again I would jack the car up a bit as I'm sure this would make it extremely easy (as opposed to pretty easy) to do.

At the end of the day, if I'd known before I fitted them what I know now, I don't think I'd have bothered.

Keith

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@155695

I can't say for certain what difference they make on my CR-V, as they were fitted from new as part of the premium pack.

What I can tell you is this. On my VW Tiguan, I didn't have mud flaps, and I was forever cleaning tar of the bottoms of the doors.

When I had my Accord, I had the Honda mud flaps (very similar to the CR-V ones) and had far fewer issues. After 40k miles and 3 years, there were no chips on the bottoms of the front doors, either.

They may not look like they are doing much, but my anecdotal experience suggests to me that they to have an effect, however minor.

Before my Accord, I'd never bothered. Since my Accord, I'll never have a car without them again.

Lisbon likes this.
  11. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    That does give me a bit more confidence - as I mentioned in my earlier post, time will tell and of course l'm going purely on looks so i wouldn't argue with someone who has actual experience of them.

Keith

12. Ralphk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RK Malvern
    The car isn't delivered till next week but I will get the mudflaps. Should I buy genuine Honda or go for the cheaper ones on EBay?

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think it depends on a number of factors. Personally I'd go with the genuine Honda items.

How much are the eBay items? Have you got a link to them?

What is the price difference?

14. Ralphk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Item number is 391495436055 at £45.00 approx. I have asked Holdcroft for a price on OEM items though

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think the Honda items will be about £80. They are proven to fit and proven quality - and HH may be able to do them cheaper still.

I'd stay with genuine Honda personally, but then again i am a bit 'risk averse' :Whistle:

16. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    See my post #9 above. Unusually, HH couldn't offer much more discount than my local main dealer. What I can say however is that the OEM ones are clearly made specifically for the car and fit like a glove. If I hadn't fitted them myself, I wouldn't know they hadn't come with the car and they do sort of finish the car off in the same way as the side stripes (which HH supplied, that time at a very good discount).

Although, In my eyes, a large questionmark remains over their usefulness.

Keith

17. Ralphk Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have replied on the wrong thread but anyway I have ordered the OEM guards to be sure I keep the car genuine. Thanks for you input guys!

FirstHonda likes this.