Off-Topic Mugen PC case project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bijomaru, Wednesday 8th Aug, 2012.

1. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I've recently started a case mod for a XPS 720 case, which comes as BTX. I converted it to ATX and now going through working out Dell's connections for LEDs buttons etc.
    For those interested, build log is located here: Dell XPS 700 case - BTX to ATX conversion - Overclockers UK Forums

A friend of mine suggested I make it a Honda case. So, he made few examples of how I could make it look.

Mugen_1.
    Mugen_2.
    Mugen_3.

I like the White (Championship White of course :Wink:) case with Mugen logo most.

Then we thought we could make it even better, with the 2 Mugen chinese characters as a cut-out to see the awesomness inside :Wink:

Here's how it might look:

Mugen_4.

:Aghast: Obviously with some red LED action going on inside.

It migth take a while but seems like a great project. Getting a quote to get a laser cut as I'd rather not cut the panel myself. It's quite well build and thick aluminium.

What do you guys think?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I like it mate get us full blown pictures of the case

Mugen Chinese characters ..lol did you mean Japanese :Wink:

3. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Well those are written in Kanji which is actually using Chinese characters, as opposed to Hiragana and Katakana which are Japanese alphabets. :Wink:

Will upload some pics soon. Will be taking the case apart to prepare it for the cutting and painting.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Meow check you out Mr prodigy :Hey:

5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

This is what it looks like at the moment.

image.

image.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That tower is massive showing its age now, a lick of paint and some hondaness will make it spot on.

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Oh definitely. I was given it for free about a year ago. Even before then I expect it was just gathering dust for a year or two. I'm just relocating my stuff to the old case for now. Will be stripping the XPS to give it a bath and proper clean :Smile:

Then have to find out about getting the cut before we start painting.

Excited !

8. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm having a dilemma regarding the choice of paint.

As much as I'd love to use Championship White, it proves rather expensive, with a 400ml spray can costing around £20. On the other hand I can get a kit of 3 paint spray cans and 3 lacquer sprays for £10.

Is there much difference between Championship White and regular White? Can't seem to compare these two. Unless someone knows a place to get NH-0 cheaper?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rob where are you getting these prices off ?

10. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

11. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

No other place to get these Championship White sprays then? Gonna have to be ebay ...

I've finalised the order for the panel cut-out with a one company I found in the UK doing this to cases ... Should be coming next week. Cannot wait !!!!

Mugen colours braided cables coming soon as well ...

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Buddy around here there are loads of independent automotive paint shops. since this paint isn't going on the car they can mix the paint with lesser know paint companies to get the same finish.ICI,Sikkens,Dupont or PPG are all expensive but these trade paints will do.

Just walk into your local paint shop around your way,

13. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Ok I've found few places. Going to ask around tomorrow. Cheers

14. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Got an update on the cables I've ordered...

What do you guys think? The yellow is a bit brighter than I expected but there are limited colours available for braiding.

braided_mugen_cables.

15. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Looks a really good match...any slight difference with the outside won't be noticeable...what colour case lighting will you go for?

16. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Thought about red but I will probably wait for the cables to arrive, and case to be cut, painted and assembled, then take some hi-res photos and try visualise the lighting to see what works best.

The yellow on the cables is UV reactive, and so will be some of the SATA cables. CPU fan is going to be red as well. So yeah... red being the main theme might as well go for that.