Multiple Limp mode on my CR-V

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Sims77, Tuesday 24th Mar, 2015.

1. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark Sims Stoke on Trent
    My wife bought the CR-V 3 weeks ago and since the start of her ownership the car has gone into limp mode 4 times.
    On the first occasion I thought the throttle cable had snapped but on inspection it was fine. The car was idling but wouldn't rev, I checked the throttle position sensor and it was covered in grease.
    I cleaned it as best as I could disconnected the battery, reset it all and the car worked.

We contacted the dealer and he said to inform the warranty company who advised us to get a quote for the repairs and send it to them. Which we did.

On inspection the car was found to need a accelerator sensor which is attached to the throttle, a drop link has extreme excessive play and the front brake discs were warped.
    The quote was sent to the warranty company who responded that they would not cover any of the problems.
    My wife then contacted the warranty legal team to challenge the decision. They haven't responded yet.

She then contacted the dealer to ask him to fix the car, he responded that the car passed its MOT so maybe we need to contact VOSA and its nothing to do with him as he isn't a repair garage. He is on holiday until the 27th and someone will contact us in 5 days.

My wife needs her car as she is a sales rep and she is worried that the car is dangerous to drive as it could cut out at any point and cause a serious accident.

What should we do next?

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    The dealer is responsible for dealing with the problems and cannot fob you off onto a third-party warranty company. So (after 27th) take the matter up again with the dealer and raise the matter with trading standards, if necessary.

Sims77 likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Could one of the moderators move this into the relevant CR-V section, please?

Hopefully @Sims77 it will then get a better response in terms of help & advice from members.

Sims77 likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Done @Staff

5. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Half the time these 3rd party warranty's are not worth the paper they're written on as they exclude that many components it's unreal. Usually it's the old wear and tear cop out.

I think the buck stops with the supplier (I'd imagine when you say dealer, you don't mean Honda dealer) and it's going to be a long drawn out case of too-ing and fro-ing before they either buckle and replace the APP sensor or tell you to jog on. You could go down the route of trading standards but ultimately they will just advise you to go through the small claims court. Which will cost around £300 to set up a claim plus any expenses that you may incur.

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers.
    Yes it's just a small independent dealer.
    I hope he can sort it, it would be less trouble.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Agree with this. If he is a dealer, however small, stand firm and make it clear (politely as long as he is!) that you know what you are entitled to.

This link may help from Which?

The second hand car I bought has a problem, what are my rights? - Which?

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Who did you buy it off out of interest? Someone local?

10. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok cool. Thank you.
    The majority of our conversations are on email so I'm collecting evidence as I go.

11. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was Greenwing motors from Hale.
    He has a lovely selection of cars but unfortunately not a great customer service.

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

oh right.

The reason I asked was the story reminded me of a local Scottish used car dealer who advertises on Signal radio a lot. I know someone who had terrible trouble with a Civic steering rack fault and he just kept passing the buck on to the used car warranty company instead of taking responsibility.

13. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah yes, I know the guy. In fact "Everybody knows!"

Pottermus likes this.
  14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Sims77 I hope you don't mind me asking but did you take out any finance on the car?

If so you have the right to launch a purchase or credit dispute under consumer credit legislation if you are getting nowhere.

Then the dealer CANNOT pass the buck as the finance company will be on his case 24/7.

15. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No unfortunately.
    It was a cash payment but according to the CAB we could ask the bank to claw back the money and then dump the car on him.

16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Shame but it's good to hear there is a potential path for you to get this sorted.

At the end of the day, regardless of payment method, the goods must be of saleable quality and fit for purpose under the Sale of Good Act.

17. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well an email has been sent to the dealer stating that its repair, replace or refund. I await his reply

FirstHonda and Zebster like this.
  18. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

always annoying to read stuff like this. hope this gets resolved to your full satisfaction and hopefully the CR-V fixed.
    those warranties provided by small dealers like independents are seriously not worth the paper they are written on.

best of luck

Sims77 likes this.
  19. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

He's agreed to get the throttle fixed at a garage local to him but still won't admit the brakes or drop link.
    He tried to say that this would settle the issue.

The wife has agreed to get the throttle done but told him that this wasn't the final settlement.

20. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd confirm that the replacement APP sensor is a new one.